Sign in to follow this  
Orpheus66

Thinking about buying, have questions. Please Read

I have a lot of questions before i get this and i hope this is the right place to ask.

1) Has anyone had any problems with Steam? For instance is it more complicated installing addons and maps?

2) What are the MP servers like? Is it player vs player or are most player vs AI? Is there a favorite addon i should get before i try MP? Any advice for MP play?

3) Is there a lot of NA players and servers?

4) Is there a tournament i could join?

5) With the expansion coming will i need to buy this game? I was under the impression it was a stand alone expansion.

6) How many people are cheering for Canada in the Hockey gold match?? :)

That's all that i can think of atm.

1. Playing on steam is pretty much the same, files just go to a directory under steam, I play steam and you should know you have to install the latest patch without steam. Its almost exactly the same no problems.

2.There are a mixed bunch, be sure to join a clan, its not the same without doing so. And get ACE MOD, find it at armaholic

3. There's not many public servers used, only around 10, on weekends they usually have lots of players though.

4.Just join a clan, its pretty much the only way to fully enjoy, idk about any tournaments at the moment though.

5.Operation arrowhead is a standalone game.

6. ME!!! :)

Arrowhead is a stand alone game but what we think we know at this time suggests that it will also be able to use ArmA2 content if that game is installed. This means the true ArmA fans (i.e. the ones who're active on this board now and who run servers) will probably have both and I predict many/most servers will require players to have both also.

I have a lot of questions before i get this and i hope this is the right place to ask.

1) Has anyone had any problems with Steam? For instance is it more complicated installing addons and maps?

2) What are the MP servers like? Is it player vs player or are most player vs AI? Is there a favorite addon i should get before i try MP? Any advice for MP play?

5) With the expansion coming will i need to buy this game? I was under the impression it was a stand alone expansion.

6) How many people are cheering for Canada in the Hockey gold match?? :)

That's all that i can think of atm.

4) yes there are, like "Theatre of War" or "Charlie Foxtrot" (all player vs player). But there are more.

5) as far as we know it's a stand alone expansion. but why don't just get arma 2 too, it's not that expensive, about 15 bucks.

1.) Steam is very easy to update

2.) MP servers are what you make of them. There are some that are hardcore mil-sim style, and others that are more run and gun. You just need to find one thats right for you. I personally play on Tactical Gamer servers as it offers a nice balance of the two. (sorry for the shameless plug)

3.) Yes, you just need to look around. You might be suprised at what you find :D

4.) Alot of communities and clans enter tournements, so your best bet is to start there.

if anyone knows where i can get the game for $15 PLEASE tell me.

4) yes there are, like "Theatre of War" or "Charlie Foxtrot" (all player vs player). But there are more.

5) as far as we know it's a stand alone expansion. but why don't just get arma 2 too, it's not that expensive, about 15 bucks.

How is this game only 15 dollars now???

This game is easily worth 100 dollars, what the hell is happening?

I payed 60 dollars for it retail back at the start of august.

This kind of game doesnt compare at all with other games, in terms of replayability and longevity of the product itself.

BIS arnt making any profit if you're buying for that cheap!!! :mad::mad::mad:

if anyone knows where i can get the game for $15 PLEASE tell me.

I was looking to get it as a gift for someones birthday just a few mins ago, and I ran into my old favourite place. Not 15$ but close enough.

As for Steam, since 1.05, ArmA2 is/can be completely detached from Steam, and I guess you need to turn off autoupdating on Steam for the game, if you get it there, just to avoid the hassle. I'm not sure if the patch ever got pushed trough Steam.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

I was looking to get it as a gift for someones birthday just a few mins ago, and I ran into my old favourite place. Not 15$ but close enough.

As for Steam, since 1.05, ArmA2 is/can be completely detached from Steam, and I guess you need to turn off autoupdating on Steam for the game, if you get it there, just to avoid the hassle. I'm not sure if the patch ever got pushed trough Steam.

lol, that is not 15 dollars and i had no idea you can detach the game from Steam.

lol, that is not 15 dollars and i had no idea you can detach the game from Steam.

it's like 20 bucks and you have to ship it from England.

just download it on steam. patch it, forget about steam then.

I backed all my stuff off to DualLayer DVD and my registry keys so I just copy it all back if I have to reinstall.

not that big a deal.

1) What are the MP servers like?

2) Is it player vs player or are most player vs AI?

3) Is there a favorite addon i should get before i try MP?

4) Any advice for MP play?

1) It can be a mixed experience on public servers but it's also about what you put into it, often players are scattered around the map more or less playing solo but sometimes your are lucky to find some players who are willing to play as a team and then it starts to get fun :)

2) Most games are players vs AI which works great in ArmA 2 as the AI can be very challenging and do cool stuff.

3) Most public servers are running ACE so thats almost a must, also get a sound mod theres a few nice ones around ;)

4) don't get shot :p

I'm not sure if the patch ever got pushed trough Steam.

Nope, it never happened. Kinda dissapointed me. Once you D'load the game from Steam, you can update through 1.04, after that you will have to disable the auto-update feature in Steam. Then apply the 1.05 patch.

It looks like Steam and BIS are parting ways to me...don't really know if thats good or bad.