Sign in to follow this  
H-street

[H]ardOCP ArmAII Performance Review

I saw this posted before around here (I think its in press releases). This article got me to set my 3d Resolution higher than interface and it seems to work. I thought the 3d res was the global 3d window and interface was all the menu's. But higher 3d resolution settings gives you a higher sample that is passed to the interface which downsamples the higher resolution. It seemed to give a decent image quality while downsampling the 3d rendering to save a few fps.

Very nice review.

Sad to see the 4870X2 performing so modestly while being a highend card.

Very detailed article but its kind of wasted by the simple fact that anyone who has even played just the demo for 20 minutes will tell you that the game is heavily CPU limited and as such, the difference between high end dual and mid range cards is minimal...unless you don't mind changing your graphics options anytime you go near a forest or anywhere else where the cpu gets a 5 second rest.

Id like to see an article like this comparing CPUs and OS's... now that would be interesting..

Thought this was gonna be another whining thread so I'm glad to see it wasn't. :)

A good and thorough test and once again confirms what those of us with SLI/xfire cards see, that multicore GPU is virtually pointless.

great article, the fix for many of us is in that article, 4890 or GTX260 with Multicore CPU. I have E8400 and it overclocks amazingly so i don't think i need quad core yet, but for sure GTX260 or 275.

Good article but the graphics comparisons with settings like view distance etc was terrible.

There was another article out there too which convinced me to get a HD4890 and I don't regret that one bit :)

The GeForce GTX 295 was playable with that option at 900, the Radeon HD 4870 X2 at 1500, and the GeForce GTX 285 at 1100

That makes me feel pretty good about the fps I'm getting with my view distance I guess.

I agree that the view distance is way to low. I just bought my self a XFX HD 4890 Xt 1 gb for 225$ Canadian. I also bought a new mobo, Asus P5Q Pro to put my 2 HD in RAID 0 and later this year, i will buy another XFX 4890 to set a Crossfire GPU.

I can`t wait to see how much improvement it will be for the FPS.

Direct Canada. I used to buy from NCIX but it seems that Direct Canada has a better service and they ship quick.

I bought 2x4890. I want high VD, I really don't care about the texture quality and such, meaning I am annoyed by the loading of textures, but once it's there - it doesn't matter much. So now I get ~20 FPS at 2.5km VD and normal settings. Too bad I could've gotten that with only one card...

To bad arma 2 dont support multi-gpu good at all at this time ..

I think it does support multi-gpu quite ok... with a patch from ATI and Nvidia.

The latest Nvidia drivers enable SLI without any hacks... and on my friends 8800GT SLI setup it helped by about 50% on a E8400 @ 4ghz.

The problem is the game is very CPU limited, and any cpu lower than 3ghz is really not enough for the game and the GPU's are actually relaxing, even 1 will be relaxing.

This game requires 3.5ghz or 4ghz cpu's....

One thing thats a bit disappointing is that Quad Cores only give a slight improvement, it seems the game uses all 4 cores but they are only utilised about 60% each... or less.

A friend with a Q6600 @ 3.4ghz sees on average about 65% total CPU usage, that is with twi GTX280's in SLI... which should be plenty of GPU power at Normal/High settings.

Yapa

Direct Canada. I used to buy from NCIX but it seems that Direct Canada has a better service and they ship quick.

thanks, i found Sapphire 4870 1 GB for $179 and with god damn taxes it is $200. I couldn't wait to get it from Buffalo, a lot cheaper there.

To bad arma 2 dont support multi-gpu good at all at this time ..
BS, multigpu absolutely works, and [H] didnt know what they where doing...(highPP?) I double my frames with CF and Quadruple my frames with CFX... compared to single gpu. There are SP and the campaign missions that seem to have a cap? even a couple of MP missions that hold at 30/45... But overall the fast amount of missions is 4x the frames than a single GPU. Stop the FUD.

And to take one SP mission and say thats how the game runs...The game is how it runs in MP on a server or user created SPs.

Edited by kklownboy

"The biggest problem with performance in ARMA II is input lag and jittery mouse movement."

Even they mention the mouselag.

Good thing BIS are finally looking into it. And im glad i picked the HD4890, since it seems to wipe the floor with any other graphics card.

Wonder if they are used to more sim like infantry handling then the twitch shooters? Twitch shooters think the mouse is laggy in ARMA2. But after some time you get used to the new - heavier/gravity feeling in ARMA2.

If BIS changes ARMA2 into super light, no gravity, point & shoot exactlly where you want super fast back and forth - im giving up.

What you are talking about is design. The mouselag in ArmA2 is a bug. Adding 32+ms extra because of vsync buffers is not a design choise for giving the mouse in arma2 a heavier feel. The game still has a "max looking speed", wich means you cant look super fast back and forth - the limit we have now should still be there.

For some yes. Dont call it a bug when neither me or anyone i know have any mouse lag issues. with or without VSYNC etc - no problems.

Hence why BIS says "Looking at it, but couldnt reproduce the mouse lag".

Somebody posted a video demonstrating the mouse lag on his system.

Each time he moved his mouse there was a ~1 second latency before the game reacted. That was not a design feature.

For some yes. Dont call it a bug when neither me or anyone i know have any mouse lag issues. with or without VSYNC etc - no problems.

Hence why BIS says "Looking at it, but couldnt reproduce the mouse lag".

It is a bug, just because everyone doesnt suffer from it doesnt mean its not a bug. Theres a 36page thread on this forum whining about it, and now a they mention it in a PERFORMANCE-REVIEW of the game.