Sign in to follow this  
p75

Loading old vanilla Arma maps in Arma 2 with CAA1 - Just Wow - Performance & Beauty

Has any noticed the amazing performance (settings on all very high, view distance 5000 meters) when loading some old vanilla Arma map as Sharani into Arma 2 using CAA1?

It is just simply amazing, constant >60 fps and everything looks gorgeous, like Arma 1 should have looked. It really makes me feel that Cheranus is soo unoptimized, it is not an engine issue for sure.

Just thought I would share the love, it simply looks amazing, and the helicopters on Sharani do feel like helicopters, not like slow moving flying tanks as in Arma 2.

For now I prefer to play on Sharani than Cheranus, the map is overall more colorful (lighter) and feels alot better. If you want to have a peek at what Arma 2 will be when optimized by BIS, load Sharani using CAA1, you'll be amazed!

Grtz

Edited by p75

sounds like something to try out.

I cant seem to figure out how exactly.

Put the sara.pbo in some arma 2 map?

I must sound like a dumbass.

Can you plz point me in the right direction?

thnx in advance... sven

can someone please explain to me (in simple noob terms) how to import arma maps into arma 2 ? please keep it as simple as possible !!!

Here is the install guide.

In case of troubles or questions, please head to the CAA1 forum!

Enjoy :bounce3:

As Kju said, it takes abit of a download (2GB), but hell it is soo worth it!!!

cheers for the quick response, looks way over my head tbh... im not the most computer savvy person about.

cheers for the quick response, looks way over my head tbh... im not the most computer savvy person about.

Hi mate,

It is quite simple, here is an even simpler method as opposed what is mentioned on the website for those who are not soo computer literate:

1. Make one folder in your Arma 2 directory with the following path:

Arma 2\@CAA1\Addons

2. Download all files stated on the website into this folder (there are 50 in total)

3. Install winrar to unzip all files

4. Ctrl A to select all files and right click and hit extract files

5. Add the following to your Arma 2 shortcut, by right clicking the shortcut -> properties and in the target box add: -mod=@CAA1 (behind "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" )

That is it!

Trust me it is well worth it!

Edited by p75

Can someone post screenshots?

Trust me, your jaw will hit the ground as how good it looks and smooth it runs :)

A helicopter fly by would be better, and all on very high, that gives a great impression!

Here is a fly by:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk_V80kIAa4

Due note that with recording software the guys use to get it on youtube their fps will be low. But trust me, running at 1440*900 everything maxed out and get >60fps at a viewdistance of 5000 meters!

Edited by p75

I just edited the previous post with a helicopter video, it's on a different island though.

I just edited the previous post with a helicopter video, it's on a different island though.

Port ain't that special, still looks great :-), added a fly by on Sharani, problem with these vids is that Fraps almost cuts your fps in half. Running fantastic here. It feels like Arma 2 should be straight out of the box.

Why would ARMA2 run so great on the old island?

When you run the old island, does it still use the ARMA2 AI, pathfinding, microAI features?

Yapa

Yes. AI behavior is even working better there due to the reduced complexity.

Less objects, less extreme detail for textures and objects, less terrain detail => More FPS.

^ yes you get all the benefits of the new engine but on the old terrain, which looks better now thanks to things like the new Post processing effects and enhanced shaders on water etc.

Ahhh I see... so there is no miracle way that ARMA2 map could one day run like this :)

The performance is pretty average in ARMA2, but Id rather play at 25 fps than on an empty non atmospheric map :)

Quite interesting though!

Yapa

Ahhh I see... so there is no miracle way that ARMA2 map could one day run like this :)

The performance is pretty average in ARMA2, but Id rather play at 25 fps than on an empty non atmospheric map :)

Quite interesting though!

Yapa

Lol, it is better than the Vanilla Arma 2 maps. Alot better! Sharani is not empty, mate!

Edited by p75

I can't wait to try this out once I get my boxed copy of the game. I have a digital version, but had to kill my system and I don't want to take the time to download it again.

And yes Sahrani is very populated with buildings, etc.... It used to crunch my system back in the day :p

Now I wish the OFP island could look this good once ported to the new engine..... Just a dream

Hosting this online, it looks wonderful but no one can seem to join EVO BLUE they are all missing file deleted files.

Is there any way to DL those files for CAA1 like all at once? For some reason it will only let me DL each file separately and I really don't feel like clicking for each one of them...

;1389826']Is there any way to DL those files for CAA1 like all at once? For some reason it will only let me DL each file separately and I really don't feel like clicking for each one of them...

Hi mate,

Yes, the site has some server you can log onto and grab them all in 1 go. See the website.

Grtz

Hi,

I just downloaded the files and installed them...WOW! This is beautiful.

I didn't have Arma so I never saw the worlds. Reminds me of what we see of Iraq or similar countries. Great work guys!

Beside a few bugs, this is a fantastic environment for firefights.

Thank you very much

Cheers

Would it be legal if someone made an addon of OFP and Arma I islands? I suppose not; but if it's okay.. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? Me want everon.. and nogova.. me is nostalgic.