Sign in to follow this  
smokehut

New approach to life servers.

I was playing about making scripts yesterday, and managed to piece together something that would change the play ability of life servers all together.

If you've ever played Garry's Mod Life, then you'll be familiar with the way they approach civilians utilizing shops and a like, the thing that makes it easy on Garry's Mod is the Phys Gun.

So, I took advantage of being able to lock doors, ammo boxes and building health.

Here's it in the hypothetical term.

Player walks into the weapons dealership, which has yet to be purchased.

Player has the option to purchase the dealership.

If purchased they now have control of the locked state of the doors to that building.

Outside of the building is an empty Weapons Box "collectBox", inside there are two weapons boxes "supplyBox" & "swapBox".

Player can either order a weapon shipment which will cost them $x which will deliver a set amount of rifles/handguns/ammunition into the ammo box that we will call "supplyBox".

Player#2 arrives and wishes to purchase a handgun from the dealer, he either trades the person directly the cash required, or inputs it into some sort of payment bank which is unique to the shop *i will get to this later.

Player receives the cash for the weapon and ammunition that they have agreed upon, takes the weapons from the "supplyBox" and puts them into the "swapBox".

Now player has the actionMenu to transfer items from the "swapBox" to the "collectBox" which is outside of the store. Making it a safe transaction.

Player#2 leaves with their weapon and Player has profited.

Other things that could be added with a system of distribution like this.

General Stores

Vehicle Stores

Safe Keeping Stores

Food Stores

And another thing which would be interesting..

A security team that could take advantage of these stores holding so much cash, and do not wish to leave their store with the cash to deposit it at the nearest ATM due to the risk of being robbed. The security team act like a safe transport for the funds.

For instance like I said earlier, the money is deposited into the "paymentBank" which can be retrieved by the gun store owner in the form of a black box, containing a variable for the amount of cash contained within..? This box can be placed into the Security Van and once the van arrives back at it's depot, the funds are automatically deposited into each shop owners bank accounts with a percentage removed for the security team..

When I was playing around last night I got as far as...

Locking Doors after purchasing the property.

supplyBox, swapBox and collectBox all worked perfectly with a timed delay between shipments arriving.

I think if this could be incorporated into the current life servers it would make role-playing a civilian a much better range of things to do that are legal. As at the moment, you can run diamonds for endless hours and then buy a gun to rob people.. And that's literally the moral of the story..

I know it's possible if I as a php programmer can get to grips with the Arma API to create this within my first day of using it, then someone who's much more experienced than me can utilize this idea to turn life servers into something much more formidable..