Sign in to follow this  
mistaparadox

Arma crashing internet and microphone due to VON/PTT

Greetings everyone,

I initially posted this same issue over on the Task Force Arrowhead Radio because I thought it was related to them, however, as I just played a game without TFAR and still crashed, I realized it was due to Arma's VON/PTT radio transmitting system. I've experience this issue countless times and the end result is always the same: I need to manually restart my computer with the restart button.

Let me begin with what caused the issue this time. I was playing on an Altis Life server (no mods on my end) with some friends and we were using the in-game group channel to communicate. I noticed it was acting odd, as my Push-To-Talk and Voice Over Net weren't working the way they should. Holding my PTT would do nothing, and VON just wouldn't work at all. The only time I could (rarely) transmit my voice would be if I just kept talking and then randomly I would see my name pop up in green text in the bottom right saying I was transmitting. After troubleshooting with multiple keys and different settings, I eventually couldn't talk at all. When I ran a Windows Sound test to check if my microphone was even working at all, it showed as Enabled, but no input was coming through when I was talking. My computer didn't receive any data about my voice. Additionally, any webpage that I tried to open, my Skype, my Dropbox, all got disconnected. If I opened a new tab in Google Chrome, it said that I was not connected to the internet; however, I could still hear my friends talking to me through the game (as well as TeamSpeak 3) and I was connected perfectly to the server without any lag. In the past when I have experienced this, I have pulled out my WiFi USB Receiver, and my Internet access status bar on the bottom right of my screen showing the WiFi status showed as connected, even though I had no internet.

This has caused countless problems for me, and I have even bluescreened because of it. Like I said, if I want to fix it, the end result is just manually pushing the button to restart my computer. If I go through the Windows Start Menu to restart my computer, it will log off fine, but when I get to the final status screen saying that my computer is shutting down, it will stay there from 10-20 minutes on that screen and eventually bluescreen, not restarting correctly and potentially harming my computer. I am an avid player of the Arma series and own several games, however, I am extremely discouraged by the fact that it is literally making me incapable of playing anything or even operating my computer at times. If anyone has any sort of information or can help me out, I will be monitoring this thread continuously to see if it is even possible to get this fixed.

Thank you very much for your time,

-MistaParadox

Additional Info:

Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit Professional Service Pack 1

Processor: Intel i5-4670K CPU @ 3.40GHz

RAM: 8GB

Also, I have posted this issue in the TFAR page, as I said, and as they are the only posts on my account, they are easily viewed on my profile if you would like more information there. Thank you.

Edited by MistaParadox

Wondering if you got 'windows hot-keys' enabled thru the 'ease of access' thingy?

Wondering if you got 'windows hot-keys' enabled thru the 'ease of access' thingy?

Not sure what you mean by that. I'm looking at the Ease of Access Center now and went to "Make the keyboard easier to use" section, and all I have checked is the "Turn on Toggle Keys by holding down the NUM LOCK key for 5 seconds" and nothing else.

Anyone got any advice? It's still happening and very frustrating that I have nothing to do about it.

Hey MistaParadox

I keep having the same problem as you while playing on altis life asylum servers. Have you found out any fix yet? If i find out anything helpful i will definitely post it here.

I'm able to play without the crashing issue when i keep my microphone off when i don't talk. I have a mic button on my headset so i keep pressing that on/off. If i keep it on and somebody talks in direct chat close to me my mic might stop working maybe even in 5 seconds and internet and everything. That's only thing that i have found helpful to be able to play the game. The customer support gave their best to trying to help me with different fixes but none of them helped... Rly wierd issue.