Development A couple of weeks back ProGamer contacted me asking for help with formulating a feedback ticket requesting an attachToWithMovement type SQF command for A3. Meaning, allow one object to be attached to a second, moving object, yet simultaneously allow for the attached object to move independently on its own impetus. Or, to put it in a more concrete way, allow a soldier to walk about while riding on the inside or on the outside of a moving vehicle. I responded that the best method for ascertaining what might be needed within such a command would be to create a mock-up or proof-of-concept using the tools currently at our disposal. Working off an excellent idea presented earlier this year by JDog (HERE), I quickly wrote up a script attempting to emulate one possible method for implementing such a feature within the game. The results were much more impressive than either myself or ProGamer had anticipated. Script The most recent version of the attachToWithMovement script can be downloaded HERE. Note, you will also need to D/L the WIP PhysX enabled LCS 2 trimaran addon from HERE in order to play the demo mission. As it stands currently, the script allows a player unit to move about and perform all regular actions - ie., walk, run, crawl, shoot, etc. - while riding a moving vehicle which has a properly defined roadway LOD. Furthermore, both the attached and attachedTo objects are still affected by the PhysX component of the engine. So, the effects of wave action and friction, for instance, are automatically handled by the underlying RV engine. The script has also been successfully tested on a land "vehicle", namely a moving shipping container. Although the initial versions of the script were somewhat glitchy when moving over rough terrain, the latest (yet unreleased) builds offer a pretty smooth ride. With further modifications, this should also work for aircraft interiors - such as the cargo bay of a Osprey - but I haven't directly investigated such an application yet. Although I can already predict some of the issues that an airplane would cause, I believe they should be solvable. No guarantees, however, until a working example has been implmented. Limitations Ok, now for the not-so-awesome news. Driving around in land vehicles while attached to another object is extremely problematic. Without getting too deep into the technical details, the primary issue is wheels (the ones contacting the ground and not the one in the driver hands) animations. While a wheeled vehicle can be scripted to move around, say, a ship deck, the RV engine handles vehicle and infantry simulation quite differently. Whereas using the script, the soldier anims will play without any problems, vehicle suspension and wheels rotations does not sync properly to the perceived actions of the two objects. The second big limitation ATM is AI. In short, AI are unable to move around using normal methods. So, giving them a waypoint elsewhere on the ship deck is useless, for instance. Third, roadway LODs need to be defined within the model p3d, and those are missing from most BIS objects. So, you cannot, for instance, ride around on the back of a HEMTT using just this script. Finally, everything so far has been written with SP in mind and without a thought towards MP useability. And one final final caveat: these are the limitations that I am aware of and spring immediately to mind. Who knows what undiscovered issues and bugbears may lurk. Hopefully no unforseen showstoppers. Future The next step in my plan is to try and enable use of this script with BIS native models. In theory, one should be able to attach an invisible roadway LOD to an object so that the roadway is just above the model surface one wants to ride on. I did some preliminary testing of this concept last week and it seemed promising, although there was some unfortunate and unexpected glitchiness, so it remains to be seen whether this will ultimately prove satisfactory. Next, as already mentioned, I would like to attempt an adaptation of this concept for aircraft. After that an attempt to see if AI can be hacked into the script. Off-hand it should be possible, at least in terms of footmobiles, although it's a major undertaking as I expect all the movement, animations (and pathfinding?) would need to be done "by hand" from within the script. Thank You First off, a thank you to JDog for his extremely informative post. Also, mankyle and Gnat for creating and working on the PhysX enabled LCS 2 ship. A quick mention to zooloo75 for some testing and feedback an early build. And, finally, last but not least, ProGamer who provided both the original impetus as well as continued support for this little project. Without his testing, feedback, questions, advice, promotion, passion and tireless encouragement none of this would have happened. Thanks, buddy! He should also be shortly posting some really nice YT vids he made of the script in action.