Sign in to follow this  
lawman_actual

ARMA 3 - virtual artillery fire on given position

Hello

I am trying to understand how to get a virtual artillery battery to fire on a designated position.

I've read through the biki page on artillery modules but it all seems to relate to Arma 2.

When I attempted to follow the example in Arma 3 I just got "undefined variable" errors for the functions mentioned (such as BIS_ARTY_F_ExecuteTemplateMission)

The following I have trialled with a virtual support provider module:

//Arty test

_heTemplate = ["IMMEDIATE", "HE", 0, 15];

_targetPos = getPosASL target1;

["arty1", _targetPos, _heTemplate] call BIS_ARTY_F_ExecuteTemplateMission;

player sideChat "Requesting firemission.";

But again...undefined variable.

Problems I have encountered:

1) Can't find a list of arty related functions in the functions viewer.

2) No idea how to find out what to type in the "vehicle types" field of the virtual module. I tried a simple "MLRS" but it said undefined....

General advice on how to proceed welcome.

Failing this I'm thinking of spawning in the shells myself without the Arty module.

For Vehicle types you will want the classname from here:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_CfgVehicles_WEST

Or open the Config Viewer in the editor (ctrl - G)

e.g B_MBT_01_mlrs_F is the MRLS

Also this post might help if you wanted to do it with real units firing on markers.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/154838-finally-got-artillery-working-right/

Ah, thanks MagicPanda (amazing name).

This sort of example is what I needed, but couldn't seem to find.

I'm exhausted now but I'll be sure to analyse it in detail over the next few days and see if I can get this thing rolling.

Or try this one.

1. Stick a Mortar down name it mortar1

2. Stick a trigger down with Activation being Blufor detected by Opfor repeatedly.

3 In the on Activation list stick.

mortar1 commandArtilleryFire [getposatl (thislist select 0), "8Rnd_82mm_Mo_shells", 4]; /change the 4 to however many shells.

4. Stick yourself and a couple of Opfor down and get thier attention. 

5. Run like buggery.

Excellent, thanks again Panda

This nicely bypasses the arty module, which is perfect except for one useful feature I wanted from it....

If you decide to spawn shells rather than track from start to finish you can manually set the spread.

My GUI has a field for spread (tight, scattered or normal - like in operation flashpoint dragon rising) so I kind of wanted to play with this.

I think it would be cool to be able to select different spreads for different applications.

I could toy with applying a modifier that "wobbles" the target position by a random bearing and set distance for different scatterings, but the most accurate you could get would be standard fire on a fixed point.

I have a feeling that over large distances this might not feel very "tight", even if it is realistic....

Any thoughts on If I wanted to make the fire of real units slightly (but not too) more accurate?

________________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: having field tested a Mk6 mortar, perhaps the standard could be considered close enough. I will think  on this

I'd still like to hear your thoughts though if there may be a way to alter accuracy

Edited by lawman_actual