Sign in to follow this  
Harrumph

Addition of Python or Lua as a Scripting Language

Concerning the usage of SQF/SQS: It is surely not used only for mission making, but also to improve the engine in general, or to make total conversion mods.

I also did not claim that it is not possible to build libraries with SQS...my point is that it is just c like header files but not strong libraries in sense of OOP/OOD

I understand that many folks wanna keep the sqf/sqs because they are familiar with it...but hey think about that: assume every product/game, which is extensible/moddable would use its own property language and concepts...do you really wanna learn them 'all' and use your spare time for that?

How do you wanna create more and more complex worlds/missions when not the tools and languages support you in doing so and get also considerably upgraded? Don't you think that the complexity of the language/concepts (think about the different concepts like FSM, SQF/SQS, function modules, different config files, hundreds, distinct commands etc.) will reach a state where only a handful, hard core modders can and want handle that? I mean not all the people, who want to to contribute or make sth with it, have simply the time to collect all necessary infos here in the forum, wiki etc. and try it out the hard way.

Domain specific languages like Unreal Script are also a valid approach, but then the prerequisite is that you have the same or even a higher productivity for the domain you using them.

Again, the arma engine is very capable. My claim is just that using a complete redesigned domain specific language or switching to an industry standard full blown language will make this engine even much more awesome in the longterm.

Edited by hawk66de

Using indention doesn't equal enforcing it. For example, if you break long lines in C by indenting them a bit further in the next line, like:

int some_variable = some_rather_long_function_name(
       param1,
       param2);

Python would go nuts because it thinks that param1 is a new block. Using indention for building blocks is a bad idea, and it completely and utterly fails once you start mixing tabs and spaces - and you don't even see it.

(but I suppose this is going off-topic. I apologize)

I'm delighted to tell you that you can actually do that in python.