Sign in to follow this  
bravo 6

Animation while Looking and Aiming

Is it possible to improve the animation feeling when we actually hold the weapon and when we actually aim with and without the 'V' Key?

• 1. Safe mode:
animation_00_s.jpg

• 2. Aware but not aiming, average use:
    [ animation missing... ]
    ?

• 3. Aware + Combat + aim WITHOUT 'V' Key
animation_01_s.jpg

• 4. Aware + Combat + aim WITH 'V' Key
animation_06_s.jpg

Of course the draw is not perfect but i hope BIS Developer Animators understand the purpose of my suggestion.

Two more animations could be added + improved to increase realism.

Also it would look much more realistic for outsiders, ie, people that watch will have a better feeling when the soldier is actually aiming.

Yeah draggin the weapon up to the shoulder - moving in with head to aim when holding mouse button down (ZOOM or V) would be awesome. Holding the right mouse button when not in aim mode would ZOOM as normal. Could work. I think?

An aiming anim with the inverse kinematics would be nice. It's not a game-breaker but it does look silly when you're killed by a sniper at 500m who's not looking through his scope.

One more animation I would suggest is an 'aware + walking + rifle not shouldered'. It looks silly when the one way a group on aware can move slow is by shouldering the rifle.

Meh, I am 99.99% sure that they will not include the "aiming" animation as you suggested :(

That said, its better to have 0.01% hope then no hope at all.

This small detail reminds me the finger animation it was discussed in 2006 for ArmA1. Though i believe these animations are more complexed but more "useful" then the finger. ;)

edit: typo

Yep, but you know, after all those years I've learned not to hold my breath for such things... really sad xD

I think Insurgency mod has this animation, you can see if people are looking through their sights or not.

I think Insurgency mod has this animation, you can see if people are looking through their sights or not.

Really ? Too bad there isn't any Insurgency in ArmA(2) ! Ha !

Sparks can u link that mod I can't seem to find it.

I miss the aiming animation too.

Everybody looks like they're going to shoot any moment soon but they're not :/

At least it seems that BIS have forced the AI to use the "weapon down" animation more.

Sadly the 1st released ArmA2 version do not have similar animations referred in this thread, maybe BIS did not had time to make them yet or they just simply ignored them. Maybe they will never do them and don't intend to. If thats the case, this thread and its mean is useless.

If moderators/developers decide these animations won't be added or taken into consideration in future versions, in order to improve the realism and feeling please close this thread on my request.

If developers decide to implement and add such animations hurray.

Yes this is not in Arma2 (haha seriously who expected this?).

I have suggested this over numerous times in the past for Arma2 to have a own tiny animation where people outside could detec whether you are looking through your sights or not.

Even one Person i know with a "wire" to BIS asked them to add such a option.

I don't have much insight about animations for Arma(2) but this should be not hard to do.

I was suggesting this for instance also for ACE-Mod for Arma1 and the answer from the ACE-Devs was IIRC, to wait what Arma2 brings in this Sector before a own attempt would be made.

So it sounds that this is very possible - even cooler looking possibilities in Arma2 with its "Inverse kinematics" - so you could for instance make different head-Positions for different Scopes/Ironsights, so yyou could really press the Models right eye to a Scope where it is usual and for normal Ironsights you could place the head at some distance.

At least one simple animation should be enough. Great thing while checking on your mates if they are ready to shoot.

I'm missing the aiming animation as well.

I think it is unacceptable that you can't see whether your teammates are aiming or not, also that you can't see if a enemy is actually aiming at you through the ironsight (or whatever aim his gun have.)

This is a simulator.. so the animation should really exist in such a game.

Unacceptible, eh?

It would be weird, I think, because I don't think the AI aim through any sights when they shoot... so they would never appear to be aiming at you.

Unacceptible, eh?

It would be weird, I think, because I don't think the AI aim through any sights when they shoot... so they would never appear to be aiming at you.

Ehm, ofcourse they don't aim through any sight.. they are bots, but you can fake that they do aim through a sight with a simple animation.

Irl if your teammate is aiming through his sight, you would automatically watch his back a bit, but in ARMA II you can't even see if he is aiming, that is completely unacceptable in my opinion.

Much simpler games, even arcade shooters have this simple animation..

I just cannot understand why they didn't add the animation, it would have been soo easy to implement, and it would have made the game better.

I think it's almost like a joke, they spent lots of time to create awesome animations when they reload the gun, when they run, when they swim, etc etc, and when they designed the vehicles they designed them very detailed, every bolt is on the same place where they are on real vehicles.

But a simple but important animation when you aim does not exist, jeez, apparently they think bolts is more important than a important animation which shows when you aim with your gun..

Edited by Blackbird_CaD_

I'm on board with you but the whole thing about this game is that the AI can do everything the player can and visa versa. So this is why you can have all of these weird visual aides like the ir/radar screen and target reticles for troops... your player controlled character still has some of the AI features. Also, they do their best not to allow the AI to do anything the player can't. It's called the fAIr system, or something. At any rate, in order to keep the game fAIr, which is a corner stone of their design, I think, the would have to then program the AI to appear to be using weapon sights.

Are we absolutely sure that the AI don't "use weapon sights"? I'm sure when they are prone and slowly scanning the horizon, their FOV seems much smaller. I'll do some testing and perhaps make an example mission when I get home.

In any case, I think an aiming animation would add a lot of immersion to the game, so I'm all for it! :)

V key? wasnt that arma1 ? :D

who cares. Profiles from ArmA1 can be used in ArmA2...

I really miss this animation. Please BIS do it for your "little" fan.