Sign in to follow this  
UUMickey

Looking below the helicopter

I've been wondering how one would look beneath the helicopter to properly position over something. In the game, is this just eye-balling it and experience? I thought that the bottom part of the front of the cockpit was usually clear so pilots could see downwards.

Granted, I am not using a TrackIR but the hat switch, but when I "look down" what I usually see is Larkin's groin. Not terribly helpful.

Mick

Depending on the helicopter type I sometimes resort to external view. And that's with TrackIR.

Seriously, I can not help but wonder how slingloading can be done without any guidance from the ground, and no bubble-windows to lean out.

I guess the simulated radio calls are supposed to guide you but I would much rather lean out an open door to view the load myself with trackir.

If you watch any of the logging shows on cable, one of them uses a heli for getting logs out. It has a huge bubble on the pilot's door; left-side IIRC.

You got me thinking: I can unmount the doors from my light helicopter. Maybe I can lean out via TrackIR with no doors present?

But to be honest: I do not own the medium helicopter presently. Had to stop flying for some days because of real-life business. :)