Sign in to follow this  
Lehy

Invisible head for full face helmets

Hello everyone!

I am currently working on a full face helmet. This helmet will provide protection to the entire head of the user.

There is a problem though! The ears are clipping out of the model in a unrealistic way.

Here's the picture of what I mean.

http://oi60.tinypic.com/2llkj6u.jpg (102 kB)

The question is: how can I hide the head, just like the pilot helmet, sniper suit, etc does? Do I need to work around with LODs?

Even if I work around it,there would still be a problem. It will sure hit the graphic performances because the head is rendered in vain.

The heads are not hidden, the character model of the Ghillie is completely different, and the pilot helmet is modeled around the head.......if you modelled it yourself or at least have the source files adjust the shape of the helmet to fit the head, not the other way around

The heads are not hidden, the character model of the Ghillie is completely different, and the pilot helmet is modeled around the head.......if you modelled it yourself or at least have the source files adjust the shape of the helmet to fit the head, not the other way around

Not quite so... If you noclip in the pilot helmet, there is no head at all. The Ghille has that thing too, it remodels the face and hides all the headgears.

It is useless rendering a model if it is hidden. I don't want to shape it, since I modelled it anatomically correct. The mask should stick on the face properly, at least, in reality.

You see, most models like the clothing, replace your body, in game. It is not an additional layer, there is not your body under the clothes. The clothing transorms into your body.

Same thing applies to the pilot helmet. There's no head under it.

Get your facts straight if you're going to make such statements.

After a whole day of researches, i've found this:

if you don't want the game to display a head, helmet, glasses, vest or backpack on your character, then simply erase those appropriate proxies in all LODs. Note: a head proxy is called \A3\characters_f\Heads\bysta

I believe that now I can work it around, this thread can be closed.

After a whole day of researches, i've found this:

if you don't want the game to display a head, helmet, glasses, vest or backpack on your character, then simply erase those appropriate proxies in all LODs. Note: a head proxy is called \A3\characters_f\Heads\bysta.

That is correct if you are making a complete player character model, you can remove those proxies and therefore those items will not be visible on the character model. You see this when you go into First Person View and look around, the players head is not present, because that proxy was removed from the View Pilot in the model.

In the case of your balaclava, which I believe you want to be an item (Glasses, Headgear) that you can equip. You cannot do anything to make the head invisible when you equip your item.

Not quite so... If you noclip in the pilot helmet, there is no head at all. The Ghille has that thing too, it remodels the face and hides all the headgears.

It is useless rendering a model if it is hidden. I don't want to shape it, since I modelled it anatomically correct. The mask should stick on the face properly, at least, in reality.

You see, most models like the clothing, replace your body, in game. It is not an additional layer, there is not your body under the clothes. The clothing transorms into your body.

Same thing applies to the pilot helmet. There's no head under it.

I can't explain this any other way than, the proxy you mention, "A3\characters_f\Heads\bysta.p3d" is the head model, but it contains the head, down to the neck, and you can still see the neck when you have a pilot helmet on, so head is still visible.

If you do not want the ears to clip through your balaclava you will have to approach it like BI and community modders have done for all the Vests, Helmets, Glasses, Gasmasks, Backpacks that are already in game or available, model it you suit the ARMA 3 characters proportions.

All your statements about layering are correct if you are making a standalone character model for game or rendering, but we are not talking about that, we are talking the intricacies of modding in ARMA, and any modular items are additional layers over the top, no way to get around that unless you are going into making your own character models that have the balaclava as a fixed part of the base model, not a equipable addition.

Edited by pastor399
Fixed Qoute Tag :s

That is correct if you are making a complete player character model, you can remove those proxies and therefore those items will not be visible on the character model. You see this when you go into First Person View and look around, the players head is not present, because that proxy was removed from the View Pilot in the model.

In the case of your balaclava, which I believe you want to be an item (Glasses, Headgear) that you can equip. You cannot do anything to make the head invisible when you equip your item.

I can't explain this any other way than, the proxy you mention, "A3\characters_f\Heads\bysta.p3d" is the head model, but it contains the head, down to the neck, and you can still see the neck when you have a pilot helmet on, so head is still visible.

If you do not want the ears to clip through your balaclava you will have to approach it like BI and community modders have done for all the Vests, Helmets, Glasses, Gasmasks, Backpacks that are already in game or available, model it you suit the ARMA 3 characters proportions.

All your statements about layering are correct if you are making a standalone character model for game or rendering, but we are not talking about that, we are talking the intricacies of modding in ARMA, and any modular items are additional layers over the top, no way to get around that unless you are going into making your own character models that have the balaclava as a fixed part of the base model, not a equipable addition.

I see, I'm sorry, I didn't knew that.

Thank you for helping me out. Looks like I have no choiche! I'll remodel the headgear to match Arma 3 heads, then.

Thanks again.