Sign in to follow this  
franze

Gears & striders pack 1

The Heavy Gear - Gears & Striders Pack 1 has been released!

Among other things, this pack adds 16 units:

Assault Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

Cheetah Fang

Grizzly

Grizzly Destroyer

Mammoth

Brawler Mammoth

Blitz Jäger

Jäger

Iguana

Iguana, 2x MAC

Spitting Cobra

Support Cobra

Naga

Long Fang Naga

Plus:

New hit point system

Status bar, with speed, armor, altitude & fuel indicators

New weapon characteristics

Autocannon magazine system

And more!

You may get it here.

Picture.

(Note: if you have any previous versions of the publically* released Heavy Gear addons, you must delete them before installing.)

*Publically released addons include: Strider pack, General Purpose gear pack, Scout gear pack, and the Fire Support Gear pack.

'Fraid not (darnit!). sad_o.gif

Not yet - the cavalry crews and the northern pilots are really, really, REALLY unfinished. But they're underway...

please improve the textures  sad_o.gif

Don´t make them so toyish sad_o.gif

Haven't seen Franze in awhile.

lol..his last post was precisely 18 minutes ago Koolkid tounge_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

please improve the textures  sad_o.gif

Don´t make them so toyish sad_o.gif

Afraid thats the way they'll have to stay for a bit.

Look at the bright side - I'm workin' on it.

It's just too bad that none of the skilled animators floating around the OFP community are willing to help addon makers like Franze to animate their mechas. They don't look very convincing when all they do is slide around on their feet. sad_o.gif

It's not necessarily that. I've got some animations setup, but the problem is - how do you get the engine to allow custom vehicle actions? One workaround might be to set the model as a infantryman object when the player is in it, and when the player gets out set it as a static object. But last time I tried to make a 5 meter tall infantryman, the game crashed on me.

If it were within the bounds of the engine, I'd go for it. But alas, the engine doesn't accept vehicle animations outside of rotation, and these things would need something beyond a toy soldier walk you'd get out of rotation animations.

do these tip very easily like the other mechs tend to do? I remember making missions where mechs would be coming into a city and you'd have to defend it, and it took 1 tank shell to tip the thing over, and it just layed there. Does these tend to stay up better?

They are balanced so that the center of gravity is in the feet. They can tip over if hit hard enough, but if you "fall" they'll tip back upright momentarily.

And usually when tank weapons of 100mm+ caliber are brought about, the gears tend to be obsolete... unless going fast or is one of the support gears.

Cool they tip over.Now thats worth seeing.Huge Mech falling down a hill.I guess its just me.Anyways.Man them mech look fabulious.Textures a decent enough.I wish they counld walk instead of slid.But I know how that is.I tried to get a GunDam to work one time.But had no luck.

Franze, please take this tip of me, Make them a bit smaller, AND TAKE THE NORMAL OPF SOLDIER ANIMATIONS! smile_o.gif

That works just fine!!

Opf scifi is making a WH40k mod, and there are battlesuits for the Tau, they have the normal soldier animations! wow_o.gif it´s working just fine, they are twiche as tall as a normal soldier!.

Besides Gears act like Huge Soldiers.

If you want I´ll contact you with a friend of mine who knows how.

Try this Franze!...please!

It's something to think about. But... no torso twist? No 5 meter tall gears as they were meant to be? What about the SMS functions availible to the gears, giving boosts of speed to 72 - 90 KPH?

AFAIK, the current way of doing them may not be fancy, but it works, plain and simple. Doesn't mean I won't try anything new or different, just means that it's not my primary goal with these addons.

Well i think you could leave the size as it is.

Won´t bother the animation.

But you could atleast make some Gears with, and without the animations ?

Y dont u tell ur friend to write a tutorial so that everyone knows how to do it?

It's quite simple, really. You basically take a M113 or BMP, give it one crewman (driver), and you ought to be good to go.

Assuming thats what you mean, of course...

i mean a way of applying BIS anims to the mechs...apparently Sxeps friend knows how to do it. Seems like he is THE ONLY one who knows how to do it them y not make a tutorial?

i mean a way of applying BIS anims to the mechs...apparently Sxeps friend knows how to do it. Seems like he is THE ONLY one who knows how to do it them y not make a tutorial?

He didn´t exactly tell me how to, but its fearly simple!

You just make the mech as you would make a new soldier model. Thats all!

PS: I´ll ask him if its something special.

Could also be he wants to keep it secret.. wink_o.gif

EDIT: How come no one else had that idea???

It´s that simple.

He didn´t exactly tell me how to, but its fearly simple!

You just make the mech as you would make a new soldier model. Thats all!

PS: I´ll ask him if its something special.

Could also be he wants to keep it secret.. wink_o.gif

EDIT: How come no one else had that idea???

It´s that simple.

Unfortunately, that also means it is no longer a vehicle... and isn't that what making mecha is all about? rock.gif

Well who cares as long as it´s walking?

And you can add tons of armor to it too.

So whats the big deal?

A stupid Stiff Toy robot, or a more dynamic "realistic" Gear?

so asked Shard:"well first you model them the same as normal soldiers at the same size look through all the LODs at then when you scale the model scale evrything else too. And to think everybody else at this years and the first person to accidentally stumble across it is a newbie that has a knack for modelling.... I'm talking about me being the first to discover how to make big shit. Hmm moving shit now that would be hilarious"  smile_o.gif

PS: according to this you can make a 50m high Mech...