Sign in to follow this  
Ree

Recommended terrain detail

Hello,

I'm planning to play through vanilla OFP campaigns, but before I start, I'd like to hear your opinion regarding playing the game with terrain detail higher than medium. I know the performance impact will be noticeable, however, let's assume it's not important. Are there any other problems with that? Does it cause inconveniences for AI or the player? I heard there are some, but nothing specific, hence my question.

Well, apart from the fact that the best way to know this is to test by yourself (because of the wide complexity and diversity of hardware configurations), even on a "modern" computer like mine (i7 920, 4870x2, 6 Go RAM), setting the terrain detail to anything above normal creates lag and GPU overheating problems (and disable AI catalyst).

AI may have problems moving in the slopy terrain and constantly start crawling, if you set the terrain detail to Very High. In some cases they might even get stuck.

I would recommend playing in Low or Normal settings, as those are the default options (Low for multiplayer mode, Normal for singleplayer mode). If you really want some extra visual quality, terrain detail setting High isn't too bad option either, as it isn't as bumpy as the Very High setting.