Sign in to follow this  
spirit6

JIP & AI Disabled

Hey guys,

I am busy with a mission generator and in that mission i want 2 things:

• NO AI (SO AI DISABLED?)
  • JIP ALLOWED

So i want people to join our ongoing mission but i dont want the ai to be around. When i set the ai disabled stuff all JIP is lost. I have seen this feature on different missions but cant seem to find it.

As a result i have a spectating script that kicks in the moment somebody dies so there might be some respawn tweaking if that helps in the solution. Dead=Dead.

Who can help me out here?

Try searching the biki for "description.ext" I believe they've had all necessary information there.

Try searching the biki for "description.ext" I believe they've had all necessary information there.

Cheerst for your response.

I am fully aware of the description.ext and i will for sure check again.

We can set disabledAI = true -> NO JIP and NO AI;

Then we can set respawn to 0-5(group, base blah blah);

The respawn is not the problem. They simple wont respawn because the spectating script kicks in after death. Good. So what i did read is there might be a solution in that one. But i am simple amazed that you cant simple say: AI -> OFF, JIP-> ON. But anyway, since i cant do that, what can i?

The problem is, i dont want AI to come to our coop gaming and i want them disabled. Now how do JIP join? They become a nice bird. Nice but i dont want that.

Maybe something with setplayable stuff or what ever but

- I have seen this in other missions so it is possible

- I refuse to believe this is rocket science

- I searched all forums, even the old ones and it doestn give what i want. So it must be so simple that nobody ever talked about it. (funny to see somebody at the old forums asked same question but never got an answer).

So i am stuck a little.

Edited by spirit6

Hmm, you can still turn of unwanted AI players in the lobby.

However... enable AI and initially put your players somewhere else, where they're out of the way. Now give them an initcommand that checks "isPlayer" and if that returns true, setPos them to where you want them to spawn.

Something like that should work I guess. :rolleyes:

Hmm, you can still turn of unwanted AI players in the lobby.

However... enable AI and initially put your players somewhere else, where they're out of the way. Now give them an initcommand that checks "isPlayer" and if that returns true, setPos them to where you want them to spawn.

Something like that should work I guess. :rolleyes:

That does indeed work but our full gaming hierarchy is used. That means 132 playable slots from HQ to grunt, from CAS lead to Logistics.

Now i dont want to park them all somewhere and loadup the server with 132 ai when goof around squad size with 10-15 ppl. I also dont want to seem them in my group menu when i am the fireteamleader for example.

Its amazin that something trule simple as JIP without active ai is not there yet. The start location of the JIP is known as that is the location of the placed unit in the editor. Quite weird.

Sorry for the bump but is there nobody that can tell me?

It's a major bug of ArmA 2 that JIP doesn't work properly. :(

Just wait for a patch. Don't waste your time with "dirty" script workarounds.

JIP is working fine as of patch v1.02. You'll need to enable respawn though for JIP, if you want JIP players not to start as a seagull.

JIP is working fine as of patch v1.02. You'll need to enable respawn though for JIP, if you want JIP players not to start as a seagull.

Will you tell me that this behaviour is not a bug?:rolleyes:

When I want to make a mission without respawn, why the hell should I enable respawn to enable JIP?

Sure, I could set the respawn timer to a very high value e.g. 6000 seconds. But this is just a workaround.

Ehm...but wait....:D

Sorry, you are wrong:p

Even with respawn enabled, there are often JIP issues. Believe me, they are there;)

You can use workarounds and pray that it works all the time in all cases. But it is still a bug and not a feature:cool:

Please post at the A2 CIT and vote it.

never mind...

Delete Post function would be nice @Moderators

Edited by Duke49th

So basicly there is no real way to simple put the ai of and let ppl jip beside making rocket science out of it?

First off all, i am truely sorry for bringing this subject again more to the top.

As said, i am making a mission generator (MP) and basicly its all done including zones, spawns, wp handling, dynamic object composition. All there.

I cant how ever find absolutely no way to simple disable the AI and still make people able to JIP.

Since the simple part is not there can somebody PLEASE point me to mission/script/help where ever to just simple make this possible?

I'm sorry but I don't see how this could possibly work. JIP works by allowing a player to take control of an AI unit already in the game. You cannot JIP into a non-existant unit (how's the game supposed to know how to create a new unit, and it would be very difficult even for mission designers to tell it).

In other words, you can't create a new player out of thin air. All players must take control of existing units. Disabling AI removes these potentially playable units, making it impossible for a player to join and take these control of these units.

If you absolutely need to do this, a potential workaround I can see is to leave AI enabled (this is a must if you want JIP enabled), but setPos the AI units to a remote location and disable them with disableAI or something, and then check when a player joins and setPos the unit back into play. This shouldn't be too difficult to implement if you have some basic knowledge of scripting and eventhandlers (onPlayerConnected, onPlayerDisconnected, isPlayer are useful commands).

There is no need to have AI enabled for JIP, but you will have to have some form of respawn, e.g. respawn=3 (base). That way JIP is enabled (you willl start at the respawn marker), but you will need to use the scripting solution to start the spectator script after you die. You will also need to make sure by scripting that you don't get the spectator script when you join in progress.

So for description.ext:

respawn=3;

respawndelay=5;

disabledAI = 1;

That will disable AI and provide JIP.

The scripting part would require some sort of waitUntil {not alive player} and then start the spectator script.

There is no need to have AI enabled for JIP, but you will have to have some form of respawn, e.g. respawn=3 (base). That way JIP is enabled (you willl start at the respawn marker), but you will need to use the scripting solution to start the spectator script after you die. You will also need to make sure by scripting that you don't get the spectator script when you join in progress.

So for description.ext:

respawn=3;

respawndelay=5;

disabledAI = 1;

That will disable AI and provide JIP.

The scripting part would require some sort of waitUntil {not alive player} and then start the spectator script.

Cheers for the respons i go try that out. I already figured something like that (but not exact) but i hoped to prevent doing stuff like that as i think its quite an overcomplex thing for a JIP with no AI, but hey i gues i have to live with that:)

@Big Dawg.

What you tell me is that it is not possible because you see technical limitations. JIP and no AI means the JIP will join a unit that has not been used by AI while its already made clear that there is a unit available. That we need to make rocket science out of that by above tricks is a huge failure in funcitonality in my opinion.

There is no need to have AI enabled for JIP, but you will have to have some form of respawn, e.g. respawn=3 (base). That way JIP is enabled (you willl start at the respawn marker)...

I wasn't aware of this, but then again I haven't actually tried it.

Still, it doesn't seem right from a mission makers standpoint to just spawn a new player unit when somebody joins. IMO, disabling AI should effectively disable JIP, otherwise there's no solid way to disable JIP per mission. I could have sworn this is how it worked in ArmA.

I see many problems arising from a new player unit just being created in the middle of a mission.

@spirit6, I don't see it as a failure in functionality. Such an implementation better suits ArmA's mission structure. The way I see it, disabling JIP with disabling AI gives us (mission makers) to ability to effectively disable JIP in a mission, but still allows for a feasable scripted solution to enabling JIP but getting rid of the AI (as I described in my previous post), whereas by allowing JIP with AI disabled would make it more difficult for mission makers to disable JIP as well as create potential problems for the mission maker who has to account for newly created players who JIP'd.

@Big

Well i am thinking mainly on mission generators. We never use static missions at 6thense. As we are implementing our whole structure from HQ to grunt there will be 132 available player slots and we dont play AI.

So from that perspective i think it is mission funcitonality as mission makers are in control of what is in their init file.

If i place disable ai= yes, enable jip= true then that gives me what i want and you just switch it to what you want. So basicly its in my opinion a very huge functional missing in Arma.