Da_Hollander

From "listen server" mission to "dedicated server".

Hello everyone,

As the title says, I'm looking for a way to rewrite a mission file so it doesn't need to be hosted client side anymore.

I've been working on a pre-existing mission file the last couple of weeks (Dynamic Universal War System, originally made by Kibot) and I think it has a lot of potential. The downside is that it has been written in a way that there are specific  things in the mission that require the host.

As example, at the initial mission launch you (the host) will have to select a location for your base to spawn. How could I make it so that a specific player will have this 'power'?

This also applies to requesting a side-mission. This has to be done by the host, no one but the host can do that.

Unfortunately I currently have no clue where to look for and therefore how I could possibly change this..

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Kindest Regards,

Da_Hollander

Also, because of the need of a host, it will not work on dedicated servers, as there is no one who will have that 'power' to select a location for the main base and do all the configurations at init start of the mission. 

I assume that making it so that a random player will be assigned, an admin or a specific userID (granting him the position of the host normally would have) would solve the host issue and therefore making it possible to play this on dedicated servers. 

But as previously written I have no idea what and where to look for.

Any clues or information that can help me with that is greatly appreciated. Even if it simply is not possible to re-write this mission to support dedi's.

Well , basically there is a possibility to do that but it would be not  easy.

Better way is create your own new mission pointed to dedicated server.

This is not to hard like you think. There are large community library of script.

With these and this forum and editor you can  achieve what you need.

Allright, so it would be best to start from the ground (aimed at dedi's) and build it back up?

As long as you have semi solid MP scripting knowledge it's easy as breathe (or other thing starting with F)

Check my Antistasi, on the signature, which has precisely the "say where you want your HQ" feature on the first minute, fully compatible with SP, MP hosted and MP dedi.

Things like a client deciding where to spawn an HQ is a combination of remoteExec(I do it with BIS_fnc_MP) check if the player is the one and publicvariables...

Now, maybe adapting DUWS to MP Dedi, departing from scratch, takes you more time for you than building your own DUWS from zero.

..or play Antistasi :)

Uff sounds like a lot of work.

Antistasi seems promising, I will try it for sure! :)

A bit off-topic, may I know how/where you've gained so much knowledge to make such an advanced mission like Antistasi Altis?

Spending half of my life reading every post in the bohemia forum ;)

• Like 2