Sign in to follow this  
bolbies

Sporadic Freezing/Stuttering

Hi, for some reason ArmA 3 will drop down to 0 FPS about every 5-10 seconds. This has been going on for about a week in both singleplayer and multiplayer, and even the main menu. All of my drivers are up to date, none of my other games are doing it, I have already validated and reinstalled, and there's nothing in the rpt. Is anybody else having this issue?

Are you running arma3 + mods from an ssd or mechanical hard disk? If it's a mechanical disk have you defragged it recently?

Try using resource monitor to see what the hard disk is doing when the slowdowns occur, it's possible that the game is simply waiting for data to be streamed of the disk.

sorry for using this thread. but i need to make a new thread and it will not let me. i have a problem with arma 3 which i cannot find anywhere on the internet and i cannot play arma till this is resolved. can anyone help me? or atleast pm me on how to make a thread. and sorry again for using your thread.

It's a hard disk but I haven't defragged it in about a month or so so I'll try that. I stared at the task manager for a while but it isn't struggling with anything and doesn't say it's not responding. It also seems like it also does it only when I'm moving. If I stand still I'm fine, but once I turn or walk, it starts stuttering.

I don't think task manager will show the problem sufficiently, run resmon.exe and watch the disk tab if the disk queue lengths spike in relation to the sturrering then that could point towards the hard disk. It might be worth installing defraggler, that will allow you to only defrag the arma3 folder (right click and defrag folder from submenu) so you don't need to wait for the whole disk to run through.

May want to look at dust-bunnies too --inspect the cpu heatsink lately?

I don't think task manager will show the problem sufficiently, run resmon.exe and watch the disk tab if the disk queue lengths spike in relation to the sturrering then that could point towards the hard disk. It might be worth installing defraggler, that will allow you to only defrag the arma3 folder (right click and defrag folder from submenu) so you don't need to wait for the whole disk to run through.

There are definitely spikes in the hard faults/sec section. They go all the way to the top. What is that?

Hard faults are Microsoft's description of the page file being used. Basically your machine is running out of ram and starting to write data to the page file on the hard disk.

How much ram do you have? Use the maxmem start-up command to limit the amount of ram used by arma to 1gig below what you have installed and it should stop paging so much.

Hard faults are Microsoft's description of the page file being used. Basically your machine is running out of ram and starting to write data to the page file on the hard disk.

How much ram do you have? Use the maxmem start-up command to limit the amount of ram used by arma to 1gig below what you have installed and it should stop paging so much.

16gb of ram. I also ran the windows memory diagnostic tool and it didn't find any problems.

With that much ram you can pretty much disable the page file, it shouldn't be using the page file anyway. Was it arma3.exe that was causing the hard faults or another process?

With that much ram you can pretty much disable the page file, it shouldn't be using the page file anyway. Was it arma3.exe that was causing the hard faults or another process?

It's only arma 3. Nothing else is open, no background processes like AVG pushing the computer, nothing. Plus it's ONLY arma 3. Every other game like DayZ and Dying Light run fine.

Try reducing your page file to minimum and see if that helps, also try artificially limiting maxmem to 3-4gb. Which memory allocator are you using?

How much ram does your machine normally use when playing? I have 8gb and set maxmem to 8192mb with the tbbmalloc allocator, I regularly see ram usage top 5.5gb in-game (recorded with afterburner osd) but no slowdowns. I have an 800mb page file on the my ssd but it doesn't get used.

I use tbbmalloc and use about 5gb in-game as well. I think may be fine now but I'll have to test some more later.

Was this sp or mp that it seems ok with now? Could be linked to server hardware slow down if sp is now ok, another thought windows wasn't updating was it?

It was multiplayer on a listen server. Haven't tried singleplayer and no windows wasn't updating.

Alright well I played for a few hours and it seems to be fixed. Thank you so much forteh!

Perhaps it was just a random wobbly that caused Windows to page arma3 lots, glad it's sorted though :)