Sniperwolf572

Fluid Door/Hatch Opening

OLpfDTp.png

Oh snap it's proof of concept time again with guerrilla scripts and slightly evil code! This time it's the fluid door opening thing that was inspired by what we recently saw in

You can find the source code on GitHub. Code reviews are always welcome.

What is it?

This addon enables you to hold a key, then roll your mouse wheel to incrementally open doors and hatches.

What key do I hold?

By default, the hold key is TAB, but you can change it to anything you fancy through CBA's keybind menu. Just hit ESC then go Configure > Controls > Configure Addons. Here, select "TEN Fluid Door Opening" from the "ADDONS" dropdown menu and change the "Fluid Door Opening (Hold + Mouse Wheel)" to anything that you find comfortable. Please do try to avoid key conflicts.

My action menu and crosshair disappear while I hold the "Fluid Door Opening" button!

This is intended. It prevents the mouse wheel from scrolling the action menu while you are opening doors. Sadly the crosshair is bundled in the same subset of the command that the action menu is.

The doors are no longer animate silky smooth!

As BI added door animation sounds, there is no longer a way to play animations without sound, unless you do it with the instant param. I chose to go with no sounds, but rougher animation so you can be at least slightly sneaky.

I'm on Dev branch, the doors open, but I can't pass through them!?

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah. Ticket for your voting pleasure here. If this ends up on stable, we'll have to go back to squeaking doors.

Dependencies?

@CBA_A3 - Keybind handling, until BI comes up with a better solution

SHOW ME!

Changelog:

Version 1.1.0:

• Full rewrite because I can
  • Hold keybind now customizable through the CBA keybinding interface
  • Now respects door status (No more opening script-locked doors)
  • Fixed: In some cases, doors would take a few seconds to be detected if the object was not "revealed" to the player right away

Version 1.0.1:

• Improved glass door detection by switching to "GEOM" LOD intersection instead of "FIRE"
  • Switched to using the current camera vector instead of relying on the combination of eyeDirection/weaponDirection

Version 1.0.0:

• Initial release

Download (version 1.1.0):

news_download_a3_3.png

Dropbox

Steam Workshop

Edited by Sniperwolf572
Version 1.0.1 - Armaholic Mirror

Ooh, very nice :)

Looking forward to trying this one!

EDIT: This is totally awesome. Reminds me of Rainbow 6 (the good one).

Edited by Das Attorney

Ahh "the good rainbow six" ...takes me back;-)

Works like a charm - thanks for this mate

Very cool. Question though; Can AI see you through a cracked or half-open door?

Thanks guys, glad you're liking it. :)

I watched Dslyecxi's video on action menus and the solution struck me for some reason for the door bit in the end, I'd love to know what he did for the video and how close were we to the same solution.

Very cool. Question though; Can AI see you through a cracked or half-open door?

Yes they can, but it depends on how closely they are watching the door and how far you open it, just the default behaviour of AI combined with the view geometry. They'll fire through the door if you close it when they spot you.

This is cool :cool:

Should be a vanilla feature, IMO. Thank you for this simple, awesome mod!

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Nice stuff, always use it when was not sure in R6:Raven shield (still got slotted a lot mind you!) , look forward to giving it a go here many thanks.

Nice stuff, always use it when was not sure in R6:Raven shield (still got slotted a lot mind you!) , look forward to giving it a go here many thanks.

Oh how I loved the feeling of scrolling open a door then instantly getting shot in the face on that game!

Looking forward to trying this mod out, nice work!

that's awesome ! even if you don't have the option on the action menu for open the door it works !

Very cool feature!

It's a shame these kind of features is not in vanilla version.

Just like fastrope and shooting from the side of the MH-6/MH-9.

Hopefully, there is the community, but I DO think BIS should provide these directly in the game.

Rainbow six and americas army! 5-10 years old games had that! This should be implemented in the original game not as a mod! This mod makes a lot of difference in multiplayer pvp!

Good mod thanks!!!

Looks nice, but this even harder than default method.

We need hotkey for doors and maybe some kind of crosshairs drag and drop.(Also too much misclicks because of ctrl+W;S)

How to use it? You can't put your hand inside and throw granade or firing. Just more time for your enemy to kill you.

Are you kidding me! Another amazing addon (and 2 for 2 on ones that really should be in vanilla) :)

Should be, of course. But not in raw form. To implement something new in gameplay. Without complicating the key management in AA3.

Looks nice, but this even harder than default method.

We need hotkey for doors and maybe some kind of crosshairs drag and drop.(Also too much misclicks because of ctrl+W;S)

How to use it? You can't put your hand inside and throw granade or firing. Just more time for your enemy to kill you.

It's not supposed to replace the default method, it's just supposed to allow you to incrementally open the doors which you cannot do by default in the game. If you want to open the door fully, then yes, getting close and using the action is much easier.

I'm aware of the issue with not being able to move while holding the stance adjust, but unfortunately the default keybind for stance adjust also covers the only key that prevents the action menu from opening when you scroll the mouse wheel, which is CTRL.

Further extending the implementation wouldn't be too easy as doors in Arma have a really basic implementation and you can't really do much better unless you modify the models themselves so you can detect more information about the state of the door. For example, I'd love to make it so that mouse wheel down would pull the door towards you and up away from you when possible and depending on which side of the door you're on, but I've still yet to find something that can be referenced to decide which way the door opens, what side of the door the unit is on and such.

I'm having thoughts on actually just hardcoding the CTRL + MouseWheel combo for some performance benefits and so that the movement can still be had for those who don't use CTRL for stance adjust, but that just brings in the potential that CTRL might be used for something else for those who don't have stance adjust bound to that.

If they ever fix this issue regarding the mouse buttons/wheels, then something else can be used for this in combination with the mouse wheel without having to worry about opening the action menu.

Thanks for the mirror Foxhound. :)

@Everyone else

Glad you're enjoying the addon, I agree that this should be a vanilla feature and not a guerrilla addon. :)

Excellent addon, all it needs are creaky door sounds, and I like how you can open just a smidge and take out guys discreetly.

Really smart work, not something I would personally use but i love the concept. Never ceases to amaze me what can be done with a script.

On a side note, I don't understand all the fuss about opening and closing doors. I mean yes the action menu is definitely shockingly out of date and buggy, but the 'Use' button approach seems to work fine enough for most purposes.

Really smart work, not something I would personally use but i love the concept. Never ceases to amaze me what can be done with a script.

On a side note, I don't understand all the fuss about opening and closing doors. I mean yes the action menu is definitely shockingly out of date and buggy, but the 'Use' button approach seems to work fine enough for most purposes.

Thanks. :)

Well, doors in Arma don't play much of a role really as the interior CQB isn't something that you find yourself in often. This because of the following:

• Buildings in Arma are either small houses with interiors or huge buildings which either don't have complex interiors or are not enterable at all
  • AI isn't really any good for interior combat and mostly you'll just plant them inside and have them be static if you actually design any interior combat
  • For players, movement inside structures up until Arma 3 hasn't really been that good, it's getting better, but this can be improved greatly with stuff like automatic weapon adjusting when you're close to a wall (think raise/lower the weapon when you're close to a wall so you can get even closer)
  • Doors are bound to action menu which can be insanely slow process if you have interfering actions
  • There is no locking of doors, all doors can be opened or closed at will if they have that capability
  • You can't barricade the doors as they're only animations which are not affected by geometry, but instead, they affect geometry (you can be pushed away by someone opening the door)
  • If there is any explosive ordnance in the mission to be used against buildings, it's almost always better just to level the building rather than risk entering it and being ambushed

Now if the infantry simulation would enhance the usability of buildings where things above could be addressed, doors would become a much more important factor. Observe titles like SWAT series, Rainbow 6 and such where door play a major role. They're the most high risk thing to get through and places where you can get killed easily by being ambushed. They're not solid so if you make your presence known, they can be fired through by the enemy and kill you with your pants down. They limit the flow of force by being a choke point as one person is only able to get through them at a time and you can be ambushed by an undefined number of people behind the doors, think the tactic of the Spartans from 300. This can be countered with stuff like flashbangs and hand grenades, but flashbangs are kinda useless in Arma when you can just kill everyone with hand grenades. By the time a flashbang has gone off and you've executed your little maneover to enter the room, the job would already be done, unless of course there are friendly targets that can't be harmed.

Now, this addon only addressed the one thing out of many, which is adding a non-binary choice when you're opening a door. For example, if you're one taking cover in a building, you can slightly open the door to fire out of it while still having majority of you concealed. Firing from a fully open door versus firing from a slightly open door at someone a fair distance away, the door might not even appear to be open so you might not be as easy to notice. You can toss a grenade in, etc. It's not much for the current state of the building gameplay, but hey, it's a tiny step away from the status quo.

Version 1.0.1 now available from the first post.

This release improves the detection of glass doors and has slightly better detection where the player is looking that is based on the current camera vector instead of the circumstantial use of eyeDirection/weaponDirection from before.