Sign in to follow this  
beerhunter125

Change position in vehicle

Even tried searching Google but all I could find were scripts for moving the AI.

What happened to the easy method where the player could enter a vehicle as pilot/gunner/driver etc.,change easily positions or direct one of his squad members to enter as a driver then direct him to move somewhere? Did I miss something??

You still can. Some vehicles don't allow you to switch seats that easily though. You can order AI to specific positions through the command menu. Command the unit into the vehicle and then give him a move waypoint.

At least, I think you are talking about in game and not mission making....

Fr mission making you would use the assignAs[Driver, gunner, etc] and getIn commands.

I'm referring to mission building.

It's too bad it's become so complex as to require scripting. In ArmA2 it was simply "get is as..whatever position". You could tell you're AI squad member to get in as the driver then "move to" and the vehicle would drive / fly to where you wanted it.

I don't seem to find these commands on the menus anywhere. They always seem to simply get in as passengers and I don't seem to be able to get in as the driver either unless I specify Player as the driver which isn't what I want.

Why they screwed that up is beyond me.

It's not that hard... The AI will get into the driver spot by default if you give them a GetIn waypoint.

Here's a small scenario I built in ArmA2.

Myself and 4 AI in Humvee to clear town. Parked Humvee a ways back and advanced. cleared town. Sent 2 AI back to get Humvee..inserted one as driver and second as gunner. Moved Humvee to far end of town. Gunner engaged last few enemies. Had Humvee come back , we all got in and I instructed the driver where to go (with the "move to" command).

Something like that's not feasible with way points as AFAIK they have to be inserted in the editor before the scenario begins.

Kind of frustrating after spending so much on the game (unless I'm mistaken or there's a work around I haven't found yet).

That's still possible with simple waypoints and triggers.

I'm referring to mission building.

It's too bad it's become so complex as to require scripting. In ArmA2 it was simply "get is as..whatever position". You could tell you're AI squad member to get in as the driver then "move to" and the vehicle would drive / fly to where you wanted it.

I don't seem to find these commands on the menus anywhere. They always seem to simply get in as passengers and I don't seem to be able to get in as the driver either unless I specify Player as the driver which isn't what I want.

Why they screwed that up is beyond me.

As fight9 said it's all still there in the commanding menu and has not changed since Arma2?

Select AI with F1 - F11

Vehicle options are 4 key

Select vehicle and seating options menu appears get in: Driver,Gunner,Commander,Ride in Back

Select driver with function keys then move to - open map and click middle mouse button.

Odd because when I command AI to get in vehicle I don't see a position option , the AI simply mounts as a passenger.

Vehicle is unlocked and playable. I do see a "where" but can't seem to scroll down and activate it. I must be doing something wrong.

Odd because when I command AI to get in vehicle I don't see a position option , the AI simply mounts as a passenger.

Vehicle is unlocked and playable. I do see a "where" but can't seem to scroll down and activate it. I must be doing something wrong.

It does sound like it?!

Press F2 to select you 1st AI teamate

Press 4 to display nearby vehicles

Select the vehicle from the list

Menu will appear with something like

1.Anywhere

2.Driver

4.Gunner

5.Ride in back

If there is only 1 vehicle on the map the keys to press in sequence will be

F2-4-2-2

to move your 1st AI team mate into the driver position of the vehicle.

Doesn't seem to work..for me anyway.

Vehicle IFV-6c unlocked and made playable as "commander/driver/gunner"

Key press: F2 , 4 and selected vehicle.

All I see is:

1. Anywhere

5. Ride in Back

and at the bottom "where" which I cant scroll down to.

If I select "anywhere" the AI simply mounts as a passenger.

To boot , I can't select the vehicle and command it to move anywhere either. It just sits there with my squad in it.

Please..where am I going wrong. Seems I should be setting up a vehicle with no crew then I could crew it with MY aAI and command them but there doesn't seem to be that option in the menus.

What's the "colored" vehicle? There are colored blocks beside the vehicle but have no idea what they are for or mean.

Am I jumping way ahead of myself? I'm just using what I already know from the ArmA2 editor (sans any scripts).

When placing a vehicle, make sure its under the "Empty" side. If you select NATO, OPFOR, or IND, it will spawn with AI already in the main vehicle positions.

Make sure the vehicle icon is yellow, not red, blue, green, or purple. Yellow is empty, no one spawns inside.

Ahhh!! I didnt know that.`

Thanks for all your help..I think I can figure it out now with the information you provided (and some additional reading I think I need to do).

Once again...`many thanks.