Sign in to follow this  
mikebart

world object's roadway removes clutter = problem

Im making some rock ledges for cover/obtsacles and want to be able to place them in the world without removing all clutter in their area, just so that they blend in a bit better with their surroundings.

But it seams that by adding a roadway to the model, all clutter directly below/above the roadway gets removed.

any ideas of a solution for this?

Not really a solution I'm afraid, mikebart - more a "related observation"...

I've been fooling around with the pond object and found a situation where I had a pond object section forming a lake surface and "clipping in" to the side of the terrain as it rose to form a bank... I then had a roadway along that lakeside bank...

Normally - road sections suppress clutter (more or less) - but I noticed in the exact areas where the pond object section clipped into the bankside deeply enough to actually be "underlaying" the road - it was like the clutter was "re-enabled" - there were sharp-edged sections of clutter showing across the road surface corresponding exactly to the pond object planes deeper underground.....

No idea whats going on with that area - currently in the "worry about it later" category... just thought maybe the phenomenon might hint at a possible solution, maybe...

rock ledges you say??? :)

B

thanks for the reply bushlurker, so you're saying the pond object forces clutter to be rendered over the road?, ill have a look into that, maybe create a dummy object to place around the ledges.

yeah, I've just been experimenting with a few ideas regarding rock ledges and possibly cliffs,

Basically im using the mana island terrain textures in a multi material, and then using a sample taken from the sat_lco of roughly the area they've been placed and puting that sample in the _mc (macro texture), then with some further tweaking e.g, specular levels, etc, the results are pretty close to what you get on the terrain. The multimaterial and the terrainx material are very similar in how they work,

As another possible solution to the topic problem, I think that I could use that same sat_lco sample to tint grass/clutter if I were to put it directly onto the models and use a tree shader, much in the same way that the clutter is tinted by the sat_lco.

arma2oa2010100818230040.th.jpg arma2oa2010100818214475.th.jpg

Hi again mikebart...

Yeah - it does seem to be the case... grabbed a couple of pics...

In buldozer...

tiles2.jpg

OK... this is just a "loch test corner" where I've been testing the fastest way to make lochs (lakes) - I need about 40 of the buggers so I'm trying to figure out how best to make them, plus how to effectively barricade the AI...

Anyway - as you can see from the grey outlines deliberately autopainted on the temp sat-layer - there's pond tiles underlying the terrain itself around this loch - several meters underground in relative terms...

Look at the buldozer square cursor - just to the right of that - see that end pond tile corner - it's definitely underlying the road section at that corner...

Here it is in-game...

pondeffect.jpg

the pond tile is definitely causing that, though I've no idea why...

Rock ledges look awesome! (oh no! I sound like Enad ;)) they are tho!

Rock ledges... tussocks... if it wasn't for the elm trees I'd suspect you were making Scotland too! :D

B

Edited by Bushlurker

try adding 'geometry=no' to your geometry LoD in your model (without the equals sign ofcourse).

Cheers, Sy.

Thanks for the reply Synide, but no luck with 'geometry=no' in the geo lod. Cheers for the extra info on the pond object bushlurker, do you guys have any idea of what it is that makes the pond object force clutter to be rendered? i've had a pretty good look at the object, rvmats and its config but nothing really stands out that says 'force clutter', perhaps its an random bug?

Rock ledges... tussocks... if it wasn't for the elm trees I'd suspect you were making Scotland too!

Just going to test out some AI pathing (at the moment the AI wont go near them) and then they should be good to go..

You're welcome to set them up for you're terrain once they're released if you want to use them, ill include an mlod, just swap out a few textures with ones from your terrain and apply a sample from your sat_lco and you're all set :)

Edited by mikebart

OK... this is just a "loch test corner" where I've been testing the fastest way to make lochs (lakes) - I need about 40 of the buggers so I'm trying to figure out how best to make them, plus how to effectively barricade the AI...

You've made - in effect - "rocky shorelines" - and the AI won't go near them!!!???

Can you include a PRE_fix mlod in the release as well please? I may have had a Cunning Idea... :D

B

Edited by Bushlurker

im sure that wont be a problem as im having trouble getting the ai to use the paths :(