Sign in to follow this  
Voidworm

ArmA 2 on PlayStation 3

Apparently ArmA 2 is going to be released on the PS3. Have Bohemia actually confirmed this as a fact?

Bohemia did a great job of transfering a lot of the technicalities of Flashpoint over to a console with Operation Flashpoint: Elite. I think with the PS3 version of ArmA 2 Bohemia could get away with doing an almost perfect port of the PC version due to the fact that the PS3 is based on an open network, it accepts multiple file types, and Sony is very lenient on user created mods.

I believe at the very least Bohemia could cram the full mission editor into the PS3 version, but what would really set ArmA 2 off on PS3 would be making it so it can accept PC-created mods. Unreal Tournament 3 is a great example of how PC-created mods work on PS3, and I think that ArmA 2 could take console mods and mission creation to the next level.

It would also be interesting if Bohemia would enable cross-platform play between the PC and PS3. I assume both versions will be powered by GameSpy so platform compatibility probably isn't a huge issue. I think the main argument there would be either PC purists not wanting console newbs infecting their servers, or the whole keyboard & mouse vs. controller thing - which is actually something else that Bohemia should consider. Indeed, the PS3 version could have keyboard & mouse support as well as full key customization, because again, Unreal Tournament 3 has proven that this works on PS3.

I want to be clear that these are not features that I'm begging for, I just wish to discuss possibilities for the PS3 version of ArmA 2, so let me know what you think.

Wait for some better comments but I can comment on past talk about the xbox conversion.

I am unsure of PS3 specs but apparantly the reason for the Xbox conversion and not PS2 conversion were simple (I have a PS2 and so don't many many people I knew then)

The PS2 had different processor and video, the Xbox has same as PC so they only had to rewrite some code to make it run better on less specs.

So maybe thats your answer

Until someone can comment with better knowledge

I can't remember if this is a fact or just an assumption, but I think that BIS is releasing for the Xbox360 for sure, so if there were plans for the PS3 it probably would have been mentioned by now.

...However only BIS can really confirm this.

I think that Arma II could work decently on the PS3 and Xbox360 though, and importing mods sounds like a good idea because it would help create a larger fanbase. I'm not a fan of GameSpy though. Not for any reason imparticular, except that I don't know what it's for and I never noticed any difference between games that use it and games that don't. I guess that's a little unfair and ignorant, but that's just how I feel.

I can't remember if this is a fact or just an assumption, but I think that BIS is releasing for the Xbox360 for sure, so if there were plans for the PS3 it probably would have been mentioned by now.

...However only BIS can really confirm this.

Yeah, unfortunately I could find very little about Bohemia's plans for console development. I know ArmA 2 is going to be released for "next generation consoles" but there's not much else to go on besides that.

I think that Arma II could work decently on the PS3 and Xbox360 though, and importing mods sounds like a good idea because it would help create a larger fanbase. I'm not a fan of GameSpy though. Not for any reason imparticular, except that I don't know what it's for and I never noticed any difference between games that use it and games that don't. I guess that's a little unfair and ignorant, but that's just how I feel.

GameSpy is just an infrastructure service for online videogames. For instance, ArmA is "powered by GameSpy" which means that it uses the GameSpy infrastructure in it's server browser.

GameSpy is actually a decent service because it provides developers with a ready-made online infrastructure so they don't have to waste extra time creating their own from scratch. This is especially rewarding for console owners because they can play their PlayStation 2/3, Wii, DS, and PSP online for free, and since all of those platforms are powered by GameSpy they could potentially all have cross-platform mutliplayer.

If this game is released in console like X-Box or PS-X, this means that the game would be more arcade than simulation...

If this game is released in console like X-Box or PS-X, this means that the game would be more arcade than simulation...

Well, this game WILL be released on Xbox 360. It is allready confirm. And it will be not the Arcade. Look at Flashpoint Elite. Is this an Arcade game? No. It's simulation like OFP on PC.

But, we should return to topic. As far I now, ArmA 2 will be not released on PS3. Suma said, they will do not the OpenGL version of ArmA 2, what means, this game will be not released on PS3. Placebo in topic 'which console' said, that if someone will play this game on console, there is only one choice, Xbox 360.

this means that the game would be more arcade than simulation...

Not true in the slightest, wasn't true for Flashpoint: Elite and won't be true for ArmA2.

If Arma II released for playstatio 3. it wil be a nightmare. As we know. the most advantage of Arma and OFP is it allow the player to develop they own addon and write script to control the game. If the arma II lose it, it will just be another COD4. unfortunately, I don't think ArmaII will be better than COD4, if it just is a shooting game.

I only hope BIS just try their best to develop Arma II for PC.

Quote[/b] ]Not true in the slightest, wasn't true for Flashpoint: Elite and won't be true for ArmA2.

Good to know, but will this also bring us a non-watered down version of the built in mission editor on the console(s)?

I really hope so, because that was actually the only flaw of Elite...

Grim

this means that the game would be more arcade than simulation...

Not true in the slightest, wasn't true for Flashpoint: Elite and won't be true for ArmA2.

Good to hear Placebo (of course we Elitists knew that all along;)

Btw, could you give info on the editor which, i hope, comes with the possible 360 version of ArmA2? Will it be a 'copy' of the Elite-editor idea (which i would call a 'lite' editor) or would it be a more powerful editor (i mean, some things were missed in Elite editor and were never fixed)

I liked toying with the Elite-editor, having spend countless nights with the thing:)

Edit: Rereading the thread i realize i asked for exactly the same thing as Grim (and Grim was first post, so credits to him;)

I think that regardless of what console(s) Bohemia actually develop ArmA 2 for they should certainly include the full mission editor without any exceptions.

I know asking for mod and script support in the PS3 version is probably a stretch (although a completely realistic and possible one) but the full mission editor really isn't a stretch when considering the fairly large amount of dedicated memory current consoles have.

I think players are perfectly capable of policing their own missions. If the framerates get too slow or there are just too many things going on players will understand that they've hit the roof of the mission editor's capabilities without Bohemia having to put safeguards or training wheels in place.

I sincerely hope that Bohemia does develop a PS3 version of ArmA 2 though, because while I also own a 360 I prefer being able to play my games online for free on PSN. Plus the PS3 supports USB transfer of saved files as well as keyboard & mouse control in games. It's essentially a compact dedicated gaming PC and I think it would be a great environment for a game like ArmA 2.

Quote[/b] ]Not true in the slightest, wasn't true for Flashpoint: Elite and won't be true for ArmA2.

Good to know, but will this also bring us a non-watered down version of the built in mission editor on the console(s)?

I really hope so, because that was actually the only flaw of Elite...

Grim

I'm afraid I have no info about what will or won't be in the console version smile_o.gif

I dont know.

My two cents are that why cant we have a PC exclusive Game, it seems the such a concept is no longer possible in todays market.

There are plenty of games exclusive to Ps3 or Xbox, so why cant Arma2 be exclusive to PC .

JUst an oppinion, not really up for discussion.

No i meant in the context of the Arma 2 i apologise for any confusion

No i meant in the context of the Arma 2 i apologise for any confusion

Yeah i know, i was just kidding biggrin_o.gif

Gaming on Consoles, without the possibility of the use of user made content? Never, no way. What for?

All PC games get better an better over time, because of mod`s. The Console games will get more and more boring over time, because there are no mod`s, besides some $official expansions$.

No game that i play, would get played by me today without mod`s.

Don`t forget what you miss when you buy an console to play games. huh.gif

Too much, if you ask me.

Gaming on Consoles, without the possibility of the use of user made content? Never, no way. What for?

All PC games get better an better over time, because of mod`s. The Console games will get more and more boring over time, because there are no mod`s, besides some $official expansions$.

Too much, if you ask me.

Have you heard of UT3 on PS3?

A first for consoles but you CAN import by usb stick usermods into UT3 on PS3.

(I myself don't have a PS3 yet, but a friend just told me that it is possible ... dunno if it will be big but the idea is there ... IF it works, well it is another stab into pc gaming, and another 'pc exclusivisity' lost, like hires, like online, like you name it)

(I myself don't have a PS3 yet, but a friend just told me that it is possible ... dunno if it will be big but the idea is there ... IF it works, well it is another stab into pc gaming, and another 'pc exclusivisity' lost, like hires, like online, like you name it)

Good luck with that, to the PS3 users.

And proper Anti-Virus Software for the PS3, if there is something like that, else that will get very risky.

I don`t think you get you`re console exchanged, or fixed for free, if the system is ruined. huh.gif

And proper Anti-Virus Software for the PS3, if there is something like that, else that will get very risky.

I don`t think you get you`re console exchanged, or fixed for free, if the system is ruined. huh.gif

Is this some kind of jealousy or something?

But ok, it is true, with my xbox and now 360 i had never ever EVER had to think about virusses ... nope, i can spend all my time into gaming (gaming, a fun thing long forgotten by some i guess)

Too much, if you ask me.

Yeah i was Gonna raise the subject of UT3 on ps3. I Have yet to get but im more likely to get it on my ps3 because it supports pc mods and i dont have to upgrade my Ps3 for it...... I mean i cant play arma on full settings.. and i dont really have the money to upgrade my PC at the moment. So if they released it on Ps3 it would save me shitloads... even if i had to buy a usb keyboard and mouse id do it

Yeah i was Gonna raise the subject of UT3 on ps3.

It's cool, man. I already brought that up in the very first post of this thread one month ago.

UT3 on PS3 supports mods very well, I know this because I own the game on PS3 and I've imported several mods and they work great. That is exactly why I'd like to see Bohemia step up to the plate and give PS3 mods and full mission editing a try for ArmA 2.

Well, to begin with, the PS3's operating system is proprietary so no Windows-based viruses are going to have any effect on it. Secondly, PS3 users have already been having good luck downloading mods. In fact, here's a link to website dedicated solely to downloading UT3 mods on PS3:

http://www.ut3mod.com/

In concept, it's no stretch to think that ArmA 2 could be exactly as good on PS3 as it is on PC. The PS3 supports keyboard and mouse control, modding, and free cross-platform online gameplay. It's the perfect console for ArmA 2.

Yeah i was Gonna raise the subject of UT3 on ps3.

It's cool, man. I already brought that up in the very first post of this thread one month ago.

UT3 on PS3 supports mods very well, I know this because I own the game on PS3 and I've imported several mods and they work great. That is exactly why I'd like to see Bohemia step up to the plate and give PS3 mods and full mission editing a try for ArmA 2.

Well, to begin with, the PS3's operating system is proprietary so no Windows-based viruses are going to have any effect on it. Secondly, PS3 users have already been having good luck downloading mods. In fact, here's a link to website dedicated solely to downloading UT3 mods on PS3:

http://www.ut3mod.com/

In concept, it's no stretch to think that ArmA 2 could be exactly as good on PS3 as it is on PC. The PS3 supports keyboard and mouse control, modding, and free cross-platform online gameplay. It's the perfect console for ArmA 2.

Good post man, i consider myself a 360 gamer (you could call me a fanboy), but that is because of XBL ... however this UT3/mod/PS3 thingy makes me very interested. If games like ArmA2, OFP2 or other tac shooter would work 'better' on PS3 than on 360 i would consider buying a PS3 as a second console. I'm not a UT fan so that game is not gonna persuad me atm.

Good post man, i consider myself a 360 gamer (you could call me a fanboy), but that is because of XBL ... however this UT3/mod/PS3 thingy makes me very interested. If games like ArmA2, OFP2 or other  tac shooter would work 'better' on PS3 than on 360 i would consider buying a PS3 as a second console. I'm not a UT fan so that game is not gonna persuad me atm.

Thanks Maxqubit,

I also own a 360 and I was really into the original Xbox because of Live (especially for Operation Flashpoint: Elite). However, after buying a PS3 and getting to know the machine's capabilities, and having seen what's to come for it's online infrastructure, I began to question what Xbox Live had that PSN didn't. Basically, Xbox Live has better friends list integration and that's really the only thing that separates it from PSN. To me that no longer seemed like it was worth $50.00 per year, especially since PSN already has similar features and it's free. Plus, Sony is going to build upon PSN by including a free program called "Home" where PSN users use custom avatars and virtual meeting spaces to hook up and play games online.

Another unfortunate thing about Xbox Live is that Microsoft looks down on free user created mods being distributed on their service. Epic Games (creators of UT3) have had no success trying to convince Microsoft to allow user created mods for the 360 version of UT3. That, and the fact that DRM limitations prevent USB transfer of save files on the 360 make the future look pretty bleak for mods in 360 games.

It's for those reasons and the various reasons I've been barking about throughout this thread that I think games like ArmA 2 and other PC-ported tactical shooters would fair better on the PS3.