Sign in to follow this  
ejanvi

Anyone found best settings...

Or equivalent configuration? All on Win98SE.

There are more settings than in OFP, and some compromises seem difficult to make (ex: Terrain Detail vs. Visibility... Screen Depth vs. Image Quality...)

I am currently playing in 1200 x 960, Terrain Details Very High (don't quite know what this means, but I like the concept), Visibility of 900 (too bad for the scenery...), Framerates requested around 15-25, HW T&L, Object Shadows Enabled (curious to see that the default is Disabled!wink.gif, Drop-Down x2, and most other settings not touched from their "automatic" configuration with "Preferences".

I have also kept my previous GeForce settings ("4S antialiasing" on, "anisotropic filtering set by application").

I also reset Windows Virtual Memory to automatic after OFP went to desktop telling me that my HD was too small for the Fixed Virtual Memory I had set (in which OFP was wrong). Since then, I did not have this issue anymore.

Picture is nice (I love in particular all the new bumps & holes in the terrain, which make the fighting and the movements so different from what it was with OFP - although I don't know if this is correlated to the "terrain detail" - and the new trees with their 100% realistic leaves...), and fluidity is not bad.

However there is some bad stuttering here and there (looks to me like some memory management issues) especially noticeable in the Videos, and I am sure that my settings could be much improved either in terms of stability of FPS, or of quality of image. Question is how?

E.

PS: Oh, and by the way, I have two identical systems set on 2 partitions of the same disk (meaning sharing same hardware - done with System Commander 7), where I upgraded the GeForce drivers to the same latest version (29.80).

Well, OFP was working fine with System 2 before the upgrade (i.e. when driver version was 27.50). Now, neither OFP nor Resistance work on System 2 (with drivers 29.80: systematic freeze a few seconds within the Intro movie). But they work fine on System 1 with exactly the same config (Win 98SE, same shared hardware, same apps on both systems, 29.80 drivers)...

And OFP worked on none of the two systems when I was using 28.32 drivers. I am going mad...