klamacz

Firing from Vehicles feedback

Hi there, please use this place to discuss the "Firing from vehicles" feature, available on dev-branch since today (rev. 127272)

Added: Firing from Vehicles for HEMTT, Zamak, Tempest, Offroad, Hellcat, Humming Bird and Assault Boats

OPREP with details: http://dev.arma3.com/post/oprep-firing-from-vehicles

Edited by klamacz

These are the vehicles that I've so far found spots that you can fire from:

- Littlebirds (All benches)

- Offroad (People in the rear area)

- Faction trucks (2 people closest to the rear of the truck)

- Rubber boats (All cargo)

- Hellcat (2 slots on the benches)

Hi there, please use this place to discuss the "Firing from vehicles" feature, available on dev-branch since today.

I would like to see shooting from reasonable vehicles with openable doors, such as the Hellcat's and maybe even the Orca if that could be pulled off. (Can't remember if the Orca has openable doors)

What would be cool is to have the option to "turn out" in the MRAP hatches ( in the ones that have them ) and be able to shoot from there while turn out.

Basically what you can do already in APCs, IFVs and tanks; but obviously with your own weapon. That would be really cool for those of us who dislike the clonic turrets.

Edited by MistyRonin

What would be cool is to have the option to "turn out" in the MRAP hatches ( in the ones that have them ) and be able to shoot from there while turn out.

Basically what you can do already in APCs, IFVs and tanks; but obviously with your own weapon. That would be really cool for those of us who dislike the clonic turrets.

More or less "roll down the window" and do it like that as well.

To anybody who could already try it: Does the movemnt of the vehicle shake the shooter around and messes up his aim? Otherwise I'm afraid shooting from vehicles might be a little too easy. The person would basically be an extra turret.

Only problem I immediately see is the extremely hard-limited area you can pan around in. Some positions in vehicles also are awkward, with the shooter sitting with feet hovering off the ground, sunk in a bench, torso twisted badly, etc...

Isn't it possible to do some inverse kinematics to automatically raise the soldier when aiming down over a ledge (Offroad, for example.) or make him twist his hips when panning to the extreme of left and right?

To anybody who could already try it: Does the movemnt of the vehicle shake the shooter around and messes up his aim? Otherwise I'm afraid shooting from vehicles might be a little too easy. The person would basically be an extra turret.

Sadly, there seems to be only a very small vertical sway.

It is counteracted by the vehicle becoming a serious 'bullet magnet', so I don't think it's in danger of being too 'easy' in that respect! ;)

Edited by Electricleash
spelling fail

hopefully it's liked, atm. too busy with MP ...

I feel like the shooting angle is too limited in some vehicles (Hellcat for instance).

I hope one of the features coming mentioned in the OP-REP are being able to switch seats in a vehicle at will. It wasn't too critical before but I think it is now.

Yep, except for the limited shooting angle it is a very unique and awesome feature! Good work so far!

Dunno, seems alright atm:

Amazing news!

One issue I noticed so far: when looking in optics and using the splendid camera, the weapon seems to disappear. Need to be checked in MP (is the weapon disappearing too for other players?).

Great so far, hats off.

• Really need the assignment of specific seats when in charge of AI i.e. "2 Get In MH-9 Hummingbird - Cargo Left Bench Front" otherwise the AI tend prioritize the internal non-fire positions.

• Hoping for the Passenger side of the Offroad to get FFV activation at some point, particularly with the door-less version.

• Some of the positions in the Offroads trailer could be better kneeling instead of cross-legged, might make the warping a little less obvious.

What I really miss is an option to lay down on the back of the offroad (kinda like the turn in-turn out option). I know the side panels don't offer much protection but it would be very useful to hide and prepare ambushes.

TrackIR is broken with Firing from vehicles in all cases. A temporary condition I hope?

yeah, i hope its only temporary. but in the ghosthawk shooting with the minigun, trackir is also disabled.

i hope BIS is enabling trackir in every possibility. its hard to play without it ;)

When i set a hummingbird and a player, there are 4 results that shows the "fire from vehicle" has so big limit that need polishing alot.

1. the hummingbird and the player are the same team, and the pilot is the leader: you can ONLY choose seat in the back or right bench front.

2. the hummingbird and the player are the same team, and the pilot is the leader, and player's special is in cargo: you can only seat in the back.

3. the hummingbird and the player are the same team, and the player is the leader, you can choose either seat when you are on the ground.

4. you can only select seat when on the ground, once you are seating in the cargo, you cant select anymore even there is only one player in the cargo.

too limited!

In addition: if the pilot is AI, then AI still cant provide good firing position for players at the bench.

Edited by msy

Amazing news!

One issue I noticed so far: when looking in optics and using the splendid camera, the weapon seems to disappear. Need to be checked in MP (is the weapon disappearing too for other players?).

This happens for all scopes that use modeloptics (2D optic images) when you use splendid camera or the stop-motion camera in Arsenal - it's not observable to other players in MP and is unrelated to FFV.

Haven't tested it, can't wait to get home and try it out.

Things I would suggest:

-When firing from heli's allow utilization of the stance adjust to shoot straight down, could even make adjustable for using in trucks?

-We are going to need the ability to choose which seat we sit in. Maybe add a vbs-like interface for that?

Questions:

How does Arma 3 Handle Players and vehicles? I know units are considered vehicles, but it seems kind of inefficient, care to explain why that was decided?