Sign in to follow this  
solrac42

Attachments

I have a problem with my PC resetting while playing ArmA 1.

I have uploaded the arma.RPT arma.bidmp and arma.mdmp file in a 7z file to filefront.

Any help to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

http://www.filefront.com/15402795/arma_error.7z

Edited by solrac42
Added Link

You should post your system specs + ArmA version details here.

I received an email from Administator Paul R. Stratham stating that we cannot upload attachments, so I uploaded them to Filefront for the experts to take a look at.

In the arma.RPT file there is a reference to system file

Fault address: 7C90E4F4 01:0000D4F4 C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntdll.dll

This seems to be there each time my PC resets, is it a Windows fault ???

My system is as follows :-

ArmA v1.18

Gigabyte S-Series EP45-DS3 mobo.

Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo E5200 2.5 GHZ

ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 2GB GDDR5

2 GB Kingston RAM 800 MHZ

Edited by solrac42

ntdll.dll is a Windows system file. Some possible reasons/solutions are:

Corrupt or Faulty Windows Installation

Hard drive could be damaged or...

The error may also occur if you try to perform the installation using an illegal copy or a burned copy of the operating system.

Malfunctioning Hardware

Windows installation problems and Ntdll errors may also occur if the cable that is used to connect the hard disk to the motherboard of your system is defective.

Obsolete or Faulty Driver Files

Outdated and faulty drivers may also cause Ntdll.dll errors on your system. Are your chipset drivers installed and up to date?

--------------------

Try to verify that your hard drive integrity is good. If it is, you may have to accept the fact that your Windows install is damaged and requires a fresh re-load.

Thanks DesertJedi,

I have just recently had the PC reset while playing X2 The Threat, so now I know its not ArmA 1, although it reset many more times when I played ArmA 1, it has only reset once playing X2 The Threat, I have checked the HDDs and cables in my PC and they are OK, but while I was typing in this reply my PC reset, and this is on a different Windows installation to my games HDD, so I now think it is either the power supply or the ATI card.

Thanks for your insight into the possible causes.

Edited by solrac42

It's actually good that your PC resets in other games than Arma which, as you said, tells you it's not Arma causing the problem.

If you can't even type in a forum post without a reset, it sounds like a severe hardware problem. The very first culprit to check would be your power supply - which may be failing or is way under-rated for your system.

If you rule out the power supply, the hardware troubleshooting will become much harder but I would make sure your RAM is good too.

Hi DesertJedi,

The PSU is a CIT 750W Dual rail power unit and has enough power for my spec, it was purchased in July 2009, but it could still be the cause of the problem as I have seen PSUs do this before.

Faulty RAM usually causes a BSOD or the PC will not POST and does not cause a reset in my experience.

Thanks again.

Edited by solrac42

Faulty RAM usually causes a BSOD or the PC will not POST and does not cause a reset in my experience.
Yeah, you're right - so your PC is obviously in good hands in terms of troubleshooting. :)

A friend of mine who plays on our clan server has this issue sometimes as well. It has something to do a bad USB driver, in his case.

Hi DesertJedi,

I have replaced the suspect PSU and my PC is fine now, no more resets.

Thanks again for your help.