Sign in to follow this  
clay_more

Terrain builder and heightmap issues and freezes

hello dear arma community. in teh past few days ive been adamantly working on trying to get some custom content into this beatiful new installment of the arma series.

ive got myself an example map, the steam tools, mikeros tools too which are needed. and here already start the problems:

ive got the best hardware (laptop) money can buy. i7 core, 32 gb ram, intel hd 4600 graphics, nvidia gtx 880 m as the main powerhouse, 1 terrabyte HDD and 256gb SSD. everything recently updated.

it runs arma 3 just fine. but in the terrain editor i get random freezes to the point where i have to restart the computer. its slow to respond and makes my gpu roar like and animal... this shouldnt happen, even when i set the main gpu for this program to be run by the gtx 880.

second point:

no matter where i import my heightmaps from, be it world machine, or mudbox, arma always manages to screw up the maps while importing (it seems to turn my heightmap into something like an ambient occlusion mop as i get grey and white nyances all over the place) resulting in enormous spikes everywhere when you enter the map ingame, reaching as far a over 65km into the sky.

while world machine has just initial troubbles with the terrain i can adjust in the height and width settings, in arma there seems to be no such thing, or at least im ignrorant of this....

does anybody know how to at least fix the heightmap issues im facing ? it doesnt matter if its a deposition, displacement or heightmap, the result is the same as far as the issues go. formats ive tried were tiff 16 bit, png, raw 16, all the same result.

i have used a tutorial map found on the wiki, which worked splendidly.... no spikes nothing, just smooth terrain. ive reused config files and whatnot for my terrain too for testing purpuoses.

i would really appreciate it if some of the terrainmaker veterans could give me a hand as i dont know what to do anymore to fix this...

Edited by Clay_More