Sign in to follow this  
OlympusMons

ToM Bugs, Issues, Suggestions, Questions

Hey guys!

First let me say that I saw this game in the Steam Store... told myself I should really save my money, and then after a week of thinking about it decided it was too good to pass up, and bought it last night. I am not disappointed.

I have played for probably 8-9 Hours. I love it. Nonetheless, Here are my suggestions and bugs I have noticed.

I am running a SONY VIAO with Windows 7 64-bit if it matters.

*UPDATED 10/3/13, because some of these things have been fixed and/or addressed elsewhere*

BUGS:

*If I land manually, the sound from the rockets never goes off, I can hear the engine roar throughout the entire mission.

*During Landing, The Heat Shield looks comically large compared to the craft, and the exhaust/burn don't quite align with the thrusters. Similarly, the sky crane's cables dont align with the rover when landing sometimes

SUGGESTIONS:

*Weather warnings are really annoying. Instead of a pop up message for a storm at every location, perhaps have a "Weather Status" panel somewhere in the GUI that lists current conditions, and flashes red if there is a storm. Otherwise, during landing I have to close like 4 or 5 warning boxes about storms in all these different locations.

*Ability to drive actual replicas of Curiosity, Spirit, Opportunity, Viking 1 & 2, etc. There are some with a strong resemblance, but I mean an actual replica. I imagine this as a scenario, outside of the main game, where you re-trace the actual mission.

*I'd love to see the Victoria Crater map expanded so we can explore the entire route that Opportunity has been taken (Perhaps as an add-on?). I know it is huuuuge, probably too huge, but it would give an awesome feel for just how far the rover has travelled.

*Tutorial that tells you what to do the first time you launch. I spend my first landing looking at the static screen being really confused until I by chance pressed the "c" button. I crashed though because I had pressed other buttons not knowing what was going on.

*The stars are visible during early/late day (perhaps this happens on Mars, but it certainly should not happen in Mars Yard on Earth)

ISSUES? (Could be me, could be a bug)

*The first rover at Victoria Crater had no forward facing camera, only a back one, I had to back up to go everywhere. Perhaps switch the position to the front or add two cameras?

QUESTIONS

*If I choose Real Time mode, does that mean I am on the same schedule at the people who actually operate the Mars craft and have to shift their schedule by 45 minutes every day since Mars has a slightly shorter day than us? Like when it is sunrise on Gale Crater in game, does that mean the sun is rising on Gale Crater IRL? If so that is AWESOME.

*Same question regarding placement and location of the stars over time.

Overall though, this is AMAZING!

The only reason I have so many suggestions is that after being so impressed by the realism and attention to detail (Like solar panels charging faster when angled towards sun) I started to think of what else could make it better, what could make it PERFECT?

I actually study Geology and Planetary Science, so I was really happy to see the word "Phyllosilicates" in-game. Please continue to give this much attention to detail and the actual science behind Mars.

THANKS!

Edited by OlympusMons
Updates

If you aren't already, I would opt into the Development Beta in the Steam options for the game. You get bugfixes and refinements every day or two during the week. For instance, I'm pretty sure the Skip Time chooser was changed from that tiny slider over to a dropdown menu (or if it hasn't, Dram has said it will be changed in the near future).