Sign in to follow this  
Dorian Gray

has this been covered? maintaining sync when playing stereo music from TWO objects

I am brand new to editing and scripting, and I won't deny that I will possibly use the wrong terminology here and there in this thread or that I'm going about this all wrong, but I have been trying to do my "homework" (esp. search the forums first).

Why do I lose sync once I drive/fly/etc. away and return? At first I thought it was an engine limitation but I have seen talk of "crossfaded" music from two game logics. I know there is no shortage of threads discussing how to do this in mono. I believe I began with splitting a song into two different ogg files (left and right channel) and as an initial test used radio alpha to set off a trigger containing:

left_speaker say "wakeLchan"; right_speaker say "wakeRchan"

I even tried using alpha to set off two separate triggers, each containing the above separate say commands.

I also tried calling a simple script in each loudspeakers' init field that would play the song instantly at mission start, but still, apparently once I reach a certain range and return to the loudspeakers, the two files are at least a second apart. That's before a repeat of the song, too.

Worse still, if my game loses focus (playing in a window currently) and I restore it, the song has warped position.

As far as I know, this is not possible, except that you would have to do as you have mentioned, split the left and right channels and play them as two different sounds.