Sign in to follow this  
laukejas

Hold fire doesn't work

Hello,

I've got ARMA, updated to version 1.14. I have noticed that sometimes, especially in covert operations, soldiers on team start firing on enemy soldiers when they are close, even though I tell them to hold fire. The little red sign which is drawn by the pictures of teammates, meaning that they are holding fire, disappears. If I tell them to hold fire again, that sign appears for a second, and then disappears again.

I understand that if AI soldier is spotted and shot at, he will return fire even when told to hold fire. This was normal in Operation Flashpoint. But in ARMA AI initiate contact themselves even when no one is shooting at them, and they don't listen to hold fire command. Sometimes it is impossible to make them retreat from a fight: they rush into it, and no "move", "stand", "disengage", "hold fire" commands make them stop firing and running for nearby cover or retreating at all.

So, why is this happening? How can I make AI hold fire, and not ruin covert operation when there is no threat?

I would appreciate any help.

P.S. I use no modifications, nothing, just patches up to 1.14.

Try putting them into "aware" or "safe" mode first and then tell them to hold fire. Make sure you don't use the danger mode in the context sensitive menu as well, i've heard people say the AI can get stuck on that mode. The context menu danger option also uses a different command internally than the numbered menu, so there is some kind of difference.

Well, usually I use "stealth" mode. this mode also should work like "aware" or "safe", right?

Stealth is like dangermode. as far as I know you can't keep them in stealth and have them hold fire 100% of the time.