Sign in to follow this  
Luxurious

Arma II Operation Arrowhead Nvidia Surround questions

Just purchased this game after playing the demo and have a few questions for the Arma II gurus out there.

Current setup so you don't have to go profile fishing:

Q6600 @3.4Ghz

sli 570gtx's 1.3GB memory variant

GA-EP45-UD3P rev1.3 (NOT an SLi board but running the "SLi fix"<--------very unsure of this as updating my video drivers forces me to update the SLi fix and I've had crashes and other issues so I really would like to eliminate it from the equation by getting a new SLi certified motherboard. I realize that Windows 7 doesn't care whether the board is SLi or Crossfire "supposedly" (from what I've read it just looks for a certificate or something) but you never know if there are other issues caused by something like this) and it is a seperate "boot" option so I have no idea what the SLi Fix has actually done.

I'm considering upgrading to a Sandy Bridge 2600k and overclocking it on water and I'm curious for any input from users who:

1) run this game - Arma II or Arma II Operation Arrowhead

2) have or have upgraded from Q6600 or other quad cores to 2600k and have seen a gain or are currently running a 2600k

3) are also running SLi of some variant, dual 4 or 5 series cards, and surround configuration

I realize at 5916x1200 or other high surround resolutions, the video card memory comes in to play a lot particularly with AA though I have that disabled in-game.

My in-game settings are set using the bezel corrected 5916x1200 and are as follows:

Visibility - 3600

Quality pref - Very high

Interface resolution - 5916x1200

3D Resolution - 5916x1200

Texture detail - Very high

Video memory - Very high

AF - High

AA - Disabled

Terrain detail - Very high

Objects detail - Very high

Shadow detail - High

HDR - 8bit Low

Post processing - Disabled

Interface size - Very small

Aspect ratio - Custom

Vertical sync - On

Vertical sync in-game on or off does not seem to affect the frame rate aside from the 60fps cap it imposes.

Tree infested areas with buildings/fences/livestock/troops I'm getting in the low to mid 30's (fine), dips in the 20's occasionally (awful).

Desert areas with buildings/fences/livestock/troops the fps are from 40-60.

The SLi meter... anyone know how to decipher the behavior of this thing? Its usually about half the screen height from the center out and very rarely goes nearly all the way to the top and bottom of the screen like its not doing anything accept occasionally.

Task manager when running the game shows 1 core @80-90% utilization and the other 3 cores @ 70-80% utilization.

Sorry, don't mean to be long winded. I realize Surround resolutions are generally VRAM and video card bottlenecked and this game is suppose to be CPU limited with higher overclocks helping a great deal from what I hear. Is the CPU bottleneck issue only on single montior setups?

What kind of performance are you guys getting with this game and with what setups/clocks/vram.

-----------------

I also have a question about the HUD ingame. You can set triplehead=1 and that brings all the elements in to the center monitor however the left-most side of the HUD is cutoff behind my bezel :(. I see in the .profile you can adjust the topLeftHUD, bottom right, etc... but I've had no luck with with changing these.

Moving the Top left to the right pushes the whole HUD to the right and then cuts off the right side and the subsequent change to the bottom right corner to bring it back in pushes the left side back under the bezel. I've only made very small changes to these numbers like .01 increments trying to mess with it but can't make any ground on the issue.

Any ideas with this?

Also, does anyone know how to add comments in the profile? I'd like to comment the default lines out so I still have them and make changes to a copy.

-----------------------

Another question I've come across is about the TrackClip Pro for the TrackIR. How long is the cord? Can't find anywhere with this information even in reviews. Maybe that's because its long and a non-issue but I'd like to know.

Thanks!

Edited by Luxurious

Sorry, thread moved, mods please delete this.

Moved to where ??? Having the same problem with the UI/HUD being hidden behind compensated bezel.

( 3No. 1920x1080 +120/side pixel compensation to resolution 6000x1080 )

Edited by ZiggyUK

I went from an overclocked 6600 @ 3.2Ghz to an overclocked q9650 @ 3.6Ghz (mobo bottlenecked me) and then onto the i5 2500k overclocked to 4Ghz.

For Arma ive seen little gains in the addition CPU power from the 9650 to the i5.

I did install an SSD, along with a GTx570 from gtx260. On these two components alone is where i saw my biggest gains.

Why do you need the 2600k? AFAIK it offers hyperthreading and they can OC slightly higher than the 2500k. Save some dosh and put it towards the astronomical price of HDDs at the minute.