Placebo

The all new: Ask a moderator about the forum & rules

This is a community forum where users help other users. The job of the moderators here is not providing customer support.

I guess his point is that the users cant help each other if the thread is locked instantly with nothing more than a "use the search" copypasta standard reply.

His point is, locking threads in this way just populates the search results with endless useless threads, as they only contain the question asked and a "use the search" reply, rather than every result containing question and answer.

$0.02

That's indeed a valid point DM. Can speak only for myself here but usually I delete such closed threads after some days so they don't show up in the search results anymore. Unfortunately we don't have a scheduler (yet) which removes such pointless threads after some time. Just closing the threads with "use the search" is indeed a bit lame, but we also cannot do the search for people all the time). Again I usually do a quick search and either post the related search results or just merge the thread with one I think fits. But everyone moderates the forums as he wants or how his time allows.

Keeping the threads open however is no solution either because:

a) Creates even more search results with useful (or not) solutions

b) encourages people even more to create a new thread for every little problem

Two things;

Although I get emails saying there's been posts in this very thread, the last post I can ever see is this one.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?72059-The-all-new-Ask-a-moderator-about-the-forum-amp-rules&p=2285341&viewfull=1#post2285341

And then, rather confusingly, I don't get topic subscription emails for other topics that I am subscribed to, or when I receive PM's.

Ah OK, I know why this is happening. The topic subscription emails are coming through late. Very late.

For example, I just had an email telling me this reply had just been posted.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?105860-Squint-the-sqf-editor-and-error-checker&p=2284716&viewfull=1#post2284716

But it was posted over a month ago, on Christmas day in fact.

All I can say is I think you're reading me wrong and I find your backhanded attempts to make this personal quite off putting. All I am trying to do is clarify what problems the original thread had. I guess I'm overstepping my bounds when I am hoping that someone like you would care, but am I mistaken when I say that you're the one who was hanging on this subject for a year now? I'm not married to the way it's working right now but I have reservations about going back to how it was before.

I think many people share the same feelings, but as of late most of the 'elder' generation of users on this forum feel less inclined to comment, suggest, speak up because that tends to be struck down with furious vengence, I post far less here because in general I feel totally bewildered in all the beaurocracy of it where I can post, what I can post, and how I'm meant to post it. (a little pulp fiction humour to lighten the mood). Anyway, I accepted the revised rules and of course I'm happy to stand by them.

I think Pufu said it best, and something I do rather miss about the old thread, is that there was always something new, a treasure trove of obscure ideas, fantastic artwork, first time O2 users and the what not. It really inspired me, each and every time I visited it. Now I and clearly the majority of the users on this forum just stay away from the bewildering array of threads that used to be contained in one. Wolle seems to have grasped the gist here, let it grow as it needs to, the elder members will report idiotic posts and general crap, as we always have, simple rules, one thread. Whilst the last thing I and anyone wants to see is a free-for-all, it seems to be that it would be more prudent to work with the community, rather than obliquely against it, and find something that works for both sides.

From my point of view, and something you once posted when you revised the old thread into its current guise, is that you appear to have some sort of ownership attachment to that thread, merely because you started it all those years ago. I suggest it soon stopped being 'your thread', and the community made it into what it required, and enjoyed. Whilst I apppreciate this is a private forum, there is no democracy and all those wonderful clichés, the users of the forum are the lifeblood of the forum, so some back and forth needs to be given - you can't moderate an empty forum.

And on the subject, if there's a lack of moderators, why aren't new ones being sourced? There are some names on the moderators list I'm sure haven't been around for donkies years now, and there are good number of prominent, helpful and fair community members who would be well placed as the face and guiding hands of the forums.

Just my 2 cents, and Max, this is in no means any slight or attack at you, no one is trying to turn it that way, we just feel that the old thread worked best for the community, and with some rules and self policing, it can do once more. The statistics speak for themselves, whether or not you wish to acknowledge them.

And on another note, perhaps I'm soft skinned on some things, but do the moderators really need to write 'idiot', 'stupid' and the what-not for the reasons why threads are locked/deleted? Scanning through the A3 forum, you'd be led to believe that the place is run by infantile minds, and whilst I'm aware it's not (I've been here long enough to get to know you, lets be honest) others have little else to base it on. I feel its a poor reflection on the forums and its members. Just write a logical reason, or none at all, and be done with it. Doon't let the infuriating idiocy of some new members and repeat posts lead you to post in kind.

Edited by Messiah

I think that the slightly anarchic nature of the old thread in many ways contributed to the creative nature of it.

I appreciate that it's often the result of active moderation, but I rarely saw the sort of hideous rule breaking on that thread that Max apparently fears. Why would a thread that's purely of interest to a small, and dare I say, mature portion of the community, be full of such naughty stuff? Makes no sense to me.

I don't want to gang up on anyone, it's really not my style, but I've done much eyebrow raising when reading Max's recent posts in this thread.

@Messiah

You're talking about two different things. On the one hand, you're talking about my attempts to create a space where community artists can help each other out with the technical side of asset creation. On the other hand, we have the moderating issue. 'Can't wait' posts are spam everywhere, regardless of what post we are talking about.

The one thing I can understand but not appreciate is the sarcastic or direct way in which threads are sometimes closed and/or people told to search before posting. This isn't particular to any specific moderator, but would largely seem to depend on the previous moderating actions of the particular moderator and his mood. When this happens it's mostly to new members not familiar with the forum ettiquette, and it's not very welcoming to perceivingly being treated in a hostile way. For you as a moderator it might be the 15th identical situation since this morning, but for that new member it will be the first (and to an unmeasurable degree last) impression they get from this forum and BIS. Even though you're not employed by BIS, nor a spokesperson for it, many people not informed of your role do perceive you as such. Closing threads and/or telling people to use the search function before posting is a good way to keep the forum clean as we like it, but only really effective when done in a mature, respectful manner. The number of "Why did you close my thread" or "I searched before posting"-type threads are only the tip of the iceberg of people that aren't helped by "quick" moderating actions (if I didn't know anything about the moderators I'd probably perceive it as inconsiderate) and therefore unlikely to evolve into a valuable member of this community nor a long time customer of BIS.

Edited by JdB

@Messiah

You're talking about two different things. On the one hand, you're talking about my attempts to create a space where community artists can help each other out with the technical side of asset creation. On the other hand, we have the moderating issue. 'Can't wait' posts are spam everywhere, regardless of what post we are talking about.

I totally agree, don't get me wrong here, but the situation we have now is also two different things; what you initiallly created, and what the community requires/wishes. No one is doubting your intentions with the creation of the current format, I don't believe for a minute you sat there stroking your white cat and remarking 'This will piss them off'.

If a 'improve your skills, modeling, features' thread is required (and I agree, its a worthy addition to the forum), then it should be in the editing section - A&M Discussion is always going to be about showing stuff off, getting a bit of praise, ideas, and inspiration for us oldies who like to see what the newer generation of modders are doing, but don't wish to subscribe and trawl through every thread there - Pufu, again, says this best - and like others here I'm not sure where the moderating issue is, people post wow, awesome, dancing bananas in every other A&M-D thread, so why are those not beaten into an inch of their lives? I think you misunderestimate our ability to self moderate and keep things in order.

I don't believe for a minute you sat there stroking your white cat and remarking 'This will piss them off'.

His cat is black.

:p

You guys having some forum issues? I just got two email notifications about PMs from over two weeks ago.

Abs

What do addon authors do when they want to release their addon but a WIP forum thread was created? Do they PM admins to move that thread to "Addons - Complete" or do they create a new thread?

The tricky part is what does the addon author do when they announced WIP updates in the WIP thread, which gets turned into a release thread? That makes the first post more recent than the succeeding ones which is confusing.

Edited by Double Doppler

You guys having some forum issues? I just got two email notifications about PMs from over two weeks ago.

Abs

I've been getting similar issues for weeks. I got one that was 44 days late recently.

What do addon authors do when they want to release their addon but a WIP forum thread was created? Do they PM admins to move that thread to "Addons - Complete" or do they create a new thread?

The tricky part is what does the addon author do when they announced WIP updates in the WIP thread, which gets turned into a release thread? That makes the first post more recent than the succeeding ones which is confusing.

Common practice is having the WIP thread in the Discussion section closed and a new one is created in the Completed section for the release. You can use the "Report post" function for your WIP thread and ask for closing.

I've been getting similar issues for weeks. I got one that was 44 days late recently.

I am too getting this problem. I've had 4 PM's last week but not recieved 1 email telling me i have. It's also delaying model progress as i'm sending messages to members who are helping get stuff fixed but the members arnt getting emails to tell them they have a PM from me :(

Yes the email situation is annoying. It would be great if the problem could be fixed for good (past years has been often problems with it).

Yes the email situation is annoying. It would be great if the problem could be fixed for good (past years has been often problems with it).

Yes, please guys. Let's get this fixed.

Sigh.

Just had an email telling me this post had just been made.

Yes, 18 days ago. It's really time to get this fixed.

I'm not getting any other emails. I've had half a dozen PM this year and not had an email about any of them. It's time to fix this too.

Tanky -Paul-

Just to clarify, us volunteer moderators have no hand in maintaining the forum software. I am letting you know this in case you would get more expedient feedback if you contacted a forum staff member directly or perhaps post in the forum bugs / suggestions thread.

Hi there, I know i've been joshin all day in the Arma3/Blog thread about "waiting for the real big news" but the thread is literally boiled over with Steam. Any chance we could get our Blog thread back for other interesting news and maybe use the Steam thread for it's own discussion?

Good point, announcement made and the Steamworks thread renamed so it's more 'up to date'. :)

I understand that I need to be a "regular forum user" according to the rules in order to access my settings. I am trying to PM users in the "looking for squad" thread and am unable to do so. Can an admin turn my PM'ing ON so that I can use this function? It seems silly to encourage me to post stupid threads just in order to meet some "regular forum user" post count requirement... This is essentially the position I feel I am in - any excuse to post, just to become a "regular user", just so that I can send a PM. I primarily use the DayZ mod forums, for example, to get in touch with like minded players - something I am unable to do here, the appropriate forum to do so for the Wasteland mod. Yes I can post a thread advertising my group which I have done, but I typically have more luck inviting people to play with us compared with waiting for people to look at a public recruitment post and waiting for them to show up on our website.

Also, if I PM users who are equally new to the forums, will they even be able to PM me back?

Additionally, I am not sure how it happened but my username is my email address which you can imagine is not ideal. I don't even know if its possible to change it in my settings because I can't access them...

EDIT Feb202013 8:20pm UTC:

Apparently this post, being my 3rd post, allowed me access to my settings. That or someone gave me access in which case thank you. I found a username change thread, which is currently on hold, so if that can still be dealt with I would appreciate it.

Edited by Nomnomnom

It's quite possible that receiving PMs is disabled for new users now. I had 2 complaints from other users already this week saying they can't send PMs to other people who just registered.

This is something we must look into.