Sign in to follow this  
Delta Hawk

new identity types for faces and glasses?

I'm beginning to port over my US Military Mod to ArmA3. I'm trying to be realistic as possible so quite a few of the heads are out of military regs because of facial hair. I would also like to get rid of the sci fi looking glasses and goggles and replace them with realistic BCGs (Birth Control Glasses, google them).

Is there a reference somewhere that shows how to do that? Thanks!

The reason why I ask is because I don't want to spend hours trying to research how to do it when I could be putting that time to something else.

I do not think it is possible as it is hardcoded into ARMA as to which faces are randomly used. As far as I am aware such a file is hidden behind one of the many .pbo's BI have made. It could be possible via scripts the same way Virtual Arsenal does with 'SetIdentity' and maybe just creating a list with the classnames that can be used like how BI does the random gear selecting for the FIA.

It's fantastic how you want to go into that level of detail but wouldn't that also mean players set characters could possibly not be used as that would kind of suck a little if my characters awesome beard was unusable :(

As for the goggles that can simply be done when scripting the unit loadouts (as to my knowledge) in a way where it just detects the classname, e.g. "birthcontrolgoggles" and then just replaces with your ones.

No wait scratch that I misread. Again for the glasses I think it is the same thing as faces which again is most likely solvable by a script but obviously the more and more scripts initialize it could have potential to cause issues or conflictions, etc. I am just using my experience of unit scripting so I am not the most solid resource.

Edited by Vulcanexius
Second answer

AFAIK It's a matter of how the identitytypes[] arrays are set up in class cfgGlasses and your unit class itself.

If you don't include the BIS glasses identity classes in your unit's identitytypes[] array (e.g. G_NATO_default, G_Rangemaster, G_NATO_pilot etc.) they wont show up on those units. You can force no glasses by including the noglasses class in the unit's identitytypes array too

e.g. having identityTypes[] = {"LanguageENG_F","Head_NATO","NoGlasses"}; means all your units will speak English, have NATO heads (White, Black and Asian) and will be forced to have no glasses.

When you create your cfgGlasses class, you can set probabilities for the glasses appearing in certain cfgidentities groups and create your own glasses groups with a custom entry in the array. e.g.

class CfgGlasses
{
class DG_BCG1: None
{
	author = "Delta Hawk";
	displayname = "Birth Control Glasses 1";
	model = "PATH";
	picture = "PATH";
	identityTypes[] = {"NoGlasses",0,"G_NATO_default",0,"G_NATO_casual",0,"G_NATO_pilot",0,"G_NATO_recon",0,"G_NATO_SF",0,"G_NATO_sniper",0,"G_NATO_diver",0,"G_IRAN_default",0,"G_IRAN_diver",0,"G_GUERIL_default",0,"G_HAF_default",0,"G_CIVIL_female",0,"G_CIVIL_male",10,"DH_G_BCGs",25};
	mass = 2;
};

class DG_BCG2: None
{
	author = "Delta Hawk";
	displayname = "Birth Control Glasses 2";
	model = "PATH";
	picture = "PATH";
	identityTypes[] = {"NoGlasses",0,"G_NATO_default",0,"G_NATO_casual",0,"G_NATO_pilot",0,"G_NATO_recon",0,"G_NATO_SF",0,"G_NATO_sniper",0,"G_NATO_diver",0,"G_IRAN_default",0,"G_IRAN_diver",0,"G_GUERIL_default",0,"G_HAF_default",0,"G_CIVIL_female",0,"G_CIVIL_male",10,"DH_G_BCGs",25};
	mass = 2;
};
};

In all the identitytypes that have a 0 next to them, there is 0 probability of the glasses showing up on any unit class that uses that string in its identityTypes[] array to define its glasses selection. Having "G_CIVIL_male",10 means BIS units (and others) with the civilian glasses group in identityTypes[] have some probability of wearing your custom glasses. You'll see I also included a new custom string "DH_G_BCGs",25 that means you can define that custom identityType string for your units and they will wear your BCGs e.g changing the previous noglasses example for the unit to:

identityTypes[] = {"LanguageENG_F","Head_NATO","DH_G_BCGs"};

Your units will speak English, have NATO heads and wear your glasses from time to time.

I'm not exactly sure how the numbers after the identitytypes in cfgGlasses correspond to probability of them being worn - it's something I guess you'd need to experiment with.

Edited by da12thMonkey

I've noticed that ACE has actually got a new voice setting which automatically is applied to all units on the map when a mission is initialized similarly to when the identities are set for units. All of ACE's files are open source so I'm sure they wouldnt mind giving some help too?

Nothing would prevent a player from customizing his character. In fact, with the amount of additional equipment and uniforms, players will find unique ways of customizing their characters. In fact, I'm thinking about making the gloves, gas mask bags, gasmasks and other little additional stuff the "glasses" so player can further customize their equipment. Already I'm looking at adding over 50 - 75 new vests, helmets, uniforms and caps. Plus all the little pieces of gear common to US soldiers, like socks, canteens, weapons cleaning kits .etc. Hopefully I can bribe someone into making my weapons.

Delta Hawk, you make me tingly inside. I know that Toadie2k just got done making some amazing M249s & Minimi's and all the source material is out there. I'm confident he can help you out and he is also updating his AR15 pack too. Really looking forward to this!

Toadie was exactly who I was thinking of asking. I carried the saw while in the marines and shooting his saw in game gave me the same grin on my face when I shot the real thing. A little bit more dust and the simulation of clp, gun powder and dust in the eyes and lungs and it'll be spot on!

---------- Post added at 13:53 ---------- Previous post was at 13:52 ----------

It would also be awesome to add barrel changes and run away guns.

Glad to see you're back! This might behoove me to get back into ArmA 3. I haven't really played it as much as I did ArmA 2. It just isn't the same without some 1990s guys: PASGT vests, PASGT helmets, 40mm grenade vests, canteens, DCUs and M81 cammies. Oh, yeah. :)

Edited by Laqueesha

Delta Hawk's porting his USM mod to ArmA III?!

This calls for a celebration

Yes it is! Though I couldn't help but notice those were the wrong SAWs for Desert Storm lol

The porting is already pretty interesting. I have a lot of work to do with sorting out helmets, vests, uniforms, equipment .etc.

Yes it is! Though I couldn't help but notice those were the wrong SAWs for Desert Storm lol

The porting is already pretty interesting. I have a lot of work to do with sorting out helmets, vests, uniforms, equipment .etc.

Not to mention an M16A2 on full auto.

If you can, you should try and get a basic version of the USM mod (the stuff you already made for ArmA II ported over) out early to get feedback and then build on it with the small stuff like gas masks, canteens, socks as ACE3 improves. Maybe add more eras such as the early 80s (when M1 helmets were still in use) early-mid 2000s (transition from BDU to MCCUU/ACU). Or even make generic BDUs in experimental camo patterns/solid colors such as black/navy blue or green to stand in as law enforcement.

https://www.vetfriends.com/militarypics/images/large/1803597-na-EKBLAD--79043.jpg (106 kB)

6.27fe0101iraq06.jpg?itok=Za07esNy

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4f/USMC_and_HNP_SWAT.JPEG (988 kB)

Edited by extracrispi

Not to mention an M16A2 on full auto.

If you can, you should try and get a basic version of the USM mod (the stuff you already made for ArmA II ported over) out early to get feedback and then build on it with the small stuff like gas masks, canteens, socks as ACE3 improves. Maybe add more eras such as the early 80s (when M1 helmets were still in use) early-mid 2000s (transition from BDU to MCCUU/ACU). Or even make generic BDUs in experimental camo patterns/solid colors such as black/navy blue or green to stand in as law enforcement.

I wish I could say it was that easy, but in reality, it's just the opposite. Just making characters is a huge undertaking and I still want to work on vehicles too. Right now I'm going to focus on just the 90s and the gear associated with the 90s. My original addon had all the extra stuff, so I'm still going to include that stuff with the first release. I want my characters to have an accurate soldier load out, so it's imperative I include all this little equipment in order to be able to better judge the carrying capacity of the equipment.

I also need weapons. I can't do a release without weapons and already there appears to be a huge complication.

I do plan on releasing the more common different BDU types, like woodland, DCU, desert, green, black, urban and tiger stripe if I can find a good pattern for that.

I do plan on releasing the more common different BDU types, like woodland, DCU, desert, green, black, urban and tiger stripe if I can find a good pattern for that.

Cool! What about IBAs?