Sign in to follow this  
orangel

Fixed-wing rudder does not behave properly

So, I started playing Arma 2 when OA came out, after many years of experience with fixed-wing aircraft, both real and simulated. I enjoy the game a lot, but there is a serious problem with the way the rudder is modeled that I think should be pretty easy to fix.

In Arma 2, your aircraft has the greatest amount of rudder control at low speeds -- somewhere between 50 and 150 km/h it seems. As you accelerate past these speeds (ie., as you get into the air), the rudder loses authority until it is basically completely useless past 200km/h. When I go into an external view, I can see the rudder deflecting, but it hardly yaws the plane at all...little enough that you might as well not have a rudder at all!

In a real airplane, the rudder has no effect on the airplane until you reach a certain speed, around the same speed that you'd need to get off the ground. As you accelerate beyond that speed, the rudder has a greater effect on the airplane because of the increased airflow. Higher speed means more rapid yaw for a given rudder deflection.

Basically, the way it works in the game right now is backwards. There should be very little yaw control at low speeds (unless you're simulating a steered nosewheel), and progressively MORE as you speed up. The yaw system as implemented is somewhat accurate for the way a helicopter behaves, but still exaggerated -- and completely wrong for a fixed-wing airplane. Having no yaw control when travelling forwards makes it extremely difficult to fly the planes properly, and next to impossible to set up an accurate strafing run.

I know that Arma 2 isn't supposed to be a flight sim, but making this small change would be a huge improvement in the realism of the flight model, and make aircraft strafing runs a much more usable tactic. Surely all it would take to make this change is altering a few numbers on a curve, right?

Please consider making this change, at least in the beta patches so that users can try it out and see how it works!

[e] I have made a feature request on DH for this functionality -- this thread is to gauge interest. If you're interested in it, please vote for it! Just to have the ability to do proper strafing runs! :p

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/12406

Edited by orangel