Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

ArmA2 1.03 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

So seeing as there's hopefully going to be lots of new people with their new impressions, we need a new impressions thread.

User's guide is impressing 70-page book ;)

No Chernorus map promised at preorder ;(

Current Set up:

AMD3 720, ATi 4890 1GB, 4gb 6400 Ram.

Woohoo been playing for the past hour or so and quite impressed with the sheer scale of it all.I have my settings at Normal/High for most things, taken off head bob in options as it does get a bit sore in the eyes.

There is alot of graphical bugs on show, and some bizzare AI activities. watched one jump in and out of a truck for about 5minutes.

Other than that im happy enough as im sure these will get sorted in time. Gonna go in and have another blast and get used to the controls, just need the rest of my clan to get their copy for the real fun to begin.

My Gameplay delivery came through the door today and I am reading the manual now whilst installing. I have been lurking on the forums for some time now, reading everyones impressions, and have been captivated by the youtube videos people have posted.

This was an excellent way to pass the time whilst waiting for what looks to be a great game, so thank you guys.

I used to love Operation Flashpoint but sadly skipped ARMA due to my PC not being so great. Anyway, I'm at the final hurdle of installation so I hope to give impressions very soon. :cool:

Vista32, DC2D 3.1 @ 3.8GHz, 4GB RAM, GTX-280, 1680x1050.

Disappointed. No anti-aliasing. Besides the jaggies which I cannot tolerate, graphics are worse that in Arma1, at a framerate that is half of Arma1's (which is around 60 with everything on full with the latter). Everything is much fuzzier. Even at 200% of the fill rate optimizer or whatever it is called, I don't understand why soldiers and equipment must be fuzzy at 30m. It's completely sharp on Arma1, that I was still playing yesterday. I understand fuzziness with full AA but without it it doesn't make sense, it makes the game look like a quick console port of which we've seen too many.

Controls feel console-port-ish too. A mouselook to the left or right responds after about a second, stops after you have, and the motion blur does not help. Forget about split-second reflexes.

Still the same horrible save system, one slot, and to add insult to injury it gets overwritten when exiting by Alt-F4. In a game with one-shot kills it's a bad choice imho, and it looks like I'm in for a very frustrating (and not fun) SP campaign.

Anyway I'll leave it as it is, we'll see after the next patch. What I saw so far looked and felt worse than Arma1 and didn't entice me to go past the 1st boot camp.

Disappointed. No anti-aliasing. Besides the jaggies which I cannot tolerate, graphics are worse that in Arma1, at a framerate that is half of Arma1's (which is around 60 with everything on full with the latter). Everything is much fuzzier. Even at 200% of the fill rate optimizer or whatever it is called, I don't understand why soldiers and equipment must be fuzzy at 30m. It's completely sharp on Arma1, that I was still playing yesterday. I understand fuzziness with full AA but without it it doesn't make sense, it makes the game look like a quick console port of which we've seen too many.

Controls feel console-port-ish too. A mouselook to the left or right responds after about a second, stops after you have, and the motion blur does not help. Forget about split-second reflexes.

Still the same horrible save system, one slot, and to add insult to injury it gets overwritten when exiting by Alt-F4. In a game with one-shot kills it's a bad choice imho, and it looks like I'm in for a very frustrating (and not fun) SP campaign.

Anyway I'll leave it as it is, we'll see after the next patch. What I saw so far looked and felt worse than Arma1 and didn't entice me to go past the 1st boot camp.

I suggest tweaking your config, you shouldn't have these performances

graphics are worse that in Arma1

Ahh, good one. I laughed.

I don't understand why soldiers and equipment must be fuzzy at 30m.

Set postprocessing to low. Anything else is just too fuzzy.

Sounds like VSync with triple buffering and an unhealthy side of hyperbole. Force VSync off in your driver. And cut back on the hyperbole.

Play on recruit. Learn 2 situational awareness.

Your loss.

turn fill rate to 100%. make sure view distance is reasonable - 1600m works for me fine. try all other settings at normal first. then raise to get a balance. sounds like you're trying to set things way to high for your system to cope with.

i get 51FPS average with fast response on mouselook and motion blur is hardly noticeable unless my FPS dips and only have an ati 4870. :)

edit - vista is a bit crap for some games. try win7.

Edited by twisted

Folks, this is an 'impressions' thread, there is a Troubleshooting section just for this. Let him post his impressions, if he can't be bothered to look for answers then so be it, his loss.

User's guide is impressing 70-page book ;)

No Chernorus map promised at preorder ;(

Did you by any chance order from Game (UK), as i too am yet to recieve my PDF map download link.

@Ohara:

Any chance that we will get the 1.02 Patch today or tomorrow?

:)

rig: quad Q6600 3.30GHz, 4gb, 280gtx, windows 7

On everything maxed @ 1900x1200 i get around 26-40 fps, maybe time for a new graphic card :D or at least that will be my excuse!! ARMA 2 is amazing about 2 hours into the campaign and have to say not had any problems so far.

I got the map at around 17:30 today so i would imagine you should get it soon

Edited by hughesy627

Hopefully they will release the promised 1.02 patch tomorrow, because 1.01 is terrible.

Anyone esle want the link to the PDF pm me. Mr Reality I sent u a pm to get the ball rolling.

We are thinking about releasing patch tomorrow. Its quite complicated, because we need to have same version of patch and steam master. So its mean also close steam version tomorrow. In that case, we will probably postpone demo to beginning of next week, because we are not able to build and rellease all that together.

Fine. Patch is more importent.

+1

maximise positive impressions of bought game through patch fixes would make sense.

Patch is DEFINATELY more important!

We are thinking about releasing patch tomorrow. Its quite complicated, because we need to have same version of patch and steam master. So its mean also close steam version tomorrow. In that case, we will probably postpone demo to beginning of next week, because we are not able to build and rellease all that together.

Cool, as along as the patch works with the "nexway version", definitely the patch is more important.

That just made me click on the buy now button! I've been checking stores today to buy the game and they said come back tomorrow but I just can't wait any longer!!!! Haha, I will get the boxed version as well but that's just for my BIS collection ;)

who needs a demo, release patch, let peeps buy if they want to play

I wanted a demo so that I could at least play it while waiting for my ArmA II copy to get to me from the UK. However, I definitely say the patch is much more important. 100%.

Demo is important, we know it, but patch will go first.

Demo is important, we know it, but patch will go first.

Woo!

Can't wait to get back into the capaign (I hope the pactch fixes a lot of the issues...).

yey.......!! what a game far outshines arma, few trigger problems in single player, but I am surprised at frame rate and quaility with my avarage rig.

xp 64bit

core 2 duo 2.5ghz

4gig ddr2 ram

ati 4670 1gig

don't think of it as being vastly outnumbered ..... but just as having a large target selection .......