Sign in to follow this  
SASrecon

New Beta Build 70644 up!

Hahahaha I forgot that -mod=beta

man I'm a tool :)

thanks for pointing that out.

your shortcut is missing -mod=beta;

Oh... not for my friends it isn't... :/

Ah well - he reverted to an earlier version for now. Glad you have it sorted out ^^

Now that horns are transfered over Network like it was in previous VR-Engine games (Thanks for that! :-) ), how about we now get finally back that Reload-Animations and Reload-Sounds to be transfered over Network too?

Now that horns are transfered over Network like it was in previous VR-Engine games (Thanks for that! :-) ), how about we now get finally back that Reload-Animations and Reload-Sounds to be transfered over Network too?

horns ARE transfered over the network in the betas now?

If that's true I gotta get everbody on these betas. I'm sick of honking to myself when somebody is in my way :)

sorry i usually use an addon launcher but im curious to check my FPS with this new beta...how do you use the -exThreads=3 ? is it -mod=Beta;-exThreads=3 in the shortcut line?

sorry i usually use an addon launcher but im curious to check my FPS with this new beta...how do you use the -exThreads=3 ? is it -mod=Beta;-exThreads=3 in the shortcut line?

Yeah, you add it in the command line. You want to leave a space between the -mod parameter and the -exThreads one, though. And you don't need the semicolon.

Yep its an old problem alright. Go vanilla - get in a heli with FFAR's - shot a lot of them when close to the ground so you hear the explosions - experience the lack of sounds. :D

Really great having the shadow problem gone while zooming though. Good stuff. If the grass could be a bit lighter for performance also that would make my day.

Indeed, the sound engine currently cant play that many sound files at once, my Helos engine cuts off when firing about 6 FFAR's in quick sucession.

Grass detail graphics option is a must, having grass enabled in most MP servers Bogs the hell out of performance.

Its a huge performance increase with no grass for me around 15 frames.

anyways Great Beta patches as always BIS! :yay:

alittle boost in performance.

Thinking about this upcoming (maybe) -maxVRAM parameter, I feel like BIS should just change the Video Memory setting to specific values, such as 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, etc. If they could hard-code the game to never use more than the specified value, I feel like it might help the stability a lot, because currently it seems like the game is incorrectly utilizing VRAM and trying to access memory that is not available or not there at all. Hence all the Out of Memory or v-buffer crashes.

Hi Maverick I believe what was causing me black screen was having to do with ArmA 2 assigning too large non local VRAM.

I haven't had a single black screen issue since I set it correctly. Thinking to set it to zero as well.

So I think you were spot on in saying that. :-)

Anyway on this beta

Benchmark 1 lost 2 average fps.

But I'm gaining 4-10 more fps in campaign and other missions such as village sweep.

Edited by Michael Withstand

Hi Maverick I believe what was causing me black screen was having to do with ArmA 2 assigning too large non local VRAM.

I haven't had a single black screen issue since I set it correctly. Thinking to set it to zero as well.

So I think you were spot on in saying that. :-)

What exactly did you set differently? The non-local VRAM in the .cfg? What'd you set it to? :cool:

What exactly did you set differently? The non-local VRAM in the .cfg? What'd you set it to? :cool:

First I set my paging file for the installation drive to 512Mb to 1024Mb. It was set to none before( I have 8Gb of DDR2 I needed no paging file).

Then I set the nonlocalVRAM in ArmA2 cfg to 768000000(768Mb which is lower than 1024Mb of the paging file available). That's it. You need to change the cfg file to read only after setting this up.

If I set the nonlocalVRAM parameter to 0 while setting the page file to none I still get a black screen.

Now I'm trying to set the local VRAM to a value slightly lower than what Arma 2 set for me while setting the drive paging file to none. My GPU memory is 512Mb and the localVRAm was set to 519Mb. Now I set it to about 507Mb. I keep my fingers crossed.

And about the gain in fps with the beta patch well it was a false observation. In fact FPS is reduced with the beta patch :-(. Hope they'll optimize it before releasing it out.

Edited by Michael Withstand

More often I see first white textures - no matter which parameter or ingame memory usage or if I change arma.cfg...

Using the latest Nvidia driver 197.45 for the 9800GTX+ 512MB on a DuoCore 8400 CPU @3Ghz with Vista32.

First I set my paging file for the installation drive to 512Mb to 1024Mb. It was set to none before( I have 8Gb of DDR2 I needed no paging file).

Then I set the nonlocalVRAM in ArmA2 cfg to 768000000(768Mb which is lower than 1024Mb of the paging file available). That's it. You need to change the cfg file to read only after setting this up.

If I set the nonlocalVRAM parameter to 0 while setting the page file to none I still get a black screen.

Now I'm trying to set the local VRAM to a value slightly lower than what Arma 2 set for me while setting the drive paging file to none. My GPU memory is 512Mb and the localVRAm was set to 519Mb. Now I set it to about 507Mb. I keep my fingers crossed.

And about the gain in fps with the beta patch well it was a false observation. In fact FPS is reduced with the beta patch :-(. Hope they'll optimize it before releasing it out.

That's interesting, I'll try it out. I'm pretty sure I tried altering those values in the past and I didn't see a difference, but maybe with these new betas it will matter more. Thanks for the info. :cool:

And yeah, I'm getting overall lower FPS with this new beta, specifically lower minimum FPS, which indicates (both visually and framerate-wise) more stutter.

---------- Post added at 02:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 AM ----------

I tried editing the local and non-local VRAM values in the .cfg (to 1024000000 and 2048000000 respectively) and flew around for awhile. The game seemed fairly stable for longer than before, but as I made several passes on Chernogorsk performance seemed to decrease more and more each time (lower framerate + more stutter each pass), and eventually the game just crashed with an "Out of Memory" error. So I guess maybe this helped, but not fixed the problem. The fact that performance degrades over time and then ends with a memory error says to me that there is a memory leak.

I set non-local VRAM to 2 GB because my page file is 6 GB so there really should be no problem there. I might try setting it to 1 GB just to see what happens, but I'm not super hopeful. I think this just needs to be sorted out on the dev end.

I have:

localVRAM=1073741824;

nonlocalVRAM=0;

As you can see I have set the localvram to the precise value of 1024^3 B = 1GB and made the file read only. I don't use nonlocal. No problems.

My paging file in the game directory is now 3Gb and the game is using 2Gb as nonlocalVRAM.

Haven't had a single black screen now.

It helps a lot for me.

To test for blackscreen just press Esc while in game and wait for the longest about 20 minutes or so. If the blackscreen didn't kick in they you're safe.

But I'm not having out of memory error.

As for setting nonlocalVRAM to zero,

For me the game becomes smoother(increase in fps) when paging file is used(nonlocalVRAM is set to non zero) but must be lower than the size of the paging file)

Changing localVRAM / nonlocalVRAM have the same effect as adding line bestPerformance=1, or leetSuperDuperHaxor=1337.

The VRAM values are only written by the game, never read.

leetSuperDuperHaxor=1337 doesn't work? Oh snap... I was living in a lie :(

bestPerformance=1

I get the best fps with -bestPerformance=3, 1 is much less satisfying for my ego.

Changing localVRAM / nonlocalVRAM have the same effect as adding line bestPerformance=1, or leetSuperDuperHaxor=1337.
Shock :butbut: So I guess the "-AutoKillAllAI=1" doesn't work either then.

The VRAM values are only written by the game, never read.

Good to know, thanks. :cool: