B-52 Stratofortress

FEATURES

- 84 x MK82 bombs

- 20mm Vulcan Tailgun

- Bombbay doors

- Undercarriage

- Dragchute

Important

Properly read the READMEs before making ANY complaints or suggestions!

Based on the old beta by Zack and SoldierBen

Dragchute and scripts by CSJ

Tailgun based on stuff by Footmunch and Gecko

"Air Traffic Control" (ATC) implementation by UNN

"Naming" help from Bart.Jan

Virtual Bomber

FEATURE

- Enables most bombers with freefall weapons to become proper "non dive-bombing" bombers.

Spawned by the fact;

> this disableAI "target" <

stops planes from swooping tagets (but produces side effect that need controlling! ) .

This addon is a pack of scripts only.

Check the README on how to use this addon

or

Demo Missions

- 2 SP Missions

- Both use / demonstrate the Virtual Bomber (VBomber) addon

- 1 mission uses the B-52 Stratofortress

- 1 mission uses the lovely F-111 addon by Skaircro

Download

All items (B-52, VBomber, Missions and Readme's) are here

>>>> LINK <<<<

(not recommended for small islands :rofl: )

While neither addon is "perfect", I have spent a fair bit of my non-existant spare time trying to make both addons OFP and user friendly. The way I looked at it, there was little use providing a B-52 if you couldnt stop the stupid dive bombing, hence I was forced to also produce the VBomber addon.

I do hope Footmuch can arm his Backfire with Free Fall munitions soon, cuz my Tu95 is way off.

BTW, I typically don't see the B-52 as a "player" addon for missions (although the tailgun is great fun! ), more for AI and good mission design ... and maybe even CTI's !!

Have fun :smile_o:

Edited by W0lle
Working link added

looks cool! DL right now. Will try it after I sober up a little smile_o.gif Does the bomber have a ripple option? Where bomber drops a bunch of bombs instead of 1 at a time.

Can't wait to try it.

Does the bomber have a ripple option?    Where bomber drops a bunch of bombs instead of 1 at a time.

Yes, it has a ripple option

Well, perhaps i am a noob or i'm blind because i didn't find it in the readme: how can i get this fat baby working as player? The bomb-bay opens, but i don't have any bombs to drop... and the brake-chute doesn't work too...

The bomb-bay opens, but i don't have any bombs to drop...

Press the space bar ...........

Now i got everything working.... wooohah, this BUFF rocks... absolutely... all we need now is some paintings, nose arts and we can bomb Hanoi... wink_o.gif

i didn't tryed it out, but there is only black camo version in the pix, any other?

This is pretty neat stuff; although it's not supposed to be human oriented, it doesn't work too bad if you like bomb spamming. In the demo mission, I got a good laugh watching the AI, post bomb run, try the usual diving attacks but blow themselves up attacking the BMPs. They destroyed everything except for the two Su-25s parked northmost on the runway.

I think this could be applied to just about any kind of level bomber in the business.

Hehe I love bomb spamming aka carpet bombing. Especially with the biggest bombs possible :evil grin:

no there is just a oliv green camo

Yeh, I have some technical skills but my texture making has a lot to be desired .... whistle.gif

I'll have another go at textures once I get close to a multi munitions version.

Well the textures are maybe not pretty but functional and very low-lag wink_o.gif

Well done addon, though they look kind of funny when not using the scripts, really big planes swooping down O_o

Ok got to play with it ,and I like it. Might take me awhile to get scripts down but I hope other bomber addons will follow your lead.

Long ago I use play a game called A-10 Cuba. In 1 mission you got the chance to blow off the mission, and hunt down a group of friendly B-52s. I loved chasing them into the sea smile_o.gif Now I get to relive the fun of an midair mamoth hunt......yep I'm twisted!

Great work!

Guest RKSL-Rock

Have to say i love the Virtual bomber...i think changing the formation to "Staggered column" might be more effective on the demo missions.

Couple of things about the B-52 - nothing major just slightly annoying...the engine smoke.

...Engine smoke while taxiing - I'd make it so that the smoke comes on over 50-75kph to simulate full throttle burns on take off.  On Taxiing around to get off the airfield its a bit too much.

...While flying the smoke is too regular and unrealistic at speed, and every once in a while a white 'puff' appears.

But other than that im having a blast (pardon the pun) blowing the crap out of everything i can find.

Going back to the Virtual bomber...is there a way to script the bombing into the mission without the user defining the way points?

Thanks Rock.

Quote[/b] ]i think changing the formation to "Staggered column" might be more effective

Yeh .... might add a "Formation" option to the VBomber call smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I'd make it so that the smoke comes on over 50-75kph

Fair point ..... next beta.

Quote[/b] ]While flying the smoke is too regular and unrealistic at speed

Yeh .... but looking from the ground up at a B52 at high altitude it looks OK ..... which is the typical way I see OFP players seeing, not actually flying it.

The real reason it as it is it FRAME RATE ..... if I crank the smoke up any higher on "puffs" the frame rate dies.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:Darkred'>Want to drop bombs without using VBomber?</span></span>

Here we go ....

Theory; 3 x AI B-52s named A1, A2 & A3 following standard editor waypoints.

AT THE START

Something like this in each units INIT field

Quote[/b] ]<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:Darkred'>this disableAI "target"; this flyInHeight 180</span></span>

AT A WAYPOINT OR TRIGGER ~2km FROM TARGET

Required to open Bombbay doors.

Quote[/b] ]<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:Darkred'>A1 setbehaviour "COMBAT"; A2 setbehaviour "COMBAT"; A3 setbehaviour "COMBAT"</span></span>

AT A WAYPOINT OR TRIGGER IN FRONT OF TARGET

Required to force drop one batchs of bombs.

Quote[/b] ]<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:Darkred'>A1 fire "B52BombRail"; A2 fire "B52BombRail"; A3 fire "B52BombRail"</span></span>

Bombs away !!!

Have fun smile_o.gif

Rock, what do you mean by?

Quote[/b] ]is there a way to script the bombing into the mission without the user defining the way points

Thought I did, hence I wrote the above code, but now I think you mean something else (hence I edited the above).

Do you mean purely scripts that? .....

- Find target

- Get Target X & Y

- Calc B52 approach

- Move B52 to waypoints

- Drop bombs so they hit target

Guest RKSL-Rock
Quote[/b] ]Yeh .... but looking from the ground up at a B52 at high altitude it looks OK ..... which is the typical way I see OFP players seeing, not actually flying it.

The real reason it as it is it FRAME RATE ..... if I crank the smoke up any higher on "puffs" the frame rate dies.

Well i tested it on a P3 700 with 512mb RAM an ATI 7200 with a tweaked smoke trail and it seems ok even on nogova with a 2500m view distance with a drop of 2fps.

Quote[/b] ]<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:Darkred'>Want to drop bombs without using VBomber?</span></span>

Here we go ....

Theory; 3 x AI B-52s named A1, A2 & A3 following standard editor waypoints.

AT THE START

Something like this in each units INIT field

Quote[/b] ]<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:Darkred'>this disableAI "target"; this flyInHeight 180</span></span>

AT A WAYPOINT OR TRIGGER ~2km FROM TARGET

Required to open Bombbay doors.

Quote[/b] ]<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:Darkred'>A1 setbehaviour "COMBAT"; A2 setbehaviour "COMBAT"; A3 setbehaviour "COMBAT"</span></span>

AT A WAYPOINT OR TRIGGER IN FRONT OF TARGET

Required to force drop one batchs of bombs.

Quote[/b] ]<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:Darkred'>A1 fire "B52BombRail"; A2 fire "B52BombRail"; A3 fire "B52BombRail"</span></span>

Bombs away !!!

Have fun smile_o.gif

Ah so what you are saying is that you cant use LGBs or standoff weapons with the Virtual bomber just dumb bombs...

sad_o.gif

I was hoping for something capable of dropping LGBs.

Could you make the bombs more powerfull they seem weak now make it more powerfull that 1 bomb has a radius of 100 to 150 meter wink_o.gif

They seem plenty sufficient to me; remember that these are only 500lb bombs being used here. You'd need a Mk84 (2000lb) or equivalent to get a real large blast radius.

I was hoping for something capable of dropping LGBs.

You probably can use LGBs, but we would need scripting so the gunner will acquire/select a target in front of him .... then force the drop, and the target should be hit.

But what that scripting/commands are, not sure at this stage.

Quote[/b] ]remember that these are only 500lb bombs being used here

Exactly. I bet if you placed several squads of infantry around a drop site THEY'LL tell you the blast radius is plenty big enough ! biggrin_o.gif