Sign in to follow this  
Archamedes

Anyone played in 3d?

As the title says, I was just messing around with my visual settings, when i found myself in the nvidia tools page. i was distracted by the stereoscope 3d tab, and after messing around with it i happened to have my red and blue 3d specs handy. It gave me the choice of using infa red glasses, usb charged glasses or yes the old skool glasses. After setting up the settings, I found i could play any game in full 3d. Cod mw2 was freaking awesome in 3d and arma 2 was too. Its weird i have had this setting on my pc for a while now and only just found it by accident

What monitor do you have? i think on the nvidia website it says you have to have a 3D supported monitor with 120Hz refresh rate

mines 60hz and i got perfect 3D with the blue and red glasses

What monitor do you have? i think on the nvidia website it says you have to have a 3D supported monitor with 120Hz refresh rate

120hz is recommended for shutter glasses. As one eye gets blinded while the picture for the other is displayed, this will half the FPS for each eye. So with 120hz Monitor, each eye gets 60hz of it. Lower refreshrates can cause headache and are therefor not recommended (although they should technically work).

The setting that OP mentoins is anaglyphic 3D. This system doesn't need shutter glasses and is therefor not "limited" to 120hz screens.

Omg 3D :butbut: in Arma2

Who has the detailed instruction on how to use it? :rolleyes: (in Russian will be great) if not! English, Google translator will help :) I have a 3-D glasses and a normal monitor ( Samsung SyncMaster 2233sn ) and graphics card Nvidia and ArmaII :D

@Keshman

if you have anaglyphic glasses (red/green) then check your graphic driver settings. According to Archamedes you might find a respective setting there. Maybe Archamedes can tell where exactly he found it (i have Ati card so i can't say).

On the NVIDIA website, it's told that in the control center there's a section for 3D settings. Although I got the driver befor this new one, I did not find such subject unfortunately :( Instead I tried the IZ3D driver which works fine for me (apart from very recognizable lower frame rates!).

Okey) i start ( Enable 3D Vision Discover) and finished the test 3d + special glasses (red/green or blue) now I just run the game and everything? Nvidia panel control I do not touch?

Archamedes stop play ArmaII + 3D :D and help for people :D

First I tried the method in this thread (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=99076) and got nowhere (now I realize I had wrong type of 3d glasses probably).

New magazine this month had the blue/green glasses so I tried those with the methods in this post. It worked. I guess the other 3D glasses I had (got when I saw the new Clash of the Titans) aren't blue/green.

Anyways, maybe check out that other thread if you want more options. Since I have Nvidia I'll use the simplest one for me.

As for the games I've tried, they all worked, some better than others. Dragon Age was pretty impressive in 3D, but a few games were obviously not meant for 3D. Arma was fine, just needed some tweaking I suppose.

But until I look more into this 3D stuff and figure out what is needed, it was a nice tease. More appropriate hardware/software would be required to use it full time in my opinion.

Sure you don't mean red/cyan instead of blue/green? I'm asking because it'd be very unusual to provide other colour shemes than red/cyan nowadays, since for years it became clear this variation works best overall ;)

I play it sometimes in 3D.

Via my samsung tv (inbuild 2d->3d converter).

When flying a heli or a jet its kinda awesome !

:war:

Is there any software out there which works with the 'new' 3d which cinemas currently use?

I kept my avatar 3d glasses but am finding no use for them :p

Also shouldn't this thread be in ARMA 2 general?

Sure you don't mean red/cyan instead of blue/green? I'm asking because it'd be very unusual to provide other colour shemes than red/cyan nowadays, since for years it became clear this variation works best overall ;)

Yeah you're right, that's what they are. :)

I can imagine it makes you go dizzy unless you've got the expensive stuff

I can imagine it makes you go dizzy unless you've got the expensive stuff

There are settings you adjust to reduce the distance between the red and blue, reduce depth etc, so you can use it comfortably.

TrackIR, anaglyph glasses and flying around in an attack heli cannot be compared to anything you have ever witnessed before.

It must be amazing for those with proper 3D setups (shutter glasses or polarised monitors etc) so you don't get colour wash out like you do with the anaglyph glasses.

This is more a general discussion than OM :)

Saw this thread and thought I'd chime in. I have a 22' Zalman interlaced 3D display that works with a pair of polarised lens glasses. This system can be used either with the Nvidia 3d drivers or with the drivers from a company called iz3D (http://www.iz3d.com/driver).

I've never been that impressed with my 3D system but recently I upgraded my GPU to a 480 GTX and using the latest iz3d drivers I've been playing OA in 3D and it looks absolutely brilliant - must admit it took me a couple of hours to get the settings just right and you do need to spend some time training your brain to get used to the effect.

There's something a little unreal about the 3D effect (like looking at an image on a 3D View Finder) but the depth perception you get when you're looking around in vehicles or looking down a row of buildings really has to be seen to believed. Ammo pouches and back packs etc pop out of the screen as do gun barrels - just about everything takes on a new life.

I only wish I could post an image so that people can get some idea of how 3D changes things and adds to the immersion.

This is what it looks like without the glasses on.

arma2OA_2.jpg

You can clearly see the two offset images and the further away from the player the more offset the 2 images become. Looks a bit like after a hard night on the turps.

Most exciting thread I've read in a while! Can't wait to get back and try this.

Duno about OA but 3d in ARMA2 had a few quite serious problems that stopped me going further than the anaglyph test.

1) Cross hairs. I don't use em as infantry but they always come up when flying and they do not work in 3d.

2) Smoke is not 3d so looks awful.

3) Shadows are not 3d and look awful.

Would be good to know if it works better in OA (if anyone can reply before I can test myself)

Of course don't forget that 3d will render the scene 2 times so you will need an even more powerful gcard to make it smooth.

Edited by EDcase

I used to play Operation Flashpoint back in the day in 3d as the CRT monitor could support 120Hz (60Hz per eye) albeit at 1280x1024. As posted earlier anything less than 60Hz per eye was not pleasant/playable.

With the move to much higher resolution LCD the trade off was the loss of 3d. It's only now all these years later that LCD technology has improved to the point where you can potentially have both.

It's nothing new but it is fun and immersive. If you can afford it...

P

Duno about OA but 3d in ARMA2 had a few quite serious problems that stopped me going further than the anaglyph test.

1) Cross hairs. I don't use em as infantry but they always come up when flying and they do not work in 3d.

2) Smoke is not 3d so looks awful.

3) Shadows are not 3d and look awful.

Would be good to know if it works better in OA (if anyone can reply before I can test myself)

Of course don't forget that 3d will render the scene 2 times so you will need an even more powerful gcard to make it smooth.

This is whats stopping me from using my glasses. If arma2/oa would be fully 3d compatible I would sell my family for a good 3d gadget if I needed. I used 3D in morrowind and OFP and it was a very nice experience when you got used to it.