Placebo

PC Discussion Thread II - All PC related discussion goes here.

The old one is more than 3 years old, guess it's time we go for a new one. :)

Edited by Placebo
  • Like 1

Curious as to how 5870 and 5870CF performs in Arma 2. If anyone can run some numbers? 1900x1200 min :)

There's a thread about the 5890 in the ArmA 2 General thread. There's a benchmark from some site there that shows that it performs quite well on high detail + high resolution.

Wouldn't bother with CF, it always seems to cause more hassle than it's worth.

Ok this is really bugging me, I have fast wireless internet on my laptop but want to use it through my computer to play ArmA 2 online, I have a Ethernet cable if that's any use, my computer doesn't have a wireless card, so my laptop has internet but my computer doesn't just to verify, Thanks and peace.

You will need a network card in the computer then you can link them. NICS are so cheap now.

Ok this is really bugging me, I have fast wireless internet on my laptop but want to use it through my computer to play ArmA 2 online, I have a Ethernet cable if that's any use, my computer doesn't have a wireless card, so my laptop has internet but my computer doesn't just to verify, Thanks and peace.

Does your PC not have a port for the Ethernet cable?

hello there

my lappy is on a wifi network, i hooked up my desktop computer to it by ethernet cabel.

basicly i am using my lapptop as a router for my desktop pc,

what you need to do is set up masqurade/nat,. i have no clue how you would do it in windows. but in linux is simple. :j:

so if you install linux "ubuntu" on you lapptop it should be a pize of cake to setup.

basicly what you need is to run a few commands,

ifconfig -a list up example

ra0 --> wifi card

eth0 --> ethernet card.

now in cli type:

sudo iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o ra0 -s 192.168.1.0/24 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT

sudo iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

sudo iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE

change -s 192.168.1.0/24 to your network

use the network tool to set eth0 to manualy ip 192.168.1.1 gw 0.0.0.0

or use ifconfig

su root

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

if you dont have linux installed or will not install it, no problems.. just downloade a livecd of ubuntu. put it in your cd drive. boot up your lappy from cd drive and linux is loaded from the cd. magic :p

edit:

now go to your desktop pc local area network connecton. properties for tcp/ip

set a static ip example 192.168.1.2

set the gw to the ip of eth0 card on your lappy.192.168.1.1

now it should be working.

Edited by nuxil

I'm speaking on Sgt Cresswells behalf because he's at my house "yes I do have an Ethernet cable and port, but I'm not installing Linux"

When he says Wireless connection, does he mean wireless internet like an O2/Vodafone modem, or a WLAN connection to a wireless modem in the home?

Assuming both computers run windows you might even get away with just enabling "internet connection sharing" on your laptop wifi connection.

I have a wireless card built into my laptop, but my computer doesnt, I just want to connect my computer to the internet through an ethernet connected to my laptop if possible.

You can't directly connect one computer to another with an ordinary ethernet cable, you need a particular type of cable called a "crossover" cable (they look identical to a regular ethernet cable, except the wiring is different). You can buy them reasonably easily and cheaply, but I think a basic USB wifi adapter would be much more elegant solution in the long run.

The dongle? about a year old, it's an Orange one (provider, not colour) but it's pretty slow, I'm using it now on my computer because my brother's on the laptop (I craved for ArmA II lol)

Oh wait, different type of USB wireless - that's a 3G modem (uses mobile phone network for internet) whereas you need a WLAN adaptor to connect to your broadband modem wirelessly.

None of this seems to make any sense to me but thanks for your patience, I just really need to play ArmA II online :D

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 PM ----------

I'm guessing WLAN is Wireless Lan connection, used for short range wireless connections i.e from laptop to computer, my computer doesn't have WLAN, that's why I wanted to connect the computer to the laptop and kind of use the laptop as a modem if possible.

Don't worry, it confuses everyone really... Just to make sure - who is your broadband provider?

I'm guessing WLAN is Wireless Lan connection, used for short range wireless connections i.e from laptop to computer, my computer doesn't have WLAN, that's why I wanted to connect the computer to the laptop and kind of use the laptop as a modem if possible

Yeah, WLAN is for connecting two computers, or wirelessly to a modem or router. You can get a USB WLAN adapter that will let your computer access your WLAN connection. They're not all that expensive for a decent one.

Any other ideas, I'm really annoyed with this, I've got the laptop and computer all day so I have time to try things out, help, thanks.

I have delta force blackhawk down game,but it did't run on my intel chipset.give message like H w. . .t l

I have delta force blackhawk down game,but it did't run on my intel chipset.give message like H w. . .t l

a message like what? was that what was on the screen?

Impressive stuff, looks like they are taking on Larabee. And I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being a good bit faster than ATI's current offerings.

It did't run on very intel cheapset graphics.

How many times do people keep on needing to tell you - Intel chipsets are not supported by most games... :j:

---------- Post added at 09:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

Any other ideas, I'm really annoyed with this, I've got the laptop and computer all day so I have time to try things out, help, thanks.

Is ordering parts off the internet an option or do you have to buy locally?