Sign in to follow this  
BronzeEagle

source code

I know ofp has tools but is what we have now different from an sdk, or software development kit? usually other games that turn old ask for source code and stuff like that. Is it too early to ask for source code for ofp or do we already have it?

No we don't.Actual source code would've been the holy grail.Many

probs and limitations could have been addressed if that was available.

Providing there was someone willing to sift through it though.Quite

a big task.

Apparently documentation was poor also,making it even more difficult

to edit.

I don't think it'll ever be released.Perhaps it shares too much in

common with the newer titles...I'm not sure.

A pity,in any case.

maybe we should make a petition for source code. Everybody reading this, if you want the source code to be released, chime in and speak your peace. Let this thread be the petition.

The new titles use the identical engine which has been progressivly upgraded. If they released OFP's they might as well release all of them since a coder could do whats in ArmA 1 & II plus more built into OFP, thus rendering them useless.

well BIS could at least optimise the engine for OFP, instead of wasting time on that hideous game called ArmA1. I know they are busy with other projects but they could at least give somthing back to the community for the ideas we gave them for ArmA, eg the phone box, fotball filed and so on :)

I sign this petition, MARTIN :)

- Martin

Ha, if BIS released the source code, how could they expect you to keep paying for the same game over and over again? With access to the source, the modding community would produce much better product than garbage like ArmA2.

The new titles use the identical engine which has been progressivly upgraded. If they released OFP's they might as well release all of them since a coder could do whats in ArmA 1 & II plus more built into OFP, thus rendering them useless.

The Unreal engine is a constantly upgraded and improved one too, but it did not prevented Epic to recently do that :

http://www.udk.com/

Would love to see BIS doing something similar with the old OFP source code, just to see if some people skilled in coding would be able to build something with it to break some limitations.

the ofp source code wish is like the theory of a black president. the idea needs more support.

but it did not prevented Epic to recently do that

They haven't released it just for fun but to make money.

I doubt that anyone would like to make anything on OFP/ARMA/ARMA2 engine.

well BIS could at least optimise the engine for OFP,

Harsh words from many in this thread. But Arma / Arma II are upgrades of this engine with better everything so what you people are asking is just silly.

And before you say harsh things like bad performance etc in Arma 1 well if you actually downloaded the patches you would see Arma 1.17 was very much stable.

There is thousands of games out there which have many successors which haven't been updated and im sure BIS dont want to pull any of there resources from Arma II / Arrowhead and Carrier Command development for such an old game.

Also BIS will never release there engine code, only to developers who pay them big such as BIA who create the military version of there game (VBS2)

It's not going to happen.

But I don't think it was silly to ask.The thread refers to the source code,not pulling anyone away from development shedules.Which wouldn't make sense anyway,if the more recent titles are in fact re-worked versions of the original.And are by definition "upgrades/improvements" in of themselves.

But Arma / Arma II are upgrades of this engine with better everything.

As with most things of a recreational nature,that is completely subjective.Some agree with you,and some don't.Of course,we are all entitled to our opinions.

I don't believe this will happen, but just out of interest: Of the few remaining OFP-players, how many would actually pickup the code and work on it? How many have enough programming experience that they actually could work through it?

Of the few remaining OFP-players, how many would actually pickup the code and work on it?

It probably does take a few months to get a good overview and insight over everything, when the source code documentation is as incomplete as the modding documentation sometimes, but I would do it.

At the beginning my focus would be on multiplayer bugs which can ruin a game from time to time.

Edited by dengibtsschon

Is this still going? The sourcecode won't be released as the engine is still in use. Hence any discussion about that is pointless, really.

Hey, just an idea... the original BIS guys ("O.G.") made some games pre-OFP, how about releasing that source code? Just for fun, you know.

Or maybe it's too embarrassing... ;) ugly hacks and all that, you know, programmers sometimes try to hide their code from others purely out of embarrassment. I'm a hobbyist programmer so I know how this goes ;)

But what do you say, Marek and Ondřej? Have you published any of your really old projects as open-source? It could be a good way to "back up" your old projects.

They did release a very old version, can't remember where its at but they have try maby the special BIS page about making OFP.

STGN