batis4

Cold War Enhanced

Cold War Enhanced 0.91 Beta - by SJ-Studios - Work in progress

For Arma: Cold War Assault v. 1.99 and Operation Flashpoint Resistance v. 1.96

W8MyiMN.png

Information and download links at: cwemod.com

This mod is still unfinished, and you may (read: probably will) encounter errors, missing features or resources while playing.

Key features:

• Perfectly balanced A.I. behavior, the correlation between gameplay and realism noted well of (realistic engaging ranges, intelligent behavior etc.)
  • The best 1985 infantry and armament throughout the years of OFP modding by the community replaced with the original ones
  • Aligned 3D sights for all weapons (except scoped weapons)
  • An external Dynamic Sound Engine (DSE) program to playback weapon sounds at different ranges properly, without performance loss, exceeding OFP engine limitations
  • Perfected positional sound environment to create a unique atmosphere in the warzone (sonic cracks, echoes, death cries etc.)
  • Bullet ballistic & behavior system (depending on events such as wind changes, bullet drop, material penetration, ricochets, bullet caliber, muzzle temperature etc.)
  • Remade effects of different kinds (smoke generation, fire, explosions, blood etc.) to emphasize the mayhem that is war

and manymany more…

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

Cool. Your Binmod had some very nice features already so it's good to see you're continuing it in this new form. Keep up the good work.  :)

Hell yeah, i'm gonna be following this very closely. Installing it now, looking forwards to playing with it!

EDIT: Had a bit of a play, and i'm impressed! Its obviously not finished, as a load of units still use default BIS models and weapons, but I can tell that this could be awesome if it was continuously worked on.

I noticed a few bugs during my really short 30-min play around in the editor: Here's what I found, and I hope it helps you fix anything!

Note: I have some weird changes to my control scheme that I just realized, so that might be something to do with it.

LARGE BUGS

With a launcher out,aiming down sights just makes you slowly and awkwardly shuffle backwards.

XMS produces an error when fired for the first time in each mission. "script \CWE_Data\snd\PLAYER_XMS.sqf not found". The XMS with the red dot scope also doesn't actually activate the 2d sight when used, which it should.

2D scope for the Remington 700 doesn't work.

CZ 584 error on first time firing per mission: "script \CWE_DATA\snd\kozoliceshellmuzzle.sqf"

Mines don't work - Loading the mission editor produces "\CWE_Events\mine.sqs not found" and returns you to editor screen.

MEDIUM BUGS

Sometimes it's impossible to leave the "f" walk. It seems to be random, as I tried and can't reproduce it, but it happened a few times.

Some classes start with grenades as their primary weapon, and some with rifles require you to press space to fire.

Under-slung grenade launchers shoot way right left.

SMALL ANNOYANCES - Yes, i'm massively nitpicking here!

Video Options don't save between sessions - I run a shittastic PC (at least until next week!) and had to turn stuff down, but I had to do it after a few restarts.

RPG7 doesn't sit perfectly in the hands - it sorta floats between them.

Some weapons sound too quiet/pathetic - R700, Skorpion, CZ75.

FN FAL's sights are slightly out.

One suggestion: I love the ambient sounds when firing - the cracks and stuff - but it might be worth working through them and tweaking some of them. Its weird and pretty immersion breaking when the sound of a heavy MG is heard when it's just you and a CZ75.

I'm loving it so far though, even taking the bugs into account, its an amazing achievement that seems to be pushing the engine to its limits.

Thank you gents!

@bennysouthst:

All of your listed bugs/annoyances are noted, and we are aware of these. There are some new things you need to take note of when using Cold War Enhanced.

We are slowly making guides to the wiki how to avoid these problems while playing the mod, and fixing these deficiencies. Luckily, almost all of these are fixable.

I'll be answering to some of these for you in this post, my answers to you are in bold text:

With a launcher out,aiming down sights just makes you slowly and awkwardly shuffle backwards.

Sniper rifles, scoped weapons are all meant to be used with the 2D sights. To shoot properly with snipers, you must first press the right mouse button to apply the right stance, and then press V for the 2D sights.

XMS produces an error when fired for the first time in each mission. "script \CWE_Data\snd\PLAYER_XMS.sqf not found". The XMS with the red dot scope also doesn't actually activate the 2d sight when used, which it should.

XMS is an original OFP weapon and you can't use it in this mod. All of the original OFP weapons are unusable. There are separate CWE weapons that the units use, you must use them. Read http://cwemod.wikidot.com/classes

2D scope for the Remington 700 doesn't work.

This is very imporant for all scoped weapons in CWE. To aim, first press the right mouse button to go into the proper stance. Hold down RMB and then press V. You will now use the 2D sights properly. Make sure you are using CWE weapons instead of originals.

CZ 584 error on first time firing per mission: "script \CWE_DATA\snd\kozoliceshellmuzzle.sqf"

This will be fixed.

Mines don't work - Loading the mission editor produces "\CWE_Events\mine.sqs not found" and returns you to editor screen.

This will be fixed.

Sometimes it's impossible to leave the "f" walk. It seems to be random, as I tried and can't reproduce it, but it happened a few times.

You have accidentally pressed V and left a " invisible" 2D sight on a 3D sight weapon. Press V again to exit the faulty 2D sight and use the 3D sights with RMB.

Some classes start with grenades as their primary weapon, and some with rifles require you to press space to fire.

This will be fixed.

Under-slung grenade launchers shoot way right left.

The problem is in the animations, and fixing this will take a lot of time, but we'll see if it can be fixed at some point (probably). At the moment, you can shoot the under-slung launchers in crouch position, grenades will launch more accurately this way.

Video Options don't save between sessions - I run a shittastic PC (at least until next week!) and had to turn stuff down, but I had to do it after a few restarts.

Some of the video options are overridden in this mod by default. At this point, I don't recommend you to play CWE with a weak computer, but we will see if we can make performance better with slower computers in the future.

RPG7 doesn't sit perfectly in the hands - it sorta floats between them.

This will be fixed (probably), and it happens in other weapons too, in the RPG it's just more noticeable.

Some weapons sound too quiet/pathetic - R700, Skorpion, CZ75.

R700, Skorpion and CZ75 don't have firing sounds yet at all, we will make sounds when we find proper quality sources.

FN FAL's sights are slightly out.

This is a known bug, and we are planning to find a better model for FN FAL, so we can create properly aligned 3D sights for this weapon.

Thank you for replying!

• Like 1

Perfectly balanced A.I. behavior, the correlation between gameplay and realism noted well of (realistic engaging ranges, intelligent behavior etc.)

Is this meant to work in multiplayer too?

Is this meant to work in multiplayer too?

The A.I? Yes.

Good job.

It's always nice to see how you keep pushing the limits of the old OFP/CWA engine.

Apart from all the mentioned already, I would add that it would be welcomed some way to identify and locate the leader of your group. I understand that you want to minimize the UI (for the sake of immersion, to rack difficulty up, or whatever reason), but right now it's hard to tell who and where your leader is when several groups are packed together.

Some screenshots I've taken:

https://imgur.com/a/3m67l

• Like 2

Good job.

It's always nice to see how you keep pushing the limits of the old OFP/CWA engine.

Apart from all the mentioned already, I would add that it would be welcomed some way to identify and locate the leader of your group. I understand that you want to minimize the UI (for the sake of immersion, to rack difficulty up, or whatever reason), but right now it's hard to tell who and where your leader is when several groups are packed together.

Thank you! Nice screenshots.

I've been planning to do a DSAI-based solution to this problem, so that the player can, by pressing some button, ask the leader where he is and he'll shout out an answer.

Is it possible to get an archive that isn't an .exe ? I like to control my own installation.

Yes. Download link for a bare zip archive has been added to the downloads page. Note that you still have to run the mod with the ColdWarEnhanced.exe.

• Like 1

Yes. Download link for a bare zip archive has been added to the downloads page. Note that you still have to run the mod with the ColdWarEnhanced.exe.

Great, thanks :)

I've been testing the mod a bit too and I must say you (or your team) nicely upgraded the Binmod formula with advanced features like fully functioning 3D sights, multiple stances, blind fire, weapon jamming, improved gun sounds and generally improved sound, etc. But here are some suggestions with how, I think, you could yet improve it, in case development will continue:

- currently, the 3D sights on scoped weapons are useless, as are tank sights. I've figured that backup (2D) sights can be activated by pressing V, but I personally think it would be better if it would automatically switch to the 2D sight as that's more intuitive in my view. Ideally, the scopes could be made transparent and zoom out further but I realize that may be problematic to implement.

- I see that you are aiming at a mixture of realism and playability, but I personally think some sort of fatigue system and related weapon sway would be nice. If we look at original OFP/CWA, we can see heavy breathing when we run for a longer (actually quite soon ;p) period and there's also a bit of weapon sway on the guns and while we don't actually slow down, I find switching to jogging from sprint after a while of sprinting would be sensible.

- shooting while running is another feature that is possible in reality but not really safe for anyone involved in such maneuvers. I find that being forced to walk with sights up after shooting while running would be nice to have.

- I noticed that the magazine ammo checking feature was removed. Not a big deal for me at all but maybe some people would like to have that.

- since you used HYK and ICP units for the West and East units, maybe using Edge's retextured guerillas would fit Res units too. Of course this is a purely cosmetic thing and not a requirement by any means.

- I might be an exception to the rule but I really like the swimming feature in FFUR 2007. Maybe adding some form of swimming would be plausible?

Just suggestions.  :)

I've been testing the mod a bit too and I must say you (or your team) nicely upgraded the Binmod formula with advanced features like fully functioning 3D sights, multiple stances, blind fire, weapon jamming, improved gun sounds and generally improved sound, etc. But here are some suggestions with how, I think, you could yet improve it, in case development will continue:

Thank you! Development will probably continue in the future, but I don't think I'll have much time to work on the mod until next summer. That's actually the reason why the mod was released in its current state.

currently, the 3D sights on scoped weapons are useless, as are tank sights. I've figured that backup (2D) sights can be activated by pressing V, but I personally think it would be better if it would automatically switch to the 2D sight as that's more intuitive in my view. Ideally, the scopes could be made transparent and zoom out further but I realize that may be problematic to implement.

Scoped weapons are meant to be used with the 2D sights, but player also has to hold down the right mouse button. Making the 2D sights get activated while holding the RMB is possible to implement, but the end result would be buggy and might not work in every situation. Zooming the scopes further causes problems with the current aiming system.

I see that you are aiming at a mixture of realism and playability, but I personally think some sort of fatigue system and related weapon sway would be nice. If we look at original OFP/CWA, we can see heavy breathing when we run for a longer (actually quite soon ;p) period and there's also a bit of weapon sway on the guns and while we don't actually slow down, I find switching to jogging from sprint after a while of sprinting would be sensible.

The unit does get fatigued from sprinting, but it takes more time to happen than in original OFP. There is also weapon sway in CWE, actually more than in original OFP (but a bit less than in mods like FDF), but it is not as apparent with the 3D sights as it is with the 2D sights.

shooting while running is another feature that is possible in reality but not really safe for anyone involved in such maneuvers. I find that being forced to walk with sights up after shooting while running would be nice to have.

That could be done, but again, the end result would be buggy and unreliable.

I noticed that the magazine ammo checking feature was removed. Not a big deal for me at all but maybe some people would like to have that.

It hasn't been removed. Press caps lock to show/hide the action for checking the ammo and some other actions too. See the documentation on controls here: http://cwemod.wikidot.com/controls

since you used HYK and ICP units for the West and East units, maybe using Edge's retextured guerillas would fit Res units too. Of course this is a purely cosmetic thing and not a requirement by any means.

Resistance units are to be updated to newer, graphically better units at some point.

I might be an exception to the rule but I really like the swimming feature in FFUR 2007. Maybe adding some form of swimming would be plausible?

Maybe at some point, but there are a lot of other things to be done and I haven't got the time.

Just suggestions.  :)

Thanks, suggestions are always welcome.

------------------------- --------------------------------- -------------------------------- --------------------------------------

I cant start it using Cwe.exe,wheel keep on spinning but nothing happens :/

Not even an error report or anything? Strange. What operating system are you using? I haven't yet tested the exe on Windows 8 or 10.

Try going to the folder "CWE\Data\", and see if there is a file called "errorReport.rpt". If there is such a file, please send it to me as a PM.

Not even an error report or anything? Strange. What operating system are you using? I haven't yet tested the exe on Windows 8 or 10.

Try going to the folder "CWE\Data\", and see if there is a file called "errorReport.rpt". If there is such a file, please send it to me as a PM.

My apologies,it appears that it was due to my f***** up registry,so I tried to fix it and f***** it up even more,SO i installed fresh windows and everything works fine!!!!

I just began to test it,if I find any bugs that are not listed above I'll send them to you.

And yes,great job! nice to see that someone out there still is working on this game!

My apologies,it appears that it was due to my f***** up registry,so I tried to fix it and f***** it up even more,SO i installed fresh windows and everything works fine!!!!

Glad to hear that you got it working.

I just began to test it,if I find any bugs that are not listed above I'll send them to you.

And yes,great job! nice to see that someone out there still is working on this game!

Thanks!

What is the reason for only 1.99 version?

That's a good question.

The main reason for using 1.99 is that some of the (too few) new commands are useful for the mod. They are faster (though not significantly) and more convenient to use than their 1.96-compatible alternatives. A 1.96 version of the mod could be, and possibly will be, made (when I'll have the time). Or more likely not a separate version, but one version that works for both.(Would be easier to maintain)

GetWorld can be easily replaced by the similar Fwatch command. GetPosASL and setPosASL can be easily replaced by a simple function. AnimChanged event handler can be (only for player unit) replaced by the Fwatch getPlayerAnim command, but that gets problematic when new animations are added to the main config, or when an addon modifies the CfgMovesMC class. Perhaps I could use the ColdWarEnhanced.exe to map the animation names to their current numbers.

This mod looks like the one we missed in years with all those buggy FFURs, unfinished ECPs and other mischaps. I will definitely try it when I reinstall 1.96 again. Yes, 1.96 because I totally ignore CWA-nonsense. OFP should remain OFP and its mods should be compatible with 1.96.

A few questions and suggestions from me:

1) Are the major campaigns and default SP missions optimized for this mod? I mean CWC, Resistance, Red Hammer and Peacemaker?

2) I've looked through the thread and noticed you removed some original OFP features. There should be a version of the mod with all vanilla features remaining. (like magazine ammo checking).

3) Is there a config with vanilla soldiers and vehicles? There should be one. The more versatility you have the better. 

The best 1985 infantry and armament throughout the years of OFP modding by the community replaced with the original ones

Hope this will be optimized polygon-wise. Very high-poly models (which look the best) cause lag even on decent machines due to limitations of the engine. That's the general problem with those "max hd remastered 10k poly" remakes of old games. 

Also keep in mind that OFP fans / people who come to play this game these days own low/mid-range computers / laptops. 

4) 3D scopes look really ugly and unrealistic. Look at this: https://my.mixtape.moe/frxwqv.webm  :lol: The shoulder stock is tiny and looks like a toy. My guees would be making high quality 2D versions of original scopesLike the ones we had in FFUR but with better textures.

5) Please add a flashpoint.cfg file to come with this mod. Some people always forget how to setup advanced video options for OFP, for example LODs to fix trees popping up, texture heaps and other small things. 

6) Please add more videos  :)
  • Like 1

This mod looks like the one we missed in years with all those buggy FFURs, unfinished ECPs and other mischaps. I will definitely try it when I reinstall 1.96 again. Yes, 1.96 because I totally ignore CWA-nonsense. OFP should remain OFP and its mods should be compatible with 1.96.

A few questions and suggestions from me:

1) Are the major campaigns and default SP missions optimized for this mod? I mean CWC, Resistance, Red Hammer and Peacemaker?

2) I've looked through the thread and noticed you removed some original OFP features. There should be a version of the mod with all vanilla features remaining. (like magazine ammo checking).

3) Is there a config with vanilla soldiers and vehicles? There should be one. The more versatility you have the better. 

Hope this will be optimized polygon-wise. Very high-poly models (which look the best) cause lag even on decent machines due to limitations of the engine. That's the general problem with those "max hd remastered 10k poly" remakes of old games. 

Also keep in mind that OFP fans / people who come to play this game these days own low/mid-range computers / laptops. 

4) 3D scopes look really ugly and unrealistic. Look at this: https://my.mixtape.moe/frxwqv.webm   :lol: The shoulder stock is tiny and looks like a toy. My guees would be making high quality 2D versions of original scopesLike the ones we had in FFUR but with better textures.

5) Please add a flashpoint.cfg file to come with this mod. Some people always forget how to setup advanced video options for OFP, for example LODs to fix trees popping up, texture heaps and other small things. 

6) Please add more videos   :)

Thanks for your post. Mod doesn't work with 1.96 right now. 

1) Not at the moment. Three original OFP missions in this version are converted though.  

2) Yeah. Magazine ammunition checking is still in through the caps lock menu, and you can check how many magazines you have in the Gear section in map.

3) There isn't a config like this. Vehicles are still vanilla though, except BRDM-2.

Infantry and armament are optimized good, better than in for ex. Binmod. Performance is one of the things we've taken note off. Still, you got to sacrifice performance through some of the new features implemented.

4) In our opinion 3D sights are much better and a nice major feature we've added. Detailed 2D scopes have a problem with the lighting, too light, washed out white textures shine brightly in the dark. The original "black-cardboard-like" sights are better than detailed 2Ds IMO. We had those (detailed 2Ds) in our previous mod, Binmod and honestly, they weren't good at all.

5) There isn't much to configurate. If certain people don't remember to change these settings then that's their problem. This mod automatically modifies the UserInfo.cfg to adapt the correct aspect ratio for modern widescreens and such, but doesn't touch the advanced graphical configurations.

6) I'll add a video soon to the second post.

3D scopes look really ugly and unrealistic

It's possible to be honest without being obnoxious. :)

OFP should remain OFP and its mods should be compatible with 1.96.

You "expect" modders to provide tailor made content for people using different versions?

If there is a majority using 1.96 do you have access to statistics to show this?

I have it myself. But I don't use it any more.

• Like 2

I like it how he called ECP and FFUR series "mischaps".  :P

You know what they say, if you want better, make it yourself. Atleast in OFP/CWA this rule still applies. ;p

And let's be realistic here and say that OFP/CWA is only friendly to old systems when you're playing the SP and MP missions that come with it. But when you play custom, community made content, it's not unusual to require a relatively modern system to run it decently. A fast single-threaded CPU and fast RAM is very recomendable.

Mishaps they are, chap  :)

In our opinion 3D sights are much better and a nice major feature we've added. 

Well, the sights really are but the weapon model and hands are not   :)

Thanks batis4 for your replies. Will be looking forward to videos.