Sign in to follow this  
Killbilly

Missiles suddenly won't lock . . .

I have tested this with no mods (not even CBA) enabled except OA, BAF, and PMC. Suddenly, for some reason, I can't get missiles to lock on to a target unless they are directly (and I mean DIRECTLY) in front of the vehicle. For example, I'm flying the AH-64, and there are enemy tanks about 600m away. There is no terrain blocking my view. The tanks are firing at me like mad. They are in front of the helicopter and red in the little radar screen. I press my lock on key (which I have reassigned several times just to check) and nothing happens. I have to nose down and center the tank so that it is exactly in front of the cursor (no deflection at all) before the lock will happen. This, of course, means that it is nearly impossible to lock on to anything outside of visual range (especially in Air to Air combat where your opponent is constantly on the move).

My question is this: does anyone know where the file that controls this function of the game is located and how I might go about finding and repairing it without having to resort to a full reinstall?

No answers, eh? Well here's some more information after a little bit of trials: the only missiles that seem to be affected are the air-launched kind. The Javelin, TOW, and all other surface-launched missiles capable of locks work normally. The air-to-air and air-to-ground missiles will not lock on to a target unless the target is exacly centered on the cursor. After lock, the missiles perform as expected and will track the target. This happens in aircraft with single or multiple crew. It happens in manual fire or non-manual fire modes. It happens if the player is the gunner or the player is the pilot, however AI aircraft appear to be able to lock normally in some cases (it's hard to tell for sure). Another oddity is that the parachute on ejection seems to be broken as well. If I eject from an aircraft, the parachute opens as normal, but only stays open for a few seconds. I then appear to be standing in the air with my weapon drawn as I fall the rest of the way to my death. Again, this happens with NO mods enabled. I only show A2, OA, BAF, and PMC enabled in the game. Any ideas at all would be helpful.

Make a new profile with new user settings and see what happens. Also verify your cache if on steam.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it out tomorrow.

You, maturin, are a genius! The new profile works. It was a bit of a pain reassigning all my controls, but now missile locks work perfectly. Thanks!