Sign in to follow this  
Obmar

Reflective Glass Tutorial

Due to the amount of requests for help from the community and modelers regarding O2 modeling. I am going to start posting some basic and small O2 modeling Mini-Tutorials in this Section from time to time.

The first tutorial:

Virtual Reflective Glass.

I have put together a basic folder to be used with this tutorial. Please download <span style='color:RED'>glass.rar</span> and unpack to your models working folder in Oxygen 2 PE

Folder contains 6 files

glass_ca.paa

glass_ca.tga (targa copy for editing purposes)

reflect_co.paa

reflect_co.tga (targa copy for editing purposes)

reflective_glass.rvmat (material file)

glass-pass2.rvmat (material file)

These files can be used as a basis to apply reflective glass effects to all your models.

STEP 1

glass1.jpg

Open the model you want to apply the reflective glass to in the Oxygen 2 PE editor.

STEP 2

Apply the glass texture to the polygons you want to be glass or transparent, you can use the texture I have made (glass_ca.paa) or any other glass texture you want to use for your model.

<span style='color:red'>HINT:</span>I normally seperate my mesh with the polygons I want to use as glass and give it a name in the "Named Selection" eg -glass. It is easier to work with when I apply the glass texture to the selection.

glass2.jpg

Now the texture is applied and the selection is transparent but does not look like glass yet.

STEP 3

Go to the folder where you unpacked the glass.rar file and open the reflective_glass.rvmat file with the Material Editor or by double clicking on the file. A Material Editor screen will pop up as seen in the image bellow.

glass3.jpg

<span style='color:red'>NOTE:</span>if you opened the file in the Material Editor by double-clicking on it you have to press File/Open and open the file in the editor again otherwise you cannot edit it.

Don't know why it does that but seems to be a glitch with the software. Scroll down to the bottom of the material editor and only change the following entries.

<span style='color:red'>a:</span> is the specular power you want for you glass.

<span style='color:red'>HINT:</span> the lower the value the more reflective the glass becomes, play around with the setting using the slider to suit your requirements.

<span style='color:red'>NOTE:</span> do not change the stage config no 1 as this is the standard FresnelGlass setting used by the ArmA graphics engine.

<span style='color:red'>b:</span> Stage 2 is for a texture that will give your glass a reflective aspect of the environment around you. I have used the standard BIS one as bellow but you could actually make one to suit your environment.

glass3b.jpg

This is also a good way to apply reflection to your models rearview mirrors. Just change the UV texture from the glass one to a non transparent mirror type texture.

Click in the Source Name field and select the reflect_co.paa file from where you placed it in your model's work file.

<span style='color:red'>c:</span> This is the link to a material file (glass-pass2.rvmat) with an alpha pass. You can look at that file but do not change anything as that is a standard setting.

Click Browse and select the glass-pass2.rvmat file from where you placed it in your model's work file.

Save the file and close the material editor.

STEP 4

Open your model in Oxygen 2 PE and select the glass named selection or the selection you want to apply the reflective glass material file to.

glass4.jpg

<span style='color:red'>d:</span> Click on the yellow folder on the right of the material field and select the reflective_glass.rvmat file from where you placed it in your model's work file.

Press Apply and then ok.

STEP 5

View the model with buldozer and there you have it lovely virtual reflective glass.

glass5.jpg

You can play around with the Specular Power settings as in step <span style='color:red'>a:</span> above to get more or less reflection off your glass.

Hope this tutorial helps and gives a little understanding of how the ArmA material files are applied.

I get where your coming form regarding requests, I seem to spend more time these days answering requests in my PM`s than actually doing any work.

The tutorial is great, Im going to bookmark this. I have had reflective glass working before but it seemed a more hit-and-miss trial and error method than something you have laid down in your tute

dankie ouen smile_o.gif

Does the glass also reflect on the inside? I guess this could be applied to the inner polygons of the glass so you have a reflection of the cockpit, but toned down more.

Also, awsome tut man!

You can change the reflection texture to a toned down version of the interior of your model. Then just make a duplicate .rvmat file but with the path to the new texture and call it eg. reflect_inside.rvmat and apply it to you internal glass named selection.

That seems useful, but unfortunately all the links seem to be down... anyone knows where to find the rar archive or rvmat file ?

On a side note : does someone have a tutorial about rvmat editing ?

thanks a lot.

links are fixed now, we just moved hosts so had to update the links

Ah perfect links are back again. Thanks for this tut.