Sign in to follow this  
Facemeister75

Massive missions

I have 1.47 ghz, a Geforce 3 card and 256 mb, and I love huge missions with hundreds of soldiers and vehicles. Here is my question. I'm running a pretty good system I think but I always have to delete more than half of what I create on the editor because of choppiness/slowdown. I feel that if it is possible to put all of those soldiers on screen that it should be possible to run smoothly also, why have the option to place massive units and the game will not run right. I will be getting a Geforce 4 Ti soon but I have a funny feeling that it's not going to make a difference. Am I right or wrong?? Will I ever be able to make my kind of missions or will I just have to settle for less?? mad.gif

Well this deserves some discussion although I'm not qualified to say for sure. I would think it's not so much a video question as it is all the AI 'thinking' that has to occur. The computer has to calculate each soldiers response to stimuli.

As far as 'allowing' you to put as many things as you like in a mission. The flip side of that question would be, why can't I put as much as I want? If you put a 100 soldiers on the same battlefield you are going to slam the CPU but if you disperse the 100 soldiers all over the island and engage them in smaller battles then things will run much smoother.

I suppose it's a question processing power. Two years from now you may be able to have 100 soldiers on the battlefield. But guess what, two years from now we will want to put 200 soldiers on the battlefeild so you will still have to work within the confines of the proc. power. And don't forget your audience may not have the same power as you.

Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong. biggrin.gif