Sign in to follow this  
jumpinghubert

the more AI the lower CPU-Usage

Hi,

i logged the CPU-Usage with "perfmon", a system tool of xp:

in editor, for example one Squad I have constantly 70-80% cpu-usage.

The more units i set the lower the cpu-usage nearly proportional down to 40%.

Its reproducible.

regards from germany

Edited by JumpingHubert

Title edited, it's "AI" in English.

That's true and this is the thing that i hope BIS tries to improve somehow if possible. I can run the game with almost max details in armory with few AI units. Only if the missions & campaigns would be as smooth. :(

Well, this actually makes me really hopeful. :D You'd think that it runs worse because theres are to many things, but no, its a bug! :D

I just read again the OP:s thread. Yesterday when i got from work i guess i was sleepy. :D

Forget this thread...

Same here. Played Warfare alone and after start game runs fine but after an hour i closed the game, too many units i think.

Athlon 64 x2 4800+ @2.77ghz

4gig

Gts 250

500 sata

regards from "Berlin" ^^

Germany is beta^^

Edited by TeilX

Well, this actually makes me really hopeful. :D You'd think that it runs worse because theres are to many things, but no, its a bug! :D

well, you think BI will/can fix that? they couldn't since ArmA1 and now they will, when game2 is already released? you are optimistic. ;)

performance and mouse lag was 2 primary things I hoped to be changed from Armed Assault. if this not happened, I don't predict a bright future for Bohemia.

When your system is overloaded you definitely get serious mouse lag. If it wasn't for mouse lag, I'd probably be messing with Arma 2 with my current system (3500+ single core 7900GS) at minimum settings but at 1650X1080. I mean my bad PC makes it ugly, but mouse lag is what makes it unplayable.

...I mean my bad PC makes it ugly, but mouse lag is what makes it unplayable.

so nothing has changed at this point?

Edited by funkee

so nothing has changed at this point?

I hadn't played ARMA1 or OFP, so I can't compare. Youtube gameplay videos don't seem to have the issues I'm having, though, so I doubt it's a problem when playing with proper PCs.

Can you please post it in the dev-heaven A2Commnity-issue Bugtracker?

With reference to this thread?

Can you please post it in the dev-heaven A2Commnity-issue Bugtracker?

With reference to this thread?

done :). I hope I do it in the right way.

update patch 1.02!

no difference,

editor 2 groups fight: average 70% cpu-usage

editor 10 groups fight: down to 50% cpu-usage.

xp-home tested. nvidia 185.85 driver.

Please post your results.

update Arma2 version 1.04 betapatch 59210. nvidiadriver 191.07.

no difference

Situation: set 7 vs 7 infantrygroups (per group 7 men) in modus search & destroy (AI-Level 0.85). After that I set one infantrygroup without fighting.

7 vs 7 groups: cpu-load between 48-60%

only one group: cpu-load constantly 72%

any other results??

Edited by JumpingHubert

@JumpingHuber can you post your testing missions? Then we can compare with the same tool. We also should test if this condition is true with dedicated server. I assume you have been testing in singel player mode.

One or more critical bottelneck seems to be present if this is true, or that was my the first taught that did come to my mind. Second taught, this could be ok, in it's own strange way. High cpu utlization is not a goal in it self, so the case could be twisted around, and the bug (if it is a bug) is only present with few units, hehe. I don't know.

One legimit cause could be: The main thread use max cpu cycles because it does not have to wait for something, and it has the optimal amount with things and stuff to do. Rising the ai numbers could rise cpu utilization in a another thread, with the effect that the main thread is starved. Don't know that either. This is only is a problem/bug if the effect impact the game in a negative way, but yes it deserv a closer examination.

you don´t need my missions to test the correlation between number of fighting AI and cpu-load. It´s not like a benchmark where exact the same conditions have to exist. I used sp mode in editor, you can set more AI or less more. My question is: has anybody with different system (i7 or AMD´s processors) similar results. I guess its like you say; something with reserved processortime for ai-activity.

anyway, here it is http://www.file-upload.net/download-1948545/mission.sqm.html To generate the other mission, you can delete 6 from 7 groups on both sides.

Edited by JumpingHubert