Sign in to follow this  
jblackrupert

PC Gamer - September 2011 Article

Thanks for sharing. Fortunately they have time to fix those AI issues.

Release on March 2012. Seven months and counting...

Yeah the Ai is everything in a game like this, you are relying on it to do what is ordered. I’ve been out of gamming for a few years partly due to the six year old box under my desk not being up to it. I thought Poor Ai was a thing of the past, I know its not anything like the finished game that was played but you’d have to be embarrassed these days with a poor Ai. If you don’t have the talent inhouse get someone in that can I say.

But I’m going to get a new system next year and I hope this is worth getting back into gamming that and BF3.

I thought Poor Ai was a thing of the past, I know its not anything like the finished game that was played but you’d have to be embarrassed these days with a poor Ai. If you don’t have the talent inhouse get someone in that can I say.

Most Ai you see in games these days is so pre-scripted in what it does (or rather doesn't) that you can't really get it catastrophically wrong as a developer. Look at it like the difference between being the developer of a 2D version of Tic-tac-toe and a game that combines BF2142 and Command & Conquer. Featureless rollercoaster games that end in 4,5 hours, that is something a developer should be embarrassed about.

I played C&C for many years and yes the Ai was easy to trick and beat but your own troops basically followed instructions out not too bad at all. By this review it looks like the player had thought up a attack plan only to see Vehicles not respond and the very one they did not want to go in did.

BF2 Ai was actually really good at time, with Ai troops seriously ducking for cover and giving you back a decent fight.

The one thing I do hate is when a game plays unfair and the Ai cheats to keep up with the Human player. The Ai on silent hunter was an epic cheat it was obviously programmed to look like it was trying to find you but knew all the time where your sub was. Also the convoy Ai was shocking at times with whole fleets of ships hitting each other all because you hit one of the forty and they went into Ai panic mode.

I look on as ever with interest.

BF2 Ai was actually really good at time, with Ai troops seriously ducking for cover and giving you back a decent fight.

I used to think that as well - that is until a modder increased the size of the maps and guess what - the AI would just freeze out there in unscripted no-mans land.

It was then that I went back to OFP and realized how rare it is to find AI that can really go anywhere on their own.

Seems the AI is plagued with stupiditus.I truly hope they improve it until release because I don't want to babysit every unit in my arsenal.