Sign in to follow this  
FrankTh3Tank95

Game continues to freeze

Hi all,

I recently built a new computer for the purpose of playing some of the new games coming out, including Arma 3. I haven't played any of the previous Arma titles, but I have been playing Arma 3 and it's incredible. I am having one problem, which can get frustrating, and that is the game freezes from time to time. I have played the game for about 30 hours, and bought it almost 3 weeks ago. When I do play it can be for extended amounts of time, at the most 5 hours. It's easy to lose track of time when playing this game. Anyway, the game has froze 5-6 times, and I have to bring up task manager to close it. At first I thought it was because I was playing it for such long periods of time, but I was on today for hardly 10 minutes when it froze on me!

As I said before, I just built my first computer, merely for gaming purposes. Not sure if the specs will be helpful but here they are just in case.

CPU-Intel Core i5 3570k 3.4 GHz

GPU-Gigabyte Geforce GTX 770

RAM- 8GB

MOBO- MSI Z77A-G45

I have not overclocked anything, but I run it on ultra settings at around 30 fps. (Actually I'm not entirely sure what the exact fps is, that is just what the game says when I adjust the settings in the options). My case is well cooled and I've checked the temps after the game freezes to see if the problem is overheating but they are no where near high.

Any help is appreciated, let me know if you have any questions! Thanks in advance for any help!

online or offline

---------- Post added at 04:30 ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 ----------

coop or wasteland or singleplayer which mission

I mostly play wasteland, but I played Stratis Life for awhile, and it might have done it once on there too. The rest of the time it would be wasteland.

You said you've checked your temperatures, what did your CPU and GPU go up to? anything over 70 is problematic.

Poorly written missions can also cause freezes/locks. Certain Wasteland variants are appalling in terms of code quality.

Hmm well I will have to check again next time it freezes, I didn't write down the exact temps, but I do know they weren't over 70.

I ran some stress tests again such as MSI Kombustor and Prime95, because the first time I ran them I don't think they ran for a full 12 hours. This time they ran for about 14 hours, and the temps for the GPU were 36(minimum) and 65(maximum). For the CPU, it showed all the cores but here are the temps for the first one: 30(minimum) and 57(maximum). Those were measured in Celsius but that could go without saying.

Anyway not sure if that info is relevant but if it can help solve the problem then I might as well post it.

And about the wasteland servers, I found a specific set of servers that I really enjoy, which is wasteland by Sa-Matra. That was the first variant I played and I tried playing another type but I ended up going back to Sa-Matra, so much fun! It seems like a reliable set of servers to play on, but what do I know, I have barely been playing for a month!