Sign in to follow this  
Psycho1

Free noise reduction software

I've been trying to find free noise reduction software that works well. When I record sounds over my microphone, the background sound of my computer is picked up and I wanted to eliminate that. I don't want to purchase a fancy $100+ microphone that filters it out so I've been looking for software to do it for me. The one I found didn't work well at all....the background noise was still there. Most of the "free" sound editing apps out there are severely limited in features since they want you to buy the full version.

I think there's several versions of Sound Forge that are free for download. You could try it's Noise gate effect (Cant remember how good it is though).

Unfortunately the older versions of SF can't handle VST or DXI instruments.

Theres a lot of good Gates/Limiters out there if you've got support of any of those two plug-in types.

i have cakewalk which is a guitar recording studio, it has hundreds of plug-ins for that stuff (reverb, echo, voice tweaker, microphone simulator) if you send me the file in a wav file, I can try to break it down 4 ya

I haven't been able to find any version of Sound Forge for free:(

Thanks for the offer Vulcan but I'm planning on working with many sound files, it wouldn't be right for me to constantly rely on you to edit my sound files for me. How much does Cakewalk cost by the way?