Sign in to follow this  
John C Flett

Help! missing addons

Just downloaded the Viet Nam 1969 campaign. Also got all the addons listed in the readme but, guess what, it won't work. Why can't these guys compile the addons in one place so we can play their campaigns?

Anyway, there may be others missing but right at the start I got the error for a missing 'DWRGeneral'. I've tracked down a number of DWR addons but the General hasn't been one of them. Anybody know where this guy is hiding?

Found him.

If anybody else should go looking the file required is at OFPINFO under ADDONS/MISCELLANEOUS/ADMIRAL. Not perhaps the most obvious place to look.

Let us know what you think of the campaign.

Frankly, I've stopped downloading anything requiring various individual addons from numerous sources.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Found him.

If anybody else should go looking the file required is at OFPINFO under ADDONS/MISCELLANEOUS/ADMIRAL. Not perhaps the most obvious place to look.<span id='postcolor'>

I think the main clue is in the readme file.  Possibly the bit that says

"Required addons - Admiral.  Available from ofp.gamezone.cz (If you can't find something search for it or look under misc. sections)"

A bit of RTFM might help wink.gif

I'm about 10 missions in and it's pretty cool (and no bugs yet either! )

bighodge

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think the main clue is in the readme file.  Possibly the bit that says

"Required addons - Admiral.  Available from ofp.gamezone.cz (If you can't find something search for it or look under misc. sections)"

<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, spot on. I made a mistake and I missed a file but I was thrown by the section that identified the required files and didn't list him and the fact that the error mesage asked for a General, not an Admiral. I could have found him in 30 seconds if the file had shared its name with the actual unit.

And I know from the gamezone.cz forum that I'm not the only one who was confused by the readme and error and the fact that the Kyllikki Vietnam addon suggests it has all the required files in one place, which of course it doesn't.

I really do feel campaigns like this should take a lesson from the CSLA campaign or PMC Fury Jungle and produce a single .pbo or even compile a .zip so all the addons can be found together rather than requiring users to hunt them down individually.

Either way it now works and I'd agree it seems pretty good.

The designers made a good job of creating a different feel using a limited number of mods. A dedicated Jungle environment would be nice but that doesn't exist for now.

What I really like and a few more campaigns would benefit from is the attempt to break from a linear path. The idea of having more than one route to victory or even being able to lose the campaign adds a lot.