Sign in to follow this  
Incognito84

Will the alpha be available in all countries?

The reason I ask is because about 20% of F2P, alpha/beta games or demos aren't available in here in Korea. Steam seems to have a huge amount of games that for some unknown reason say "unavailable in your region". This includes a lot of popular games, and a few games that were available in beta before their normal release.

Will the alpha be available here in South Korea? Thanks.

Just buy it from store.bistudio.com and the availability shouldn't be a problem, I think.

What Korea are we talking about here though?

Well then I see no reason why it shouldn't be available there. I'd definitely check with Steam however as store.bistudio.com purchases only give you a Steam key.

The thing is that there is no store page for it at all. It's not in the coming soon section either. Usually games that aren't out yet still at least have a store page.

The thing is that there is no store page for it at all. It's not in the coming soon section either. Usually games that aren't out yet still at least have a store page.

It is not in the store for anyone anywhere. It won't appear until the 5th.

South Korea has banned any game that mentions the war between North and South Korea to avoid tensions between the two countries. But from 2006 this was stopped to allow free expression and not many games have been banned so i think you'll be fine. Those living in the United Arab Emirates and Venezuela, these two country have been known to ban a significant amount of games. Venezuela have taken to ban all video games in which the objective was to shoot people, and UAE have banned allot of games but often this is more down to sexual scene or gore so may be okay. China may also be a risk, i believe they banned OPFP DR and OPFP RR because the PLA are portrayed as the 'bad guys' but i'm not entirely sure about that.

South Korea has banned any game that mentions the war between North and South Korea to avoid tensions between the two countries. But from 2006 this was stopped to allow free expression and not many games have been banned so i think you'll be fine. Those living in the United Arab Emirates and Venezuela, these two country have been known to ban a significant amount of games. Venezuela have taken to ban all video games in which the objective was to shoot people, and UAE have banned allot of games but often this is more down to sexual scene or gore so may be okay. China may also be a risk, i believe they banned OPFP DR and OPFP RR because the PLA are portrayed as the 'bad guys' but i'm not entirely sure about that.

Okay, that makes sense.

There are quite a number of games I can't buy on Steam because they've been blocked in the region. I think it's more related to Korea's gaming ecosystem than it is to censorship. Games like Planetside 2, Blacklight: Retribution, all the Battlefield games etc. don't show up on Steam/aren't available here is because they worked out a deal with a Korean publisher to distribute a different version of the game designed to be played on local services/in cyber cafes and so on. They basically "Korean-ize" the games before releasing them (I can't access 80% of F2P games on Steam for this reason).

As far as Alpha and Betas go, I think the reason has to do with the developer not seeing any reason to release them in non-English speaking countries where they won't get any feedback. I've seen that happen quite a few times and missed out on a few betas because of it.

Anyway, it sounds like they're not blocking it anywhere. If BI was a AAA developer based in the US, then I'd have more of a reason to be worried!

So far, the only country that has banned ArmA 3 is Iran and that's because they're being portrayed as the baddies. I don't think the game will be banned or unavailable anywhere else otherwise, it would have been mentioned by now.