Sign in to follow this  
trini scourge

Secondary Ops Manager Module Discussion

If you have played the campaign then you know what I'm referring to. What surprised me was that the SOM works for user created mission also. It dynamically creates mission and objectives and enemies depending on where you are on the map. To use it simply place it on the map and synchronize it to the player's squad. Simple yet tremendously fun :)

To create a civilian population, place a Civilian Ambient Module and voila; civilians will be created dynamically from houses in the entire map. They will even take jogs and talk to each other! Want to add vehicles for more atmosphere? Just place the Ambient Vehicle module anywhere on the map.

If you know how to use some of the other modules please share with us.

Edited by trini scourge
Incorrect Info

Thats a great help! didnt know i could synchronize stuff like that!

We could definitely use an editing manual :)

SOM Modul:

(Secondary Operations Modul)

Using:

Place the SOM modul on the map and synchronice it with the player.

This modul gives you in different times secondary mission targets via radio call from the HQ. Via the communication you can accept or not accept the new orders. If you finished the objectives successfully, you become support troops or the uav or something else.

Nice modul, but they call you all 5 minutes or so :)

With the Random Civillians module you can adjust parameters in order to make it function a lot differently, is it possible to do the same with the SOM? I'd like to set it so it makes the missions further away from you, and creates them more rapidly, maybe only 1-2 minutes after the previous one, in order to create a a sort of constant random mission generator.

Edit:I meant SOM in the title. :)

Edited by MechaStalin

There is quite a lot you can configure for the SOM, including adding fully new SecOps. A random mission generator is exactly what the SOM is :) There will be more information soon, but some initial global settings:

You can override certain SOM settings by setting a "settings" variable in a SOM (do this during the first 2 seconds of a mission!). In this Array you can send the SOM your custom pool of SecOps for this mission, you can disable the standard H.Q. radio communications, you can set different callsigns and set an initial delay (default is 30 seconds). If you do not want to set all settings, you may pass nil for those that you wish to leave on their default values. A typical settings Array can look like this:

private ["_pool", "_hq", "_callsigns", "initialDelay", "_autoReinforce", "_settings"];
_pool =
[
"ambush"
];

_hq = false;

//Team text, team speech, H.Q. text, H.Q. speech.
_callsigns = ["Razor", ["Razor"], "Frostbite", ["Frostbite"]];

//Delay in seconds before starting random SecOps selection.
_initialDelay = 60;

//Should an automatic Reinforce be triggered when there are casualties?
//Default is true.
_autoReinforce = false;

_settings =
[
_pool,
_hq, 
       _callsigns, 
       _initialDelay, 
       _autoReinforce
];

_som setVariable ["settings", _settings];

What is SOM?

WHat is SecOps?

I mean the words really, apparently SOM is said to be random mission generator... but S O and M ... not compute here. Please help me out?

Thanks a lot, but I'm a bit new to the in depth side of mission editing, how exactly would I run that code?

What is SOM?

WHat is SecOps?

I mean the words really, apparently SOM is said to be random mission generator... but S O and M ... not compute here. Please help me out?

Secondary Operations Module, its what generates the little side missions in the campaign, but of course, if you run it on an empty map you essentially have a random mission generator. To use it, place the module then synchronize it with the player.

The most time, the sidemissions are just 400-500meters away from the player. Does anybody know, how to make an area for side missions?

SOM Modul:

(Secondary Operations Modul)

Using:

Place the SOM modul on the map and synchronice it with the player.

This modul gives you in different times secondary mission targets via radio call from the HQ. Via the communication you can accept or not accept the new orders. If you finished the objectives successfully, you become support troops or the uav or something else.

Nice modul, but they call you all 5 minutes or so :)

Yeah that can be change though. You need to know how to change the viarables in the thing though. As time goes on they will release demo missions to show us what we can change. From the editing forum DNA says you can change lots of things.

Ambient Combat module for instance. Place it, sync it to you or the group leader. You then go into the game and every once in awhile the Module will spawn a small war around you. WOOT.

This probably belongs in Editing but damn these modules are nice! With SOM it's like having a little bit of Dynamic War already plus it's nice to have HQ so readily in user missions.

Question: Is there a module or how do you activate Team Switch in your missions or is that not possible while in the editor?

If you need a description how to use each module, just extract the module.pbo from ArmA2 Addon folder and have a look at the scripts in the "s" directory. Every module has comments in the scripts, how they have to be used.

If you need a description how to use each module, just extract the module.pbo from ArmA2 Addon folder and have a look at the scripts in the "s" directory. Every module has comments in the scripts, how they have to be used.

Now that's a damn useful comment. Thanks NeoArmageddon! I had a feeling there would be something like this. I just didn't know what to look for.

Ok thats all well and good, in fact its brilliant! but...

If I alter the PBO for the SOM would it only effect the mission I am creating at the time or would I need to backup the original etc and put it back in at a later date?

Also, how would this work in MP? Would the altered SOM module be MP compliant?

Ok thats all well and good, in fact its brilliant! but...

If I alter the PBO for the SOM would it only effect the mission I am creating at the time or would I need to backup the original etc and put it back in at a later date?

Also, how would this work in MP? Would the altered SOM module be MP compliant?

I think you can probably just get the script from those files and just place them in the init line of the module in question. Not sure though, I haven't looked at what's in the s folder yet.

EDIT:

I'm looking through the modules.pbo and I can't find an "s" directory anywhere.

Edited by Manzilla

Still unsure of how to actually run the scripting DnA gave me. :confused:

Me to. I don't even know all the options that SOM provides. I'm having trouble getting the whole thing set up. It seems all the generated side missions are always in eye sight from the players location. I'd like to get them much further away.

In due time I know more documentation will arise but until then I have a feeling this SOM module is gonna surprise me with the degree of options and settings available.

I love the idea.

Ditto, no matter how I executed it (mission's init file, radio call external script, etc) it seemed to have no effect.

Is there a way to disable the random missions altogether, leaving only the fire support/arty funcionality of the SOM? I would like to be able to use the arty interface/radio chatter SOM provides, but not the totally random missions being constantly spit out.

Well, I got impatient and went searching for the SOM in the pbos ...

Found it in the missions.pbo file, looking through it right now. If you are interested, take a look there (cpbo works fine for depbo'ing stuff).

Is there a way to disable the random missions altogether, leaving only the fire support/arty funcionality of the SOM? I would like to be able to use the arty interface/radio chatter SOM provides, but not the totally random missions being constantly spit out.

Try this:

Put this code in the init line of your SOM game logic:

this setVariable ["settings", [[], true, nil, nil, false]];

Should run the SOM with no "side missions", you would be able to add your own via script later on if you want (I think).

For the Civilian ones (people & vehicles), you can use location logics if you want them to only populate those places. If you place the logics by themselves without synching to anything, they will populate the entire map. ;)

He probably meant the data/scripts directory of each folder.

That's what I was thinking but I checked just about every folder and couldn't see any thing that looked like the SOM scripts. Matter of fact, I didn't even see an SOM folder in the modules.pbo. Does anyone know which folder in this .pbo contains the SOM stuff?

It's in the missions pbo. Missions/som/data/scripts/secops

:)

Thank you. I guess that makes sense, eh? Good thing you are around.