flyinpenguin

Improved Fatigue System

Description:

Improved Fatigue System uses the existing Arma 3 fatigue system and improves it to simulate a soldier becoming tired and falling over.

Version 1.0

Features:

• Player starts hearing their heartbeat as they get fatigued
  • Player starts blinking as they get extremely fatigued
  • Player falls down into prone position after severe fatigue
  • Player's peripheral vision becomes blurred while fatigued
  • Player's recoil values affected by fatigue level

ChangeLog:

v1.0 - Added - IFS Module

Added - Complete customization over when the mod activates

Changed - Heartbeat and RadBlur activation timing

Changed - variable heartbeat

Fixed - blink now happens with NVG's

Added - Documentation over IFS variables for mission/mod makers

Added - Server keys

v0.8 - Changed - Mod now supports new fatigue

Changed - Player is now able to sprint longer

Changed - Blink values have been adjusted

v0.7 - Added - three presets for fatigue amount

Changed - blink values

Fixed - player now does correct animations for pistols, binoculars, and without weapon

Added - variable base recoil value

Changed - nerfed radial blur amount

v0.6.1 - Hotfix - map loading times

v0.6 - Added - recoil changes

Added - radial blur

Added - modular support for blur, recoil, and heartbeat

Removed - Water System Alpha

v0.5.1 - Hotfix - incorrect userconfig has been fixed

v0.5 - Added - Optional Alpha of Fatigue Water System!

Fixed - rare
No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgSounds/FS_heartbeat.titles
error

v0.4 - Added - heartbeat effect

Changed - Falling down animation

Changed - Timings of blinks

Fixed - CBA is no longer needed! (apparently it was before)

v0.3 - Changed - The entire way the mod is handled (increased performance by 1000%)

Changed - blinking is more gradual and slowed down slightly

Fixed - swimming handling. You still get fatigued and need to rest afterwards but you will no longer drown

Fixed - theoretical possibility of getting stuck in an animation (aka, its no longer possible if you tried)

v0.2 - Increased cool-down amount for player that gets up immediately

Fixed issue of being stuck in prone animation after getting up with extremely heavy gear.

v0.1 - First Release

Blinking and Falling over implemented

Known Issues:

None at the moment. Will update if they appear.

This is the readme included within the mod. Please read for descriptions and mission/mod maker documentation!

Thank you for chosing the Improved Fatigue System!  This is the documentation over what the mod is, and a few in depth items for other mod makers and mission makers.

Features:
This mod is designed to make combat movement more realistic by needing to take fatigue into account when conducting maneuvers.  This is done by making players fall over when they are extremely fatigued.  Your player will start blinking before they fall over.  This mod has changed the default Arma 3 fatigue behavior. Instead of slowing down as you get fatigued, this only happens when very fatigued.  This is done so that players can still be at the same speed when moving in formations.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Options:
There are three options that are included within the mod.  These are Radial Blur, Heartbeat, and Recoil.

Radial Blur - This will activate when your player starts to slow down and will not be able to keep up with formations.  It will blur the outer regions of your screen slightly.  It is not designed to obstruct your vision.

Heartbeat - This is an audio cue that activates at the same time as radial blur.  When you get even more fatigued, the sound will speed up.

Recoil - The recoil option can overwrite the existing default value for recoil.  When you get more fatigued, it will increase this value automatically to simulate losing strength while fatigued.  This is compatible with most weapon resting mods.  However, the changes by the weapon resting will be overwritten when fatigued.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mission makers / mod makers:

Module- There is now a module withing the fatigue system.  It is listed under its own category 'Improved Fatigue System'.  When you use this, it will always overwrite the Fatigue Level value.  However, you can set it to let the other options to remain user defined by setting them to their off states.

Variables:
The Improved Fatigue System uses missionNamespace variables.  This means that you can interact with these variables at any time during a mission.

Flyin_FS_level - This variable defines the amount fatigue it takes to activate the mod.  If you wish to make players more easily fatigued later in the mission, you would change this value.  Note that you may have to watch the next variable, Flyin_FS_pool when you change this as that variable references this one.

Flyin_FS_pool - This variable is the stack counter.  If you wish to suddenly make someone fatigued, this is your go to variable.  This variable should be referenced with Flyin_FS_level.  Flyin_FS_pool should never be more than about 14 above Flyin_FS_level.  If you wish to fatigue a player without triggering effects, raise it just under the Flyin_FS_level.

Flyin_FS_radBlur_toggle - This variable turns the radBlur option on and off anytime during a mission.

Flyin_FS_heartBeat_toggle - This variable turns the heartbeat option on and off anytime during a mission.

Flyin_FS_recoil_toggle - This variable can turn the recoil option on and off as well as the defaulting recoil value.  It can only be changed to values of 0.7 - 1.2.  Also change it to value 0 to turn the option off.

Downloads:

Google Drive - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6b2GOkx9cBCSlZQOHZIaFczbGM/edit?usp=sharing

Dropbox - https://www.dropbox.com/s/i7e9ro37hz103av/ImprovedFatigueSystemv1.0.7z?dl=0

IFSv0.5 Water System Alpha - https://www.dropbox.com/s/cote67lnq561nh1/IFS_alpha.7z

Special Thanks!

Lordheart for config help

N_Icomach for help when arma'ed

72nd Airborne for testing

Karneck for amazing support and testing

Everyone who helped out on the Bohemia Interactive forums

news_download_a3_3.png

Improved Fatigue System v1.0

This is outdated at the moment. Will remove this warning when it is updated.

@improvedfatiguesystem.png

Edited by flyinpenguin
  • Like 1

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Edited by Guest

New mod v0.1 available at withSIX. Download now by clicking:

@improvedfatiguesystem.png

@ flyinpenguin;

Soon you will be able to manage the promo pages of your content on our web platform and publish new content yourself.

To do so, please hit 'this is me' button on the page while logged in and you will get connected to your work.

For now you can send new content or releases our way through withsix.wetransfer.com or add your notification at getsatisfaction.withsix.com.

The player goes in a fast loop of trying to get up and blinking back to prone if he stands up right after falling over. You can't control the character when it happens. That's because any movement in heavy gear will increase the fatigue level so the mod will put the player back down and the getting up animation starts again automatically.

Greenfist, thanks for letting me know. I will revise the mod as soon as I can.

---------- Post added at 16:53 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

Mod has been updated.

v0.2 - Increased cool-down amount for player that gets up immediately

Fixed issue of being stuck in prone animation after getting up with extremely heavy gear.

Download links are updated.

Suggest having longer more solid black fade ins as you get closer to passing out. At the moment I think there is to much solid black strobe, transition effect is to sharp.

Do different stances effect recovery rate? Are there any plans to add items to help with recovery or simulate hydration? Great addon, please keep it up.

Cheers

Suggest having longer more solid black fade ins as you get closer to passing out. At the moment I think there is to much solid black strobe, transition effect is to sharp.

Do different stances effect recovery rate? Are there any plans to add items to help with recovery or simulate hydration? Great addon, please keep it up.

Cheers

I agree, the black 'strobe' will be changed to a more gradual transition.

The system uses Arma 3's default recovery system which I believe takes into account what stance you are in. Once I have done more thorough testing I can add it if it doesn't exist.

It is a great idea to add in a system for water (I think food would be a bit much :P). I will not even be able to think about it until later down the road. I am way to busy at the moment :(

Thanks for your suggestions and comments Cargh!

-----------------------------------------------

I have compiled a small list of bugs I have encountered. I will update the main post as well.

Known Issues:

-Swimming In water is currently handled incorrectly. If you get to the point where you 'fall over', you will get stuck in an animation and drown (if you don't have scuba gear)

-It is still possible to get stuck in an animation cycle when trying to stand up after falling. This is usually only possible with extremely heavy gear. Try to stay prone after you fall to avoid this. Only way to fix once stuck is exiting the server or mission. If debug menu is available, type

FS_pool = 0;

and this will fix it.

-After extended use, blink aftereffect handling becomes bugged and can render the player completely blind. Only way to fix is exiting the server or mission. Still working on finding out why this happens.

Do different stances effect recovery rate?

Cheers

You recover a little faster when crouched as compared to standing, and more than twice as fast when prone.

I agree, the black 'strobe' will be changed to a more gradual transition.

It is a great idea to add in a system for water (I think food would be a bit much :P). I will not even be able to think about it until later down the road. I am way to busy at the moment :(

I personal think food would be a waste of time to implement, its not really required for the length of time most operations last for. Water requirements better fit most mission lengths, as hydration is a major priority and is needed to stay battle ready. Maybe do something like use weather parameters to define a temperature value, and based upon physical activity over X period of time, create a fluid loss rate. Would then mean in highly active operations would need to be replacing fluid faster, to maintain the characters full performance potential.

Looking forward to see how this develops.

I personal think food would be a waste of time to implement, its not really required for the length of time most operations last for. Water requirements better fit most mission lengths, as hydration is a major priority and is needed to stay battle ready. Maybe do something like use weather parameters to define a temperature value, and based upon physical activity over X period of time, create a fluid loss rate. Would then mean in highly active operations would need to be replacing fluid faster, to maintain the characters full performance potential.

Looking forward to see how this develops.

I have been bouncing ideas around with people and I have a lot of negative towards to water system. I still like it, but at the same time I see why people may not like it. It pretty much becomes an inventory management annoyance. I will probably start messing around with it but have a userconfig file that you need to change to turn it on. Seems like the best option. Probably will start off as just a scroll wheel option to lets say 'drink from camelback' or something and do a small animation rather than an actual item in your inventory. Let me know what you think.

Also, thank you Greenfist. Saved me time researching it or testing it!

Mod has been updated to v0.3!

ChangeLog:

v0.3 -

-Changed - The entire way the mod is handled (increased performance by 1000%)

-Changed - blinking is more gradual and slowed down slightly

-Fixed - swimming handling. You still get fatigued and need to rest afterwards but you will no longer drown

-Fixed - theoretical possibility of getting stuck in an animation (aka, its no longer possible if you tried)

Download links have been updated.

Thanks for sending us the newest version :cool:

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

==================================================

You are not registered on Armaholic, or at least not that we are aware of. In the future we offer the possibility to authors to maintain their own pages.

If you wish to be able to do this as well please register on Armaholic and let me know about it.

This is not mandatory at all! Only if you wish to control your own content you are welcome to join, otherwise we will continue to follow your work like we have always done ;)

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Very nice effect, do you plan to make black out for flight?

oh snap, thats a great idea! I will probably start looking into ways this can be done. Next update should be a water system and possibly adding a heartbeat effect.

@Karneck, thanks!

is possible a bit blur effect if you are exhausted and a minus blinking effect???. Great job, man.

is possible a bit blur effect if you are exhausted and a minus blinking effect???. Great job, man.

Thanks! Yes, I have been mulling over the idea of a blur effect. I need some more testing and fine tuning before I add it though. Also, what do you mean by a minus blinking effect?

i think more graduate blinking effect, if you are prone one blinking while stand up, in the video blinking 15 times in 200 meters. :p

i think more graduate blinking effect, if you are prone one blinking while stand up, in the video blinking 15 times in 200 meters. :p

Yup, I will be changing the timing of the blinks. I was more concerned last update, with getting the new implementation that makes it impossible to get stuck in an animation. Next update will contain changed blink timings and possibly amount that suits the new implementation better. Will most likely make it blink slower again after you have at least fallen once.

Is the fatigue based on movement and gear, or movement and gear + combat stress?

Is the fatigue based on movement and gear, or movement and gear + combat stress?

It is based on movement and gear. So you get tired faster with heavier gear and faster movement. I added nothing for combat stress and will not. Unless Arma 3 fatigue system has a built in one that I am not aware of, it should not matter how many times you get shot at.

Yup, I will be changing the timing of the blinks. I was more concerned last update, with getting the new implementation that makes it impossible to get stuck in an animation. Next update will contain changed blink timings and possibly amount that suits the new implementation better. Will most likely make it blink slower again after you have at least fallen once.

Thanks for you reply, i´m waiting for your changes. :rolleyes: