Sign in to follow this  
Georg.B

Riding ontop of APCs

So in that one campaign mission you start off riding ontop of an AAV with bikes there as well.

However, when I place an AAV in the editor and hop inside, I get placed inside of it. Is there a way to ride on top of it without resorting to scripting like assigning a cargo position, and can you do this with any APC or just the AAV? How can you place bikes on top of it too?

maybe just scripted, just for that mission

I dont have ArmA II but from what I'm reading the logics control alot now, I'd suggest testing them out, or even opening the mission pbo itself and seeing how BI did it (just like how the community ever learnt how to make missions/addons :)

Hmmm, I wonder whether this has been done with the new attachTo command. If it has then it may be possible to write a script that will give units an action that would allow them to sit on top of the APC or to fix bikes etc on top.

Essentially it would work something like: move near APC --> give player action to ride on top --> attachTo player to memory point position on APC --> force sitting animation for unit --> give player action to climb down etc.

Edited by norrin

My guess is that there's another APC unit in the config that isn't visible in editor (with cargo ontop and bike model proxys). Mission script probably swaps the APC to regular when you disembark and get on bikes.

createVehicle a "aav_cutscene" and enjoy

Haven't tested it in mp yet though

(this probably should be moved to arma2 editing)

Nice find Mike84, very cool :)

This is an example of the power of the new attachTo command - this is on regular APC, so you could have units in the back and on the top with this command.

attahTo.jpg

These guys will stay in these positions while the vehicle moves around. If we had the correct animations, eg sitting with rifles up, they would even be able to cover limited arcs of fire!

Edited by norrin

sweet discoveries there guys :) can't wait to try it out myself later in summer :)

very interesting, please do proceed with investigation in order to have it possible and naturally.

How does the command work in multiplayer, anyone tested?

Can we shoot and defend the vehicle from on top positions? How about AI?

Unlike setPos the attachTo command appears to be fully MP compatible - its what I used in the MP compatible fast rope script I released earlier, I've used it quite a bit in my VBS2 scripting.

The command essentially locks you in place, you can then force the unit to play an animation or you can allow it free movement so you can kneel or stand or lie down as normal (you just can't move anywhere).

If you bring up the iron sight view while attached you can then aim within a limited arc using the alt key so its is possible to shoot from the back of moving vehicles. The only problem I've got is that it won't allow you to give an attached player any actions so he can't detach himself and disembark but I'm working on it and I'll hopefully have a scripted onTop APC in the next couple of days to show you.

if it is working, there will be so many possibility to the game engine

how about a vehicle class attachto another vehicle class? is it possible?

its a special vehicle.."AAV_cutscene"

There's two separate issues being discussed here. First as you state there's the APC vehicle ("AAV_cutscene") that allows you to ride on the top of but on this vehicle you cannot change animation and fire etc.

The second is to use the attachTo command to force units to sit ontop of vehicles. Using this method the player can change animation and fire etc. The picture I posted on the previous page uses this method, ie. the attachTo command, to place the units on top of the APC.

I've already tried using the attachTo command to make myself able to shoot from moving vehicles.

First problem is that you can't turn your body.

Second is that you can't reload.

There may be some scripting tricks to overcome these problems though.

I've already tried using the attachTo command to make myself able to shoot from moving vehicles.

First problem is that you can't turn your body.

Second is that you can't reload.

There may be some scripting tricks to overcome these problems though.

Have you tried bring up the iron sites and holding the alt key down as this will give you a limited field of fire ie. you can rotate through a 45 degree arc and shoot

Have you tried bring up the iron sites and holding the alt key down as this will give you a limited field of fire ie. you can rotate through a 45 degree arc and shoot

Yes. But IMO it's not good enough for widespread use until that problem is properly sorted :)

I did script a rather crappy solution that only worked if you had floating zone off and stuck in first person view. It also didn't work all the time.

Basically it used the weapondirection command to detect where the weapon was pointing and then it would rotate the player with setdir.

Agreed Maddmatt its far from perfect but in instances where you're only going to have a limited field of fire anyway, eg. shooting from the doors of choppers, it could be enough what do you reckon?

Edited by norrin

Agreed Maddmatt its far from perfect but in instances where you're only going to have a limited field of fire anyway, eg. shooting from the doors of choppers, it could be enough what do you reckon?

Yea that's true. I think it could also be made better in a mod like ACE 2 where the 'floating zone' can be increased. That way when in 'look mode' and viewing through the sites you will have a pretty decent field of fire. Could be awesome for Little Birds :)

Maybe a better scripter than me could come up with a good solution that lets you turn without the bugs.

While you mention little birds, would it be possible to use that sitting animation for on top of APCs and out of sea hawk doors, so it looks like there legs are dangling over the sides?

You see, you could do something sensible like having guys sit on APCs and have them drop off at the objective.

OR.. you could attach guys to cows and have a cow jousting game. Or place a helicopter inside a frigate and put howitzers on the deck of the frigate and have a big flying frigate PvP. Or stick a .50 cal machinegun to the head of a soldier and have a mobile MG that can go up ladders and stairs!

The possibilities are endless.

clipboard01cdy.png

74127697.png

Video should be coming soon

Edited by IceShade

yes but when i am let near a mission editor nothing is ever sensible. From cow jousting to a frigate with a ton of guns attached, 6 players and a hind to shoot at.

short youtube with sound: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPTBGdqPU6Q

stream: http://szrgta.com/arma2/shipofdeath.html [takes a short while to start playing]

link: http://szrgta.com/arma2/shipofdeath.avi

Iceshade, if you really want that frigate to fly and engage enemies properly you could attach it to a chopper that has side mounted MGs, like the UH1. Now that would scare the crap out of people if they encounter it in MP :D

The reason for using a chopper with side mounted MGs is that the AI would then circle it around enemies, allowing it to use the weapons more effectively.

BTW please release a demo mission with that thing!